[OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation

[OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation

Vinicius Nadai
David,

The online documents in the site Undersun is incomplete. For example: Create Employer. And others.

I very need to know all about the Security.

My problem: I am giving the permisson CATALOG_ADM to a one User and when he to do the Login is displayed a message: This user not permission to the application.

I would like to know too all about Multi Company in The OFBIZ and I buied the document for this.

Re: [OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation >>>waiting

David E. Jones

Vinicius,

Please don't take this personally, but I don't respond well to
pressure and manipulation.

The documentation site is what it is and while we try to put
information in there that is as useful as possible to the widest
audience possible, with the scope of OFBiz and all of the possible
ways to use the system it is hard to predict what people might want
to do with it.

So, I appreciate your feedback and hopefully with more information
about your needs we can help you out. In that light the OFBiz Users
mailing list (which has nothing to do with Undersun or the Undersun
Online Documentation) happens to be a great place to discuss this.

In other words, I'm not sure if documentation will meet your needs.
It sounds like what you need is analysis, and $4.95 worth of
discounted documentation (even if purchased multiple times by
different people in the same company) probably won't meet your needs.

You mention you'd like to know about Multi Company in OFBiz, what
exactly do you mean by that?

On the question about the permission, this might have just been a
typo in the email but the permission should be "CATALOG_ADMIN" and
not "CATALOG_ADM".

-David

On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Vinicius Nadai wrote:

> David, I am waiting your anwser
>
> Vinicius Nadai wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> The online documents in the site Undersun is incomplete. For
>> example: Create Employer. And others.
>>
>> I very need to know all about the Security.
>>
>> My problem: I am giving the permisson CATALOG_ADM to a one User
>> and when he to do the Login is displayed a message: This user not
>> permission to the application.
>>
>> I would like to know too all about Multi Company in The OFBIZ and
>> I buied the document for this.
>>

>> Thanks

Re: [OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation >>>waiting

Vinicius Nadai
Hi David,

Thanks for answer,

My problem is to run OFBIZ to Varios Companies and each Companies to haver various employees.
I dont found this in any place . So, I buied your online documentation, but don't found too.

Can you help me??

Vinicius

Vinicius Nadai wrote:
David,

The online documents in the site Undersun is incomplete. For  example: Create Employer. And others.

I very need to know all about the Security.

My problem: I am giving the permisson CATALOG_ADM to a one User  and when he to do the Login is displayed a message: This user not  permission to the application.

I would like to know too all about Multi Company in The OFBIZ and  I buied the document for this.

Re: [OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation >>>waiting

Florin T.PATRASCU (work)
Hi there Vincius,

Please don't take it personally and please to not consider this message a lack of respect.

My team approached OFBIZ after carefully observing the other options out there and we spent a great deal of time analyzing first the books (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?path=ASIN/0471380237&link_code=as2&camp=1789&tag=openforbusine-20&creative=9325) describing the domain model and far more than that. OFBiz is built on the model described by these books adapting it to the real world of Enterprise requirements.

Then, the next step was to seriously read the source code and understand how the things are done. The only *real* way in OpenSource. We didn't even considered the docs provided commercially. Those were bought *after* we were sure we understand what can be done with OFBiz .. code and implementation wise.

I see here you're going to take a big responsibility: "...run OFBIZ to Various Companies"

Vincius, if those companies will be your future clients, then the responsibility is huge and please be sure that you understand very good how ofbiz works; philosophy, existing features, customization and .. deployment. Omitted from this very short list of TODOs is: legacy systems integration and legacy data migration! Treat this aspect superficially and is enough to drag yourself into a technical conflict between old, legacy systems/datasets and OFBiz, if you are not prepared. Trust me, you can install OFBiz thousands of times but fail at the end if you're not prepared to import legacy data into the new system. How can you then be successful if you don't know the internal of OFBiz framework? This is Open Source, Vincius, and as an Open source member  myself, I am giving you a friendly advice: read first the books (links posted above) and then jump to the sources and stay there for 1-2 months! For God crying loud man, this is an ERP framework, not a tiny library. Test various hardware scenarios and stress test your mock deployments with data that simulates the approximative load of your customers. Be prepared for unexpected when you'll make plans to migrate data from the old systems to the OFBIZ domain model.

Reading all your postings on this mail list, and seeing the kind of troubles you have, I do believe that if you really need to implement something commercially and fast ... then you're maybe looking for professional support. This can be expensive .. but safe! I am sure that on this list there are professional and experienced users able to help you with this; don't worry, I am not one of them :) This is under no circumstances an advertising nor representing a niggardly personal interest, is a pure friendly advice. Take it or ignore it.

Everybody on this list will kindly help you if ... you can understand the kind of explanations you receive. A good advice is as good as its usage;)

Vincius, as yourself, I am an OFBIZ user and I am representing here the overall experience accumulated by my team and my own thoughts only. I am not affiliated with OFBIZ and I am not representing here the oppinions of my employer. All these words, I repeat, represent a friendly advice only. I hope you'll interpret it wisely.

Good luck Vincius and thank you LIST :) for supporting my 2 Canadian ;) cents opinion on this topic.

Sincerely,
:)florin

Vinicius Nadai wrote:
David,

The online documents in the site Undersun is incomplete. For  example: Create Employer. And others.

I very need to know all about the Security.

My problem: I am giving the permisson CATALOG_ADM to a one User  and when he to do the Login is displayed a message: This user not  permission to the application.

I would like to know too all about Multi Company in The OFBIZ and  I buied the document for this.

Re: [OFBiz] Users - TO DAVID --- Online Documentation >>>waiting

Vinicius,

Florin's reply to this message is a good one and I second his advice.

In general OFBiz is designed to run a single company, but it does
support multiple organizations within that company without
limitation. I personally don't like the single application and single
database shared by dozens or hundreds of companies approach, and
OFBiz isn't designed for that. I have heard from people who have done
significant customization of OFBiz to try to offer this sort of
shared application, but it is a REALLY hard sell and even huge
companies like SalesForce.com and NetLedger (now owned by Oracle)
have had to spend a LOT of money to _try_ to overcome the limitations
of shared applications and convince companies that it will work okay
for them.

So, I highly recommend running separate instances for different
companies. This has been discussed a LOT on the mailing lists because
a lot of people see this as a potential way to make a buck. It is
possible, but just be careful, it is a huge nightmare to do it that
way even with systems that are designed for it, and OFBiz is not, it
is designed for customization in configuration files and not in the
database.

Our intention is to compete with ASPs that offer shared applications
by offering dedication application instances and independent
databases (though it is safe with most modern databases to run a
single db server instance with multiple separate databases), and then
they can have direct access (usually read-only) to their database for
their own custom reports and such, and there isn't the same risk of
someone accidently getting into their database because of an
application bug... In general it also makes the software more
flexible and simpler at the same time, making it easier to and
cheaper to customize, making possible things that small companies
could not otherwise do.

Okay, my thoughts on the topic again... I guess I should stop writing
about this because a lot of this is probably a repeat of what has
been said before...

-David