[OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

[OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

David E. Jones

This has been a problem for a long time and perhaps now would be a
good time to solve it with 2 communities emerging. Those that want a
download to use as is can now use Sequoia, and those that want to
participate in development or want the latest and greatest can use
OFBiz.

So, I am voting for the option of removing the old OFBiz downloads as
they just waste the time of those who try them and our time as we get
questions about them...

Also for Si: I'd REALLY appreciate more clarification, right up front
on the home page and in various other places too, that Sequoia is
based on OFBiz and the two communities are targeted to users as I
describe above. I am also a little tired of getting all sorts of
email about this and describing over and over what OFBiz and Sequoia
are and what the intention is. In other words, without this it is
VERY confusing to people! I got an email today asking questions about
Sequoia documentation since I wrote the OFBiz Basic Production Setup
Guide... in other words people are having a hard time figuring out
what all this stuff means.

RE: [OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

Firas A.-2
On OFBiz and Sequoia...

I totally agree with David. The other day I was about to post a question
asking about the difference between the two.

</Firas>

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

Si Chen-2
David,

I think this is a good idea.  Perhaps on the sourceforge.net site for
ofbiz there could be a news item for where to get the latest release.

I also updated the sequoiaerp.org home page to put in the link to
ofbiz.org.  I've tried to make the relationship as clear as possible and
also point developers to ofbiz.org.  Can you suggest any other place for
me to put this kind of information?  I'm happy to add it.

Last of all--this is a personal observation--I would really appreciate
it if people post their questions to the mailing lists or forums or
somewhere public, so we can all help out and also all see these things.
I think this is also standard for many open source projects.  I don't
know why people think they can get priority support by writing one of us
directly.

Si

Firas A. wrote:

>On OFBiz and Sequoia...
>
>I totally agree with David. The other day I was about to post a question
>asking about the difference between the two.
>
></Firas>

Andrew Sykes
Si/David,

Perhaps part of the problem in terms of causing confusion between OFBiz
and SequoiaERP is the complete lack of any link between the two names.

While I like the Sequoia name and initially didn't think it was
important to link the two together, I'm now beginning to wonder...

Here's how it looks to the client I'm working with at the moment...

"OFBiz is released under the MIT license which gives us loads of
freedom, OFBiz doesn't seem to be owned by anyone, so it's not going to
disappear if some little development company goes bust."

"SequoiaERP, hmm sounds/looks like proprietary software, what sort of
license is it released under? So is this another Neogia? Who actually
owns Sequoia ERP? What happens if opensourcestrategies.com goes bust?"

These are actual questions (condensed into anecdotal form) that I've
been asked over the past 2 weeks.

So, I've taken pretty much a 180 degree turn in my opinion given the
feedback I'm getting.

I think Sequoia and Si's work mark the beginning of a new epoch in
OFBiz' development and will be pivotal going forward. Consequently, I'm
keen to help, but I'm not sure the name or the degree of separation is
such a great idea. Both because it has nothing to do with OFBiz and
because of the whole TradeMark issue.

If also seems a little bizarre that weekly releases are coming from
www.opensourcestrategies.com and sequoia from www.sequoiaerp.org. This
seems to give a rather warped perspective and doesn't really fairly give
credit to those doing the work. I realise that these have to be hosted
somewhere, could we perhaps have a list of mirrors on ofbiz.org. So that
ofbiz.org is the first port of call for all things OFBiz.

Maybe those interested in providing mirror space could let themselves be
known, We'd be happy to offer space ourselves.

The biggest danger I can see is that a company decides it's a great
marketing trick to start wrestling attention from OFBiz (or Sequoia) to
raise their profile. I feel Sequoia is inadvertently providing this
precedent at present.

Sorry to reopen this old debate, but I feel I have to comment given that
recent experience has made me so drastically change my point of view.

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

I too think we should stress the attention over the fact that OFBiz and
SequoiaERP are complementary projects: the former is oriented to
development, the latter is end-user oriented.

So removing the links to the OFBiz-3.0.0 release is a good think (also
the concept of an OFBiz release is really no more needed).

Also, maybe I'm playing with words, but I'd stress more attention over
the fact that SequoiaERP is the OFBiz distribution instead of a product
based on OFBiz.
In my opinion, this would help clarify things to users.

Jacopo

Si Chen wrote:

> David,
>
> I think this is a good idea.  Perhaps on the sourceforge.net site for
> ofbiz there could be a news item for where to get the latest release.
>
> I also updated the sequoiaerp.org home page to put in the link to
> ofbiz.org.  I've tried to make the relationship as clear as possible and
> also point developers to ofbiz.org.  Can you suggest any other place for
> me to put this kind of information?  I'm happy to add it.
>
> Last of all--this is a personal observation--I would really appreciate
> it if people post their questions to the mailing lists or forums or
> somewhere public, so we can all help out and also all see these things.
> I think this is also standard for many open source projects.  I don't
> know why people think they can get priority support by writing one of us
> directly.
>
> Si
>
> Firas A. wrote:
>
>> On OFBiz and Sequoia...
>>
>> I totally agree with David. The other day I was about to post a question
>> asking about the difference between the two.
>>
>> </Firas>

MPF-2
To all,
an interesting discussion going on here :-)

my 2 cents on this:

- The way SequoiaERP is marketed is attracting many people to ofbiz and Si
does a great job on that
-   weekly builds and stable release are needed for a erp-system and it is
Si who does that job. Thanks!
-  The delisting from sourceforge didnt help ofbiz's popularity.
- The more distributions the more confusing it is for the customer! You
can watch that on the linux side. Microsoft is laughing while the linux
world is diversifying instead of concentrating powers. A solution to this
problem is not insight and the tendency is that there are more
distributions will pop up and vanish in time.
- OFBIZ has been going in this direction allready with
www.opentravelsystem.org and www.openegovernment.org. However it seems
that the sequoiaerp has attracted more market attention than the other to
sites.

I see a improvment if some of the following things could be achieved

- Remove any of the 3.0.0 links!!!!
- have one organisational identity framework that is used by ofbiz and
distri's
www.opentravelsystem.org and www.openegovernment.org come close to that
approach. However it seems that the sites dont attract as many as those
sites of www.sequoiaerp.org
- relauch ofbiz.sourceforge.org to maintain the releases, answer questions
to release schedules and (sequoiaerp, neogia.... is than handeld as a copy
or maybe a fork of those releases)
- Have ofbiz point to the sourceforge for distri's and explain why there
are distri's
- Have the distri's point out the differences from ofbiz.org and link to
ofbiz.org

The last two points are allready there but there isnt much textual
explantion around it. That could be improved
The point regarding an "organisational identity framework" is a marketing
problem. The current identity has been developed by David and Andy I
guess!? Maybe its time to revamp that in a community effort? With the goal
in mind that it needs to be extensible for distri's (The penguin image for
example does play that role in linux distri's)

This would give the project a more professional 3 level structure:

1. CORE TEAM: development site www.ofbiz.org just pointing to the Release
site
2. RELEASES TEAM: Releases http://sourceforge.net/projects/ofbiz pointing
back to ofbiz and distributions
3. DISTRIBUTIONS/MODIFICATIONS: Distributions Sites like neogia, sequoia,
opentravelsystem.... point just back to the release site

As far as I know this is the way SAP is maintained internally but they
have a supirior automatism to transport the changes from on codebase to
the other. But the paradigma is the same.

Paralell there should be a founding of a OFBIZ Group based on the model of
the JBOSS Group.

I really feel that ofbiz demand will exploede in the next 18 month. The
comparison discussion with compiere is a indicator for that.

Wishes are nice and I know those points consume alot of time.

Michael

[hidden email] wrote on 09.11.2005 11:40:09:

> I too think we should stress the attention over the fact that OFBiz and
> SequoiaERP are complementary projects: the former is oriented to
> development, the latter is end-user oriented.
>
> So removing the links to the OFBiz-3.0.0 release is a good think (also
> the concept of an OFBiz release is really no more needed).
>
> Also, maybe I'm playing with words, but I'd stress more attention over
> the fact that SequoiaERP is the OFBiz distribution instead of a product
> based on OFBiz.
> In my opinion, this would help clarify things to users.
>
> Jacopo
>

> Si Chen wrote:
> > David,
> >
> > I think this is a good idea.  Perhaps on the sourceforge.net site for
> > ofbiz there could be a news item for where to get the latest release.
> >
> > I also updated the sequoiaerp.org home page to put in the link to
> > ofbiz.org.  I've tried to make the relationship as clear as possible
and
> > also point developers to ofbiz.org.  Can you suggest any other place
for
> > me to put this kind of information?  I'm happy to add it.
> >
> > Last of all--this is a personal observation--I would really appreciate

> > it if people post their questions to the mailing lists or forums or
> > somewhere public, so we can all help out and also all see these
things.
> > I think this is also standard for many open source projects.  I don't
> > know why people think they can get priority support by writing one of
us
> > directly.
> >
> > Si
> >
> > Firas A. wrote:
> >
> >> On OFBiz and Sequoia...
> >>
> >> I totally agree with David. The other day I was about to post a
question

> >> asking about the difference between the two.
> >>
> >> </Firas>

Andrew,

In answer to your questions,

1.  SequoiaERP is not proprietary software.  It is released under the
MIT Public License.

2.  If Open Source Strategies "goes bust," you would be using a slightly
older version of OFBiz with a few tweaks for backward compatibility.
Anybody who is familiar with OFBiz should be able to work it.

Si

Andrew Sykes wrote:

>Si/David,
>
>Perhaps part of the problem in terms of causing confusion between OFBiz
>and SequoiaERP is the complete lack of any link between the two names.
>
>While I like the Sequoia name and initially didn't think it was
>important to link the two together, I'm now beginning to wonder...
>
>Here's how it looks to the client I'm working with at the moment...
>
>"OFBiz is released under the MIT license which gives us loads of
>freedom, OFBiz doesn't seem to be owned by anyone, so it's not going to
>disappear if some little development company goes bust."
>
>"SequoiaERP, hmm sounds/looks like proprietary software, what sort of
>license is it released under? So is this another Neogia? Who actually
>owns Sequoia ERP? What happens if opensourcestrategies.com goes bust?"
>
>These are actual questions (condensed into anecdotal form) that I've
>been asked over the past 2 weeks.
>
>So, I've taken pretty much a 180 degree turn in my opinion given the
>feedback I'm getting.
>
>I think Sequoia and Si's work mark the beginning of a new epoch in
>OFBiz' development and will be pivotal going forward. Consequently, I'm
>keen to help, but I'm not sure the name or the degree of separation is
>such a great idea. Both because it has nothing to do with OFBiz and
>because of the whole TradeMark issue.
>
>If also seems a little bizarre that weekly releases are coming from
>www.opensourcestrategies.com and sequoia from www.sequoiaerp.org. This
>seems to give a rather warped perspective and doesn't really fairly give
>credit to those doing the work. I realise that these have to be hosted
>somewhere, could we perhaps have a list of mirrors on ofbiz.org. So that
>ofbiz.org is the first port of call for all things OFBiz.
>
>Maybe those interested in providing mirror space could let themselves be
>known, We'd be happy to offer space ourselves.
>
>The biggest danger I can see is that a company decides it's a great
>marketing trick to start wrestling attention from OFBiz (or Sequoia) to
>raise their profile. I feel Sequoia is inadvertently providing this
>precedent at present.
>
>Sorry to reopen this old debate, but I feel I have to comment given that
>recent experience has made me so drastically change my point of view.
>
>Kind Regards

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

Andrew Sykes
Si,

Thanks for this.

I must confess I knew those answers already, the point was more to do
with the fact that I'm being asked the questions.

I think Michael made some interesting points in his reply to this.

What did you think?

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Remove OFBiz 3.0.0 and 2.* series downloads?

I have removed the old downloads from the SourceForge.net site for
OFBiz. OFBiz is still listed there as it has always been. In place of
typical downloads there is now a small PDF document entitled Getting
and Using OFBiz. This document talks about the OFBiz community,
getting from SVN, and the idea behind Sequoia.

On the Sequoia site there is one clarification that I would
appreciate. It does mention OFBiz clearly and that is great, but the
confusion I get from reading the home page is that it appears to be
an extension of OFBiz, ie a project dedicated to adding features to
OFBiz and operating as a separate project. If that's the case I think
it's a problem, but of course I have no say in it. Either way it
should be clarified. In other words, adding text that makes it clear
that the purpose of Sequoia ERP is to maintain releases including
back patches of bug fixes and release points and such that can be
easily referenced, but that is not meant to have functionality in
addition to OFBiz. That seams to be a remaining confusion.

For Neogia, that really is a separate project from OFBiz and is
basically a bunch of extensions licensed under the GPL. Si Chen is
doing a good job of marketing Sequoia and making it easier for end-
users who don't need what direct SVN access has to offer to use some
version of OFBiz. Neogia is a different story and while based on many
things in OFBiz they have chosen to compete with the project in
building out new areas instead of participating in OFBiz (evidently
this is required for their funding model).

The Open Travel System and Open eGovernment sites (efforts maintained
by Hans Bakker) are different as well. These are open add-ons to
OFBiz (in the specialized directory of the ofbiz SVN repository) and
sub-communities focused on a particular industry, in this case travel
and government.

It would be nice if other sites would clarify their position more
relative to OFBiz so that people can more easily find out what they
are and decide what they need/want, but it really isn't technically a
part of OFBiz so all we can do is offer feedback to them. Fortunately
some, like Si and Hans, are very open and are doing a great job and
have been great to work with. There is certainly a need for efforts
like this as the OFBiz world is extremely large and diverse and to
organize and build up any part of it requires quite a bit of effort,
which is where these things come in. The way that things are going
with Sequoia and OpenTravelSystem are great and really of value to
the project. Other projects like Neogia are still of value to the
OFBiz community because they are doing a lot of stuff and using
certain parts of OFBiz, and contribute little things fairly often in
those areas. Unfortunately in many other areas they have decided not
to work with others in the project and to go their own way, and they
are certainly within their rights and such to do so, and hopefully it
will work out well for them. On the other hand, hopefully the areas
in OFBiz that are catching up to and going beyond what they have
added will compete well and the result of user confusion will favor
OFBiz, putting more resources into the core project instead of
elsewhere...

-David

On Nov 9, 2005, at 4:54 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>> ofbiz there could be a news item for where to get the latest
>>> release.
>>>
>>> I also updated the sequoiaerp.org home page to put in the link to
>>> ofbiz.org.  I've tried to make the relationship as clear as possible
> and
>>> also point developers to ofbiz.org.  Can you suggest any other place
> for
>>> me to put this kind of information?  I'm happy to add it.
>>>
>>> Last of all--this is a personal observation--I would really
>>> appreciate
>
>>> it if people post their questions to the mailing lists or forums or
>>> somewhere public, so we can all help out and also all see these
> things.
>>> I think this is also standard for many open source projects.  I
>>> don't
>>> know why people think they can get priority support by writing

I just changed the sequoiaerp.org site.  It should be clear now (to me
at least?)

Si