[OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

[OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Si Chen-2
Hi everyone -

Why did Derby replace HSQL as the default database?  I just turned it
back to HSQL and found that
1) It was blazing fast.  A run-install that usually takes 5+ minutes on
Derby took 1 minute 46 seconds on HSQL.
2) I was able to avoid some BLOB/BINARY data problems that I was having
with Derby.

So, just kind of curious - wouldn't HSQL be as good or better as a
default demo database?

Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Ray Barlow
I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
made tweaking data easy for development.

Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
the two lately so wont list features but it was
considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
yet seen a better replacment for Derby.

Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....

Ray

--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone -
>
> Why did Derby replace HSQL as the default database?
> I just turned it
> back to HSQL and found that
> 1) It was blazing fast.  A run-install that usually
> takes 5+ minutes on
> Derby took 1 minute 46 seconds on HSQL.
> 2) I was able to avoid some BLOB/BINARY data
> problems that I was having
> with Derby.
>
> So, just kind of curious - wouldn't HSQL be as good
> or better as a
> default demo database?
>
> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Si Chen-2
Ray,

I just ran the entity engine tests and HSQL passed all the ones for
transactions and fk constraints.

It is not as scalable a database and all else equal, Derby may be
better.  But the real reason for suggesting that we go back to HSQL as
the development database is that it can then allow us to fix the
outstanding blob problem for HSQL, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - so we'll have
an entity engine that works on a testing/demo database and the two main
deployment databases.

See comments at the end of
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334

Si

Ray Barlow wrote:

>I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
>preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
>made tweaking data easy for development.
>
>Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
>db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
>the two lately so wont list features but it was
>considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
>for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
>Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
>yet seen a better replacment for Derby.
>
>Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....
>
>Ray
>
>--- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hi everyone -
>>
>>Why did Derby replace HSQL as the default database?
>>I just turned it
>>back to HSQL and found that
>>1) It was blazing fast.  A run-install that usually
>>takes 5+ minutes on
>>Derby took 1 minute 46 seconds on HSQL.
>>2) I was able to avoid some BLOB/BINARY data
>>problems that I was having
>>with Derby.
>>
>>So, just kind of curious - wouldn't HSQL be as good
>>or better as a
>>default demo database?
>>
>>Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Si,

one problem of HSQL is that it doesn't manage correctly fields' lengths:
for example you can store (at least you could, last time I tested it)
strings longer than the field's length without errors.

Another consideration is that you could use DerbyDb also in a production
system (in small companies),

However you are right, HSQL is incredibly fast and efficient for
development!

So I really don't know which is the best way to go.

Any other commets/suggestions?

Jacopo

Si Chen wrote:

> Ray,
>
> I just ran the entity engine tests and HSQL passed all the ones for
> transactions and fk constraints.
>
> It is not as scalable a database and all else equal, Derby may be
> better.  But the real reason for suggesting that we go back to HSQL as
> the development database is that it can then allow us to fix the
> outstanding blob problem for HSQL, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - so we'll have
> an entity engine that works on a testing/demo database and the two main
> deployment databases.
>
> See comments at the end of
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
>
> Si
>
> Ray Barlow wrote:
>
>> I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
>> preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
>> made tweaking data easy for development.
>>
>> Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
>> db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
>> the two lately so wont list features but it was
>> considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
>> for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
>> Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
>> yet seen a better replacment for Derby.
>>
>> Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> --- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi everyone -
>>>
>>> Why did Derby replace HSQL as the default database? I just turned it
>>> back to HSQL and found that
>>> 1) It was blazing fast.  A run-install that usually
>>> takes 5+ minutes on Derby took 1 minute 46 seconds on HSQL.
>>> 2) I was able to avoid some BLOB/BINARY data
>>> problems that I was having with Derby.
>>>
>>> So, just kind of curious - wouldn't HSQL be as good
>>> or better as a default demo database?
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

That's not a big problem for developpers, they can change as they want

Jacques

> one problem of HSQL is that it doesn't manage correctly fields' lengths:
> for example you can store (at least you could, last time I tested it)
> strings longer than the field's length without errors.
>
> Another consideration is that you could use DerbyDb also in a production
> system (in small companies),
>
> However you are right, HSQL is incredibly fast and efficient for
> development!
>
> So I really don't know which is the best way to go.
>
> Any other commets/suggestions?
>
> Jacopo
>

> Si Chen wrote:
> > Ray,
> >
> > I just ran the entity engine tests and HSQL passed all the ones for
> > transactions and fk constraints.
> >
> > It is not as scalable a database and all else equal, Derby may be
> > better.  But the real reason for suggesting that we go back to HSQL as
> > the development database is that it can then allow us to fix the
> > outstanding blob problem for HSQL, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - so we'll have
> > an entity engine that works on a testing/demo database and the two main
> > deployment databases.
> >
> > See comments at the end of
> > http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
> >
> > Si
> >
> > Ray Barlow wrote:
> >
> >> I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
> >> preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
> >> made tweaking data easy for development.
> >>
> >> Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
> >> db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
> >> the two lately so wont list features but it was
> >> considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
> >> for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
> >> Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
> >> yet seen a better replacment for Derby.
> >>
> >> Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....
> >>
> >> Ray

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Ray Barlow
If the main recommended production databases have issues that are being
held up by the development use of Derby then I don't think there is any
choice, but to stop using Derby. We should always prioritise the likes
of PostgreSQL over Derby.

Ray

Si Chen wrote:

> Ray,
>
> I just ran the entity engine tests and HSQL passed all the ones for
> transactions and fk constraints.
>
> It is not as scalable a database and all else equal, Derby may be
> better.  But the real reason for suggesting that we go back to HSQL as
> the development database is that it can then allow us to fix the
> outstanding blob problem for HSQL, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - so we'll
> have an entity engine that works on a testing/demo database and the
> two main deployment databases.
>
> See comments at the end of
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
>
> Si
>
> Ray Barlow wrote:
>
>> I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
>> preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
>> made tweaking data easy for development.
>>
>> Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
>> db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
>> the two lately so wont list features but it was
>> considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
>> for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
>> Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
>> yet seen a better replacment for Derby.
>>
>> Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....
>>
>> Ray
>>
>> --- Si Chen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi everyone -
>>>
>>> Why did Derby replace HSQL as the default database? I just turned it
>>> back to HSQL and found that
>>> 1) It was blazing fast.  A run-install that usually
>>> takes 5+ minutes on Derby took 1 minute 46 seconds on HSQL.
>>> 2) I was able to avoid some BLOB/BINARY data
>>> problems that I was having with Derby.
>>>
>>> So, just kind of curious - wouldn't HSQL be as good
>>> or better as a default demo database?
>>>
>>> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

>We should always prioritise the likes
> of PostgreSQL over Derby.

I agree. Actually, I always use PostGres. Perhaps HSQL is really faster for demo
?

Jacques

> If the main recommended production databases have issues that are being
> held up by the development use of Derby then I don't think there is any
> choice, but to stop using Derby. We should always prioritise the likes
> of PostgreSQL over Derby.
>
> Ray
>
> Si Chen wrote:
>
> > Ray,
> >
> > I just ran the entity engine tests and HSQL passed all the ones for
> > transactions and fk constraints.
> >
> > It is not as scalable a database and all else equal, Derby may be
> > better.  But the real reason for suggesting that we go back to HSQL as
> > the development database is that it can then allow us to fix the
> > outstanding blob problem for HSQL, PostgreSQL, and MySQL - so we'll
> > have an entity engine that works on a testing/demo database and the
> > two main deployment databases.
> >
> > See comments at the end of
> > http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
> >
> > Si
> >
> > Ray Barlow wrote:
> >
> >> I asked the same question a while back now, as I also
> >> preferred hsql for speed and the text format which
> >> made tweaking data easy for development.
> >>
> >> Derby does have it's problems, but it also has better
> >> db functionality like foreign keys. I've not compared
> >> the two lately so wont list features but it was
> >> considered to be better to have a more restrictive db
> >> for development to catch bugs earlier in the process.
> >> Basically I couldn't argue against that and haven't
> >> yet seen a better replacment for Derby.
> >>
> >> Maybe Oracle's new freebie db hmmmm.....
> >>
> >> Ray

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - why did derby replace hsql?

Si Chen-2
Thanks for the feedback, everybody.  What has worked for me is in that
JIRA issue below, and it seems to be good with HSQL for demo and
PostgreSQL/MySQL for production.  I wonder what David, Andy, and others'
experience has been like?

Si