OFBiz Version Info

Devanshu Vyas-2
Hello Devs,

Recently I came to know and verified that there is no specific location in
our OFBiz framework(not even in README.md) where we specify what version
code a Dev has downloaded and currently using.

If there is such entry or location in our framework and I missed it, please
let me know. And if not, let's discuss what's the best way to inform our
Devs/users about our code version.

PS: I suggest the README.md :)

Thanks & Regards,
Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

James Yong-2
Hi Devanshu,

Have you looked at the web page’s footer?

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-11-25 13:46, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Devs,
>
> Recently I came to know and verified that there is no specific location in
> our OFBiz framework(not even in README.md) where we specify what version
> code a Dev has downloaded and currently using.
>
> If there is such entry or location in our framework and I missed it, please
> let me know. And if not, let's discuss what's the best way to inform our
> Devs/users about our code version.
>
> PS: I suggest the README.md :)
>
> Thanks & Regards,
> Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Hi Devanshu, James,

To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run "gradlew svnInfo" before

Jacques

Le 25/11/2017 à 07:14, James Yong a écrit :

> Hi Devanshu,
>
> Have you looked at the web page’s footer?
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>
> On 2017-11-25 13:46, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello Devs,
>>
>> Recently I came to know and verified that there is no specific location in
>> our OFBiz framework(not even in README.md) where we specify what version
>> code a Dev has downloaded and currently using.
>>
>> If there is such entry or location in our framework and I missed it, please
>> let me know. And if not, let's discuss what's the best way to inform our
>> Devs/users about our code version.
>>
>> PS: I suggest the README.md :)
>>
>> Thanks & Regards,
>> Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Deepak Dixit-3
I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Devanshu, James,
>
> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run "gradlew
> svnInfo" before
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 25/11/2017 à 07:14, James Yong a écrit :
>
>> Hi Devanshu,
>>
>> Have you looked at the web page’s footer?
>>
>> Regards,
>> James Yong
>>
>> On 2017-11-25 13:46, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Devs,
>>>
>>> Recently I came to know and verified that there is no specific location
>>> in
>>> our OFBiz framework(not even in README.md) where we specify what version
>>> code a Dev has downloaded and currently using.
>>>
>>> If there is such entry or location in our framework and I missed it,
>>> please
>>> let me know. And if not, let's discuss what's the best way to inform our
>>> Devs/users about our code version.
>>>
>>> PS: I suggest the README.md :)
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>> Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

taher
I don't think it's necessary to contain the version information, but I
don't mind it if people find it helpful. With that being said, I
suggest to avoid putting this information in README.md and also to
avoid doing this manually. It becomes tedious and human error prone.

My suggestion instead (if enough people want this) is to create a task
to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
control system.

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
> www.hotwax.co
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Devanshu, James,
>>
>> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run "gradlew
>> svnInfo" before
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> Le 25/11/2017 à 07:14, James Yong a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi Devanshu,
>>>
>>> Have you looked at the web page’s footer?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> James Yong

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Swapnil Mane
+1 for having the version info.

Taher's proposal looks reasonable to me.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to contain the version information, but I
> don't mind it if people find it helpful. With that being said, I
> suggest to avoid putting this information in README.md and also to
> avoid doing this manually. It becomes tedious and human error prone.
>
> My suggestion instead (if enough people want this) is to create a task
> to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
> would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
> revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
> control system.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> > www.hotwax.co
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devanshu, James,
> >>
> >> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run
> "gradlew
> >> svnInfo" before
> >>
> >> Jacques

> location
> version

> our

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Pierre Smits
For whom is this intended?

For the contributors of this project? Code contributors check out (and work with) the code from the official repo's (ASF SVN/Github git) and work with only with revisions in their IDE of choice. And our other contributors (document maintainers) relate more to Releases.
For adopters? They don't care about the OFBiz version, when they augment code internally and have their own versioning definition/protocol.
OFBiz Service Providers? They apply anything their customers agree with regarding Release Management and versioning. And each customer can have a different Naming Convention and Protocol.

Best regards,

Pierre

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 at 10:54 Swapnil Mane <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for having the version info.

Taher's proposal looks reasonable to me.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to contain the version information, but I
> don't mind it if people find it helpful. With that being said, I
> suggest to avoid putting this information in README.md and also to
> avoid doing this manually. It becomes tedious and human error prone.
>
> My suggestion instead (if enough people want this) is to create a task
> to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
> would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
> revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
> control system.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> > www.hotwax.co
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devanshu, James,
> >>
> >> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run
> "gradlew
> >> svnInfo" before
> >>
> >> Jacques

> location
> version

> our

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Arun Patidar-2
Users should have the ability to know the current version of any application that he is using.

+1 to Devanshu's proposal with the solution design proposed by Taher.

--
Thanks & Regards
---

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
For whom is this intended?

For the contributors of this project? Code contributors check out (and work with) the code from the official repo's (ASF SVN/Github git) and work with only with revisions in their IDE of choice. And our other contributors (document maintainers) relate more to Releases.
For adopters? They don't care about the OFBiz version, when they augment code internally and have their own versioning definition/protocol.
OFBiz Service Providers? They apply anything their customers agree with regarding Release Management and versioning. And each customer can have a different Naming Convention and Protocol.

Best regards,

Pierre

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 at 10:54 Swapnil Mane <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for having the version info.

Taher's proposal looks reasonable to me.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to contain the version information, but I
> don't mind it if people find it helpful. With that being said, I
> suggest to avoid putting this information in README.md and also to
> avoid doing this manually. It becomes tedious and human error prone.
>
> My suggestion instead (if enough people want this) is to create a task
> to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
> would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
> revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
> control system.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> > www.hotwax.co
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devanshu, James,
> >>
> >> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run
> "gradlew
> >> svnInfo" before
> >>
> >> Jacques

> location
> version

> our

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Devanshu Vyas-2
Thank you all for your thoughts on this.

I really like the idea shared by Taher to create a version file using target and after second thought I agree that it can be a tiresome task to update version info manually with each release.
But before we conclude this discussion, I would like to share another thought with you. I think we can add OFBiz version info in the licensing information we add to our files.
I know it will be a manual task, but can be easily done with a simple Find & Replace.

I am happy to work on the whichever implementation we decide here(hoping I am not stepping on anyone's toes).

And my reason to raise the concern was that it is very difficult to identify which version of code a user is using(a real-time scenario where I was exposed to OFBiz code and I couldn't perform anything on it. So just by looking at it, I was unable to determine what version it was)

Waiting for your replies!!

Thanks & Regards,
Devanshu Vyas.

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:51 AM, Arun Patidar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Users should have the ability to know the current version of any application that he is using.

+1 to Devanshu's proposal with the solution design proposed by Taher.

--
Thanks & Regards
---
Arun Patidar
Manager, Enterprise Software Development
HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:06 AM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
For whom is this intended?

For the contributors of this project? Code contributors check out (and work with) the code from the official repo's (ASF SVN/Github git) and work with only with revisions in their IDE of choice. And our other contributors (document maintainers) relate more to Releases.
For adopters? They don't care about the OFBiz version, when they augment code internally and have their own versioning definition/protocol.
OFBiz Service Providers? They apply anything their customers agree with regarding Release Management and versioning. And each customer can have a different Naming Convention and Protocol.

Best regards,

Pierre

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017 at 10:54 Swapnil Mane <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1 for having the version info.

Taher's proposal looks reasonable to me.

- Best Regards,
Swapnil M Mane

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:37 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> I don't think it's necessary to contain the version information, but I
> don't mind it if people find it helpful. With that being said, I
> suggest to avoid putting this information in README.md and also to
> avoid doing this manually. It becomes tedious and human error prone.
>
> My suggestion instead (if enough people want this) is to create a task
> to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
> would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
> revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
> control system.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> > www.hotwax.co
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devanshu, James,
> >>
> >> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run
> "gradlew
> >> svnInfo" before
> >>
> >> Jacques

> location
> version

> our

Re: OFBiz Version Info

taher
Hi Devashnu,

Question: are you having a difficulty identifying OFBiz version with or without a version control system? In other words, are you downloading from subversion / git or are you downloading an archived release?

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> to publish a version file. For example: "./gradlew publishVersion"
> would create a VERSION file that contains ofbiz version and svn
> revision for example and the file should be ignored by the version
> control system.
>
> On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 11:37 AM, Deepak Dixit
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I think here Devanshu talking about release that we do in zip.
> > http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.lua/ofbiz/apache-ofbiz-16.11.03.zip
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> > www.hotwax.co
> >
> > On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 1:59 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Devanshu, James,
> >>
> >> To see something locally on the ERP pages footer you need to run

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Pierre Smits
Hi Devanshu Vyas,

Please see inline.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
>
> I really like the idea shared by Taher to create a version file using
> target and after second thought I agree that it can be a tiresome task to
> update version info manually with each release.
> But before we conclude this discussion, I would like to share another
> thought with you. I think we can add OFBiz version info in the licensing
> information we add to our files.
> I know it will be a manual task, but can be easily done with a simple Find
> & Replace.
>
> I am happy to work on the whichever implementation we decide here(hoping I
> am not stepping on anyone's toes).

Don't worry. I bet you aren't. ;)

> And my reason to raise the concern was that it is very difficult to
> identify which version of code a user is using(a real-time scenario where I
> was exposed to OFBiz code and I couldn't perform anything on it. So just by
> looking at it, I was unable to determine what version it was)

So you experienced a user being exposed to a OOTB OFBiz deployment,
deployed by your employer HotWax? Or was the user exposed to a deployment
that was also modified? In either case this is an issue related to the
Release Management process applied. And not necessarily an OFBIZ problem.

> Waiting for your replies!!
>

> Thanks & Regards,
> Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Sharan Foga
Hi

Having the version info available somehow could be useful. Whenever a user reports a problem on our user lists, one of the first questions we ask them is "What version are you using?"

Perhaps asking the question about version information, on the user list might help.

Thanks
Sharan

On 2017-11-27 08:49, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Devanshu Vyas,
>
> Please see inline.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
> 1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project
>
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
> >
> > I really like the idea shared by Taher to create a version file using
> > target and after second thought I agree that it can be a tiresome task to
> > update version info manually with each release.
> > But before we conclude this discussion, I would like to share another
> > thought with you. I think we can add OFBiz version info in the licensing
> > information we add to our files.
> > I know it will be a manual task, but can be easily done with a simple Find
> > & Replace.
> >
> > I am happy to work on the whichever implementation we decide here(hoping I
> > am not stepping on anyone's toes).
> >

> Don't worry. I bet you aren't. ;)
>

> > And my reason to raise the concern was that it is very difficult to
> > identify which version of code a user is using(a real-time scenario where I
> > was exposed to OFBiz code and I couldn't perform anything on it. So just by
> > looking at it, I was unable to determine what version it was)
> >

> So you experienced a user being exposed to a OOTB OFBiz deployment,
> deployed by your employer HotWax? Or was the user exposed to a deployment
> that was also modified? In either case this is an issue related to the
> Release Management process applied. And not necessarily an OFBIZ problem.
>

> > Waiting for your replies!!
> >

> > Thanks & Regards,
> > Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Nicolas Malin-2
Agree and an other advantage is when you use an ofbiz fork you can have
the actual ofbiz version that the fork come from.

We have this example with debian and ubuntu with the file
/etc/debian_version

Nicolas

Le 27/11/2017 à 13:37, Sharan Foga a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Having the version info available somehow could be useful. Whenever a user reports a problem on our user lists, one of the first questions we ask them is "What version are you using?"
>
> Perhaps asking the question about version information, on the user list might help.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 2017-11-27 08:49, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Devanshu Vyas,
>>
>> Please see inline.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pierre Smits
>>
>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>
>> OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>> 1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
>>>
>>> I really like the idea shared by Taher to create a version file using
>>> target and after second thought I agree that it can be a tiresome task to
>>> update version info manually with each release.
>>> But before we conclude this discussion, I would like to share another
>>> thought with you. I think we can add OFBiz version info in the licensing
>>> information we add to our files.
>>> I know it will be a manual task, but can be easily done with a simple Find
>>> & Replace.
>>>
>>> I am happy to work on the whichever implementation we decide here(hoping I
>>> am not stepping on anyone's toes).
>>>
>> Don't worry. I bet you aren't. ;)
>>

>>> And my reason to raise the concern was that it is very difficult to
>>> identify which version of code a user is using(a real-time scenario where I
>>> was exposed to OFBiz code and I couldn't perform anything on it. So just by
>>> looking at it, I was unable to determine what version it was)
>>>

>> So you experienced a user being exposed to a OOTB OFBiz deployment,
>> deployed by your employer HotWax? Or was the user exposed to a deployment
>> that was also modified? In either case this is an issue related to the
>> Release Management process applied. And not necessarily an OFBIZ problem.
>>

>>> Waiting for your replies!!
>>>

>>> Thanks & Regards,
>>> Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Akash Jain
+1, version information should available somewhere, it will be helpful.

Thanks and Regards
--
Akash Jain

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Having the version info available somehow could be useful. Whenever a user
> reports a problem on our user lists, one of the first questions we ask them
> is "What version are you using?"
>
> Perhaps asking the question about version information, on the user list
> might help.
>
> Thanks
> Sharan
>
> On 2017-11-27 08:49, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Devanshu Vyas,
> >
> > Please see inline.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Pierre Smits
> >
> > ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> > OFBiz based solutions & services
> >
> > OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
> > http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
> > 1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Thank you all for your thoughts on this.
> > >
> > > I really like the idea shared by Taher to create a version file using
> > > target and after second thought I agree that it can be a tiresome task
> > > update version info manually with each release.
> > > But before we conclude this discussion, I would like to share another
> > > thought with you. I think we can add OFBiz version info in the
> licensing
> > > information we add to our files.
> > > I know it will be a manual task, but can be easily done with a simple
> Find
> > > & Replace.
> > >
> > > I am happy to work on the whichever implementation we decide
> here(hoping I
> > > am not stepping on anyone's toes).
> > >

> > Don't worry. I bet you aren't. ;)
> >

> > > And my reason to raise the concern was that it is very difficult to
> > > identify which version of code a user is using(a real-time scenario
> where I
> > > was exposed to OFBiz code and I couldn't perform anything on it. So
> just by
> > > looking at it, I was unable to determine what version it was)
> > >

> > So you experienced a user being exposed to a OOTB OFBiz deployment,
> > deployed by your employer HotWax? Or was the user exposed to a deployment
> > that was also modified? In either case this is an issue related to the
> > Release Management process applied. And not necessarily an OFBIZ problem.
> >

> > > Waiting for your replies!!
> > >

> > > Thanks & Regards,
> > > Devanshu Vyas.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

James Yong-2
Hi all,

How about hardcoding the released version in start.properties?
E.g.
ofbiz.version=v16.11.03

During startup, we can print out the version as part of the startup message like:
   ____  __________  _
  / __ \/ ____/ __ )(_)___
 / / / / /_  / __  / /_  /
/ /_/ / __/ / /_/ / / / /_
\____/_/   /_____/_/ /___/  v16.11.03 is started and ready.

Just update the released version in the properties before a release.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-11-27 22:08, Akash Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1, version information should available somewhere, it will be helpful.
>
> Thanks and Regards
> --
> Akash Jain
>
> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Having the version info available somehow could be useful. Whenever a user
> > reports a problem on our user lists, one of the first questions we ask them
> > is "What version are you using?"
> >
> > Perhaps asking the question about version information, on the user list
> > might help.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Sharan
> >
> > On 2017-11-27 08:49, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Devanshu Vyas,
> > >
> > > Please see inline.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > >
> > > Pierre Smits
> > >
> > > ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> > > OFBiz based solutions & services
> > >
> > > OEM - The OFBiz Extensions Marketplace1
> > > http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
> > > 1 not affiliated to (and not endorsed by) the OFBiz project
> > >
> > > On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 7:33 AM, Devanshu Vyas <
> > [hidden email]>

> > licensing
> > Find

> > here(hoping I
> > > >

> > > Don't worry. I bet you aren't. ;)

> > where I
> > just by
> > > >

> > > So you experienced a user being exposed to a OOTB OFBiz deployment,
> > > deployed by your employer HotWax? Or was the user exposed to a deployment
> > > that was also modified? In either case this is an issue related to the
> > > Release Management process applied. And not necessarily an OFBIZ problem.

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Hi James,

That's good when you start but could be hard to find after many days running in production for instance

Jacques

Le 27/11/2017 à 15:43, James Yong a écrit :

> Hi all,
>
> How about hardcoding the released version in start.properties?
> E.g.
> ofbiz.version=v16.11.03
>
> During startup, we can print out the version as part of the startup message like:
>     ____  __________  _
>    / __ \/ ____/ __ )(_)___
>   / / / / /_  / __  / /_  /
> / /_/ / __/ / /_/ / / / /_
> \____/_/   /_____/_/ /___/  v16.11.03 is started and ready.
>
> Just update the released version in the properties before a release.
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>

> On 2017-11-27 22:08, Akash Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> +1, version information should available somewhere, it will be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks and Regards
>> --
>> Akash Jain
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Sharan Foga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Having the version info available somehow could be useful. Whenever a user
>>> reports a problem on our user lists, one of the first questions we ask them
>>> is "What version are you using?"
>>>
>>> Perhaps asking the question about version information, on the user list
>>> might help.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

>>> [hidden email]>

>>> licensing
>>> Find

>>> here(hoping I

>>> where I
>>> just by

Re: OFBiz Version Info

Nicolas Malin-2
:) both can be accessible

> Hi James,
>
> That's good when you start but could be hard to find after many days
> running in production for instance
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 27/11/2017 à 15:43, James Yong a écrit :
>> Hi all,
>>
>> How about hardcoding the released version in start.properties?
>> E.g.
>> ofbiz.version=v16.11.03
>>
>> During startup, we can print out the version as part of the startup
>> message like:
>>     ____  __________  _
>>    / __ \/ ____/ __ )(_)___
>>   / / / / /_  / __  / /_  /
>> / /_/ / __/ / /_/ / / / /_
>> \____/_/   /_____/_/ /___/  v16.11.03 is started and ready.
>>
>> Just update the released version in the properties before a release.
>>
>> Regards,
>> James Yong
>>

>> On 2017-11-27 22:08, Akash Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> +1, version information should available somewhere, it will be helpful.
>>>
>>> Thanks and Regards
>>> --
>>> Akash Jain

Re: OFBiz Version Info

James Yong-2
Hi Jacques,

The developer can refer to the proposed ofbiz.version property if needed.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-11-28 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> That's good when you start but could be hard to find after many days running in production for instance
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 27/11/2017 à 15:43, James Yong a écrit :
> > Hi all,
> >
> > How about hardcoding the released version in start.properties?
> > E.g.
> > ofbiz.version=v16.11.03
> >
> > During startup, we can print out the version as part of the startup message like:
> >     ____  __________  _
> >    / __ \/ ____/ __ )(_)___
> >   / / / / /_  / __  / /_  /
> > / /_/ / __/ / /_/ / / / /_
> > \____/_/   /_____/_/ /___/  v16.11.03 is started and ready.
> >
> > Just update the released version in the properties before a release.
> >
> > Regards,
> > James Yong
> >

> > On 2017-11-27 22:08, Akash Jain <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> +1, version information should available somewhere, it will be helpful.
> >>
> >> Thanks and Regards
> >> --
> >> Akash Jain

Re: OFBiz Version Info

OK then if we have both, why not?

Jacques

Le 27/11/2017 à 17:15, James Yong a écrit :

> Hi Jacques,
>
> The developer can refer to the proposed ofbiz.version property if needed.
>
> Regards,
> James Yong
>
> On 2017-11-28 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> That's good when you start but could be hard to find after many days running in production for instance
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 27/11/2017 à 15:43, James Yong a écrit :
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> How about hardcoding the released version in start.properties?
>>> E.g.
>>> ofbiz.version=v16.11.03
>>>
>>> During startup, we can print out the version as part of the startup message like:
>>>      ____  __________  _
>>>     / __ \/ ____/ __ )(_)___
>>>    / / / / /_  / __  / /_  /
>>> / /_/ / __/ / /_/ / / / /_
>>> \____/_/   /_____/_/ /___/  v16.11.03 is started and ready.
>>>
>>> Just update the released version in the properties before a release.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> James Yong

Re: OFBiz Version Info

James Yong-2
Hi all,

If there is no further discusson, I will create a JIRA issue later to
1) add an ofbiz.version key in start.properties file; and
2) have the ofbiz.version key value included in the startup message.

Regards,
James Yong

On 2017-11-28 01:35, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OK then if we have both, why not?
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 27/11/2017 à 17:15, James Yong a écrit :
> > Hi Jacques,
> >
> > The developer can refer to the proposed ofbiz.version property if needed.
> >
> > Regards,
> > James Yong
> >
> > On 2017-11-28 00:03, Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi James,
> >>
> >> That's good when you start but could be hard to find after many days running in production for instance
> >>
> >> Jacques

12