[OFBiz] Users - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

[OFBiz] Users - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

Si Chen-2
Hi everybody -

Please let us know what you think of these enhancements to the Returns
data model:
http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-568

Thanks,

Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Si

That looks really good...

Are there ways of keeping a complete inventory (and location?) of the
returned items?

Will the new changes integrate the process of returning goods right back
into inventory for products that are still new?

Thanks

Daniel

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:27 -0800, Si Chen wrote:

> Hi everybody -
>
> Please let us know what you think of these enhancements to the Returns
> data model:
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-568
>
> Thanks,
>
> Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

Si Chen-2
That's good a point, Daniel.

Right now when an item is returned, the comments field of InventoryItem
has something like "Returned from RA #....", but there is no data model
relationship from return item to inventory item.  In other words, no
easy way for you to know how many of the return items have actually been
returned or go to them.

But this is also kind of tricky because serialized inventory would mean
that there is not a 1:1 correspondence between return item and inventory
item.  So this would probably mean another entity altogether to track
which multiple InventoryItems may be related to a ReturnItem.

Anybody else on this one?

Si

Daniel Kunkel wrote:

>Hi Si
>
>That looks really good...
>
>Are there ways of keeping a complete inventory (and location?) of the
>returned items?
>
>Will the new changes integrate the process of returning goods right back
>into inventory for products that are still new?
>
>Thanks
>
>Daniel
>

>On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:27 -0800, Si Chen wrote:
>

>>Hi everybody -
>>
>>Please let us know what you think of these enhancements to the Returns
>>data model:
>>http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-568
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Si, and anyone else with an opinion on the matter...

Would returns inventory tracking have to use serialized inventory
tracking?

Would it be enough to have companies that want to track inventory setup
a "virtual" facility for each location a particular item could be...

One company could setup a general "returned" facility that would track
the number of returned units in any of a dozen places, while another
might setup separate facilities for Tom, Joe and Final Testing, and
track the appropriate stock moves between each...

The tricky part would seem to involve handling the inventory splitting
that would occur when multiple InventoryItems were returned. For
example, if 4 units were returned together and 1 was still brand new, 1
needed to go thru final test, and Tom getting the last 2.

Even as I ask this question, I realize that RFID is coming in very fast,
and that is going to make serialized inventory tracking more common.

Thanks

On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 17:53 -0800, Si Chen wrote:

> That's good a point, Daniel.
>
> Right now when an item is returned, the comments field of InventoryItem
> has something like "Returned from RA #....", but there is no data model
> relationship from return item to inventory item.  In other words, no
> easy way for you to know how many of the return items have actually been
> returned or go to them.
>
> But this is also kind of tricky because serialized inventory would mean
> that there is not a 1:1 correspondence between return item and inventory
> item.  So this would probably mean another entity altogether to track
> which multiple InventoryItems may be related to a ReturnItem.
>
> Anybody else on this one?
>
> Si
>
> Daniel Kunkel wrote:
>
> >Hi Si
> >
> >That looks really good...
> >
> >Are there ways of keeping a complete inventory (and location?) of the
> >returned items?
> >
> >Will the new changes integrate the process of returning goods right back
> >into inventory for products that are still new?
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Daniel
> >

> >On Wed, 2005-11-02 at 12:27 -0800, Si Chen wrote:
> >

> >>Hi everybody -
> >>
> >>Please let us know what you think of these enhancements to the Returns
> >>data model:
> >>http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-568
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>
> >>Si

Re: [OFBiz] Dev - please comment - enhancements to the Return data model

Si Chen-2
No, returns can be tracked as serialized or non-serialized inventory.
Most people don't seem to need serialized inventory.

Si