[OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Manuel Meyer
Hi All,

Postgres 8.1 has been released, and it looks much faster under win32 than
8.0.
The Postgres team is saying that they made a big performance effort on the
win32 version, and I have the impression that it is clearly visible.
When you checkout an order, the checkout process is closed to instantaneous,
while it was taking a couple of seconds with 8.0. (same date base restored
under 8.1, same OFBiz version, same machine)

Has anyone tested and share the same impression?

Best regards,
Manuel Meyer

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Si Chen-2
Manuel,

Did you have any problems with Postgresql 8.1 that are similar to the
OID/BYTEA problems reported here:
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334

Did you encounter any problems installing seed data or quick shipping
orders?

Si

Manuel Meyer wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Postgres 8.1 has been released, and it looks much faster under win32 than
>8.0.
>The Postgres team is saying that they made a big performance effort on the
>win32 version, and I have the impression that it is clearly visible.
>When you checkout an order, the checkout process is closed to instantaneous,
>while it was taking a couple of seconds with 8.0. (same date base restored
>under 8.1, same OFBiz version, same machine)
>
>Has anyone tested and share the same impression?
>
>Best regards,
>Manuel Meyer

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Hello Si and Manue,

I tried also 8.1 on WIndows and yes it's really quicker and I got no error on
run-install

Jacques

> Did you have any problems with Postgresql 8.1 that are similar to the
> OID/BYTEA problems reported here:
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
>
> Did you encounter any problems installing seed data or quick shipping
> orders?
>
> Si
>
> Manuel Meyer wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Postgres 8.1 has been released, and it looks much faster under win32 than
> >8.0.
> >The Postgres team is saying that they made a big performance effort on the
> >win32 version, and I have the impression that it is clearly visible.
> >When you checkout an order, the checkout process is closed to instantaneous,
> >while it was taking a couple of seconds with 8.0. (same date base restored
> >under 8.1, same OFBiz version, same machine)
> >
> >Has anyone tested and share the same impression?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Manuel Meyer

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Manuel Meyer
Hi Amigos,
I've done 2 things so far:

- I've backed up a DB from a running site and loaded it on a test site with
version 8.1 and played around with - no errors (but no really deep and hard
tests also, just a quick check)
- I've downloaded and installed the last SVN release and did a run install
and played around, no errors.

Regarding the JIRA issue, if you tell me what to test, I can do a test using
the last SVN and I'll be happy to give you the results I get.

Best regards,
Manuel

> Did you have any problems with Postgresql 8.1 that are similar to the
> OID/BYTEA problems reported here:
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-334
>
> Did you encounter any problems installing seed data or quick shipping
> orders?
>
> Si
>
> Manuel Meyer wrote:
>
> >Hi All,
> >
> >Postgres 8.1 has been released, and it looks much faster under win32 than
> >8.0.
> >The Postgres team is saying that they made a big performance effort on
the
> >win32 version, and I have the impression that it is clearly visible.
> >When you checkout an order, the checkout process is closed to
instantaneous,
> >while it was taking a couple of seconds with 8.0. (same date base
restored

> >under 8.1, same OFBiz version, same machine)
> >
> >Has anyone tested and share the same impression?
> >
> >Best regards,
> >Manuel Meyer

http://www.eset.com

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Si Chen-2
Hmm...  Reading that thread again, it seems that the default BLOB type
in postgresql of OID is good enough for null data, so loading should be
fine.  The problem we had originally experienced was one with storing
images (shipping labels) into BLOB.

I think the only way to test this is to expand the entity engine tests
and make it try to store an image (like the OFBiz logo) into the
database.  I got this started with
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-550

Can anyone help with this?

David - would you mind committing my patch when you have a chance?  I
have access to EntityEngineTest.java but not to entitymodel_test.xml.

Thanks,

Si

Manuel Meyer wrote:

>Hi Amigos,
>I've done 2 things so far:
>
>- I've backed up a DB from a running site and loaded it on a test site with
>version 8.1 and played around with - no errors (but no really deep and hard
>tests also, just a quick check)
>- I've downloaded and installed the last SVN release and did a run install
>and played around, no errors.
>
>Regarding the JIRA issue, if you tell me what to test, I can do a test using
>the last SVN and I'll be happy to give you the results I get.
>
>Best regards,
>Manuel

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Manuel Meyer
Hi Si,
Tell me what you think and I'll be glad to give a hand

Regards,
Manuel

Manuel Meyer wrote:

>Hi Amigos,
>I've done 2 things so far:
>
>- I've backed up a DB from a running site and loaded it on a test site with
>version 8.1 and played around with - no errors (but no really deep and hard
>tests also, just a quick check)
>- I've downloaded and installed the last SVN release and did a run install
>and played around, no errors.
>
>Regarding the JIRA issue, if you tell me what to test, I can do a test
using
>the last SVN and I'll be happy to give you the results I get.
>
>Best regards,
>Manuel

http://www.eset.com

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Postgres 8.1

Si Chen-2
Manuel,

Do you think this can be done?
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-580

(Basically, storing an image into the database using the entity engine's
GenericEntity.setBytes(...) method.)

Si