[OFBiz] Dev - product content wrapper caching

[OFBiz] Dev - product content wrapper caching

Si Chen-2
David,

I noticed you removed the product content caching in the
ProductContentWrapper.  You said it needs to do "auto cache clear".  Can
you explain what needs to be done to do the caching correctly?

This was my patch originally, and it's really improved the performance
on our site.  I'd like to make sure that we're doing it correctly.  Also
if anybody else needs it, it'd be nice if it's in the code base.

Thanks,

Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - product content wrapper caching

David E. Jones

Si,

The trick with this caching is not in the caching properly, but in
the clearing of the cache. After running into a few problems with it,
especially with less technical new users that aren't comfortable with
the big list of caches in WebTools, I decided to comment it out. That
was probably a little bit extreme, so I added it back in and also a
line in the cache.properties file to give it a 5 minute timeout.

Ideally we'd have some automatic, or even manual based on services or
something, cache clearing mechanism so that we didn't have the
problem of changing things like a product name or image URL in the
catalog manager and not having it reflect on the ecommerce site and
getting confused and frustrated. That's not easy to do though, or in
other words can require a bit of work, so hopefully this is a happy
medium.

The changes are in SVN rev 5467.

-David

On Aug 5, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> I noticed you removed the product content caching in the
> ProductContentWrapper.  You said it needs to do "auto cache
> clear".  Can you explain what needs to be done to do the caching
> correctly?
> This was my patch originally, and it's really improved the
> performance on our site.  I'd like to make sure that we're doing it
> correctly.  Also if anybody else needs it, it'd be nice if it's in
> the code base.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - product content wrapper caching

Si Chen-2
Thanks for looking into this, David.

Si

David E. Jones wrote:

> Si,
>
> The trick with this caching is not in the caching properly, but in
> the clearing of the cache. After running into a few problems with it,
> especially with less technical new users that aren't comfortable with
> the big list of caches in WebTools, I decided to comment it out. That
> was probably a little bit extreme, so I added it back in and also a
> line in the cache.properties file to give it a 5 minute timeout.
>
> Ideally we'd have some automatic, or even manual based on services or
> something, cache clearing mechanism so that we didn't have the
> problem of changing things like a product name or image URL in the
> catalog manager and not having it reflect on the ecommerce site and
> getting confused and frustrated. That's not easy to do though, or in
> other words can require a bit of work, so hopefully this is a happy
> medium.
>
> The changes are in SVN rev 5467.
>
> -David
>

> On Aug 5, 2005, at 6:01 PM, Si Chen wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> I noticed you removed the product content caching in the
>> ProductContentWrapper.  You said it needs to do "auto cache  clear".
>> Can you explain what needs to be done to do the caching  correctly?
>> This was my patch originally, and it's really improved the
>> performance on our site.  I'd like to make sure that we're doing it
>> correctly.  Also if anybody else needs it, it'd be nice if it's in
>> the code base.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - product content wrapper caching

Adam Heath-2
On Tue, 9 Aug 2005, Si Chen wrote:

> Thanks for looking into this, David.
>
> Si
>
> David E. Jones wrote:
>

> > Si,
> >
> > The trick with this caching is not in the caching properly, but in
> > the clearing of the cache. After running into a few problems with it,
> > especially with less technical new users that aren't comfortable with
> > the big list of caches in WebTools, I decided to comment it out. That
> > was probably a little bit extreme, so I added it back in and also a
> > line in the cache.properties file to give it a 5 minute timeout.
> >
> > Ideally we'd have some automatic, or even manual based on services or
> > something, cache clearing mechanism so that we didn't have the
> > problem of changing things like a product name or image URL in the
> > catalog manager and not having it reflect on the ecommerce site and
> > getting confused and frustrated. That's not easy to do though, or in
> > other words can require a bit of work, so hopefully this is a happy
> > medium.

If you are generating an object graph *solely* from a view entity+condition,
then you can get automatic cache clearing, using the entity engine's caching
framework.

However, if you have to read from anything else, or have to do date filter on
the query, then this feature won't help you.

ps: if I wasn't clear, the feature I'm talking about has existing for over a
year, but has probably not been utilized much.