[OFBiz] Users - Screen Widget transaction timeout also QuickBooks SOAP API

[OFBiz] Users - Screen Widget transaction timeout also QuickBooks SOAP API

Brian Johnson-4
I put together a page that lets my users get some information out of
QuickBooks. This was as much to get a handle on getting data from
QuickBooks with OFBiz as it was getting the users the data they wanted.

I ended-up getting a NullPointerException rendering the screen.  I
finally was able to trace it back to the fact that the transaction was
timing out since my data processing takes more then 60 seconds in this
case (yeah it sucks, but it'll have to do for now). You still don't get
the error page until after the data processing is done anyway, and it
doesn't say anything about a timeout.

So I was able to fix it by putting a large timeout value in
ofbiz/framework/widget/src/org/ofbiz/widget/screen/ModelScreen.java:99
i just changed it to TransactionUtil.begin(1000).  Now i want to see if
there's a better way to handle this.

Also, anyone who's interested in accessing QuickBooks over SOAP from
OFBiz I can share what I've learned.  I did need to make some changes to
SOAPClientEngine.java, including hard coding some values that should be
settings.  Again, I'm not sure the best way to handle this, I couldn't
figure out how to get all the different values I needed there from the
services.xml.
Brian

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Screen Widget transaction timeout also QuickBooks SOAP API

Brett
Brian,

If the service that is running the export is only reading data you might want to turn transaction support off for that service.  We do that with a lot of our export services because the transaction times can very so much for long queries and since you're only reading data the transaction isn't really necessary.

Brett

Brett Palmer wrote:
> Brian,
>
> If the service that is running the export is only reading data you might
> want to turn transaction support off for that service.  We do that with
> a lot of our export services because the transaction times can very so
> much for long queries and since you're only reading data the transaction
> isn't really necessary.

I did turn the transaction support off on the services.  The transaction
that the screen widget code starts is what's timing out, I don't see
where to disable that one, or even change the timeout.
--
Brian

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Screen Widget transaction timeout also QuickBooks SOAP API

Jacopo Cappellato
Brian,

this is a good point: I had a similar problem (i.e. an error caused by
the screen widget timeout) while running mass updates from the
Webtools-->SQL Processor.
I've created a Jira issue with an attached patch that will allow to set
a transaction timeout for a screen:
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-514

David, will you consider to review/commit it?

Jacopo