[OFBiz] Users - an OFBiz release and upgrading

[OFBiz] Users - an OFBiz release and upgrading

Si Chen-2
Hi everyone.

I know we've had a lot of discussion on this list and at the conference
for releases and upgrades for OFBiz.  After speaking with some of the
other developers, we've decided to try to help with this.

We have created a package of OFBiz which we will be upgrading to at
Gracious Style, and we have decided to make this package available to
the rest of the community as a common release point/upgrade point.  Our
hope is that as a group, we can collaborate on creating a common, stable
version of OFBiz together.

So our plan is to take snapshots of OFBiz and then create versions based
on these snapshots.  Then, as different users report problems and submit
patches, or as we see important fixes in the main OFBiz trunk, we'll
incorporate them back into the subversion for those releases.  Thus,
each version will progress over time with more stability, and there will
periodically be new releases as well.

For example, the first release right now is version 0.8 and release
0.8.0.  As it undergoes QA and improves, it will become release 0.8.1,
0.8.2, etc.  In about three to four months time, we plan on putting
together the next version, 0.9, and releases 0.9.0 and 0.9.1, etc.

We've set up a subversion server and a sourceforge project to help with
the effort.  You can go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/sequoiaerp
and download the initial file of the 0.8.0 release.  It will contain the
.svn links to our subversion server here, with which you can get updates
as we commit them.

We'll be setting up a site for this effort as well to create
screenshots, tutorials, documentation, etc. over time.  In the meantime,
please sign up for the mailing list so we can keep you updated on this:
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=145855

Finally, before you ask--
1.  This is not a fork of the OFBiz project.  We will continue to make
the bulk of our new feature contributions into the main OFBiz project
and would encourage all of you to do the same as well.
2.  It is open source under the same license as OFBiz

Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - an OFBiz release and upgrading

Ean Schuessler
On Tuesday 23 August 2005 08:07 pm, Si Chen wrote:
> So our plan is to take snapshots of OFBiz and then create versions based
> on these snapshots.  Then, as different users report problems and submit
> patches, or as we see important fixes in the main OFBiz trunk, we'll
> incorporate them back into the subversion for those releases.  Thus,
> each version will progress over time with more stability, and there will
> periodically be new releases as well.

We have a similar process currently in place here at Brainfood. We use a tool
called SVK which can synchronize SVN repositories in a manner similar to the
way CVSUp can sync CVS repositories.

This process is a by-product of our internal rapid development needs. We are
constantly building sites that have unusual demands outside of the OFBiz
framework. We required a methodology for generating these forks while still
keeping them in sync with the upstream repository. Beyond OFBiz we perform
this process with a number of upstreams including much of the Apache Commons
infrastructure (our internal wiki mechanism is based on a modified Commons
VFS).

We have considered creating an SVN repository that makes our custom OFBiz
hybrid available to a larger audience and the SVK approach we use would make
accepting patches (and aggregating them to generate upstream patches) quite
straightforward. However, we believe it may actually be better to detail our
internal process so that everyone can keep their own private change-streams
outside the master repository. This would urge the community to consider
peer-to-peer synchronizing schemes where the master repository is simply
another (very important) peer.

We hope to get a document detailed on our SVK usage soon. Things are super
slammed for us but hopefully we can get some documentation together over the
next couple of weeks.

--
Ean Schuessler, CTO
[hidden email]

Re: [OFBiz] Users - Re: [OFBiz] Dev - an OFBiz release and upgrading

Andrew Sykes
Ean,

This sounds like it would be a really useful contribution.

We encounter much of what you describe in our bespoke work and would be
really grateful to anyone who could shed more light on the subject and
argue for a specific approach.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

Kind Regards
--
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
Sykes Development Ltd