OFBizDebug and OFBIZ-11302

With OFBIZ-11302 Mathieu removed the ofbizDebug Gradle task, because "ofbiz --debug-jvm" can be used instead.

I have no problem with this change, it's easy to remember. Though I like the idea of having syntax sugar to easy remember commands, like ofbizDebug
and ofbizBackground

BTW ofbizDebug still appears when you run "gradlew tasks". And don't we lose the "<Commands>" part?

Thanks to care

Re: OFBizDebug and OFBIZ-11302

Mathieu Lirzin
Hello,

Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> writes:

> With OFBIZ-11302 Mathieu removed the ofbizDebug Gradle task, because "ofbiz --debug-jvm" can be used instead.

This is now ‘gradlew "ofbiz" --debug-jvm’ with the --debug-jvm outside
of the double quotes.

> I have no problem with this change, it's easy to remember. Though I
> like the idea of having syntax sugar to easy remember commands, like
> ofbizDebug and ofbizBackground
>
> BTW ofbizDebug still appears when you run "gradlew tasks". And don't we lose the "<Commands>" part?

On my machine ‘gradlew tasks’ do not include ofbizDebug on trunk.

Mathieu Lirzin
GPG: F2A3 8D7E EB2B 6640 5761  070D 0ADE E100 9460 4D37

Le 02/12/2019 à 18:18, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> With OFBIZ-11302 Mathieu removed the ofbizDebug Gradle task, because "ofbiz --debug-jvm" can be used instead.
> This is now ‘gradlew "ofbiz" --debug-jvm’ with the --debug-jvm outside
> of the double quotes.

g ofbiz --debug-jvm (no quotes at all) works on Windows (I use g as shortcut to gradlew)

>> I have no problem with this change, it's easy to remember. Though I
>> like the idea of having syntax sugar to easy remember commands, like
>> ofbizDebug and ofbizBackground
>>
>> BTW ofbizDebug still appears when you run "gradlew tasks". And don't we lose the "<Commands>" part?
> On my machine ‘gradlew tasks’ do not include ofbizDebug on trunk.

Right, I must have tested before pulling or something

So, if nobody is against this change, I'll create a new shortcut for the whole command, et voilà :) Not a problem with me.

Re: OFBizDebug and OFBIZ-11302

Nicolas Malin-2
I agree to use native process that offer more standardization.

Nicolas

On 03/12/2019 09:45, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Le 02/12/2019 à 18:18, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> With OFBIZ-11302 Mathieu removed the ofbizDebug Gradle task, because
>>> "ofbiz --debug-jvm" can be used instead.
>> This is now ‘gradlew "ofbiz" --debug-jvm’ with the --debug-jvm outside
>> of the double quotes.
>
> g ofbiz --debug-jvm (no quotes at all) works on Windows (I use g as
> shortcut to gradlew)
>

>>> I have no problem with this change, it's easy to remember. Though I
>>> like the idea of having syntax sugar to easy remember commands, like
>>> ofbizDebug and ofbizBackground
>>>
>>> BTW ofbizDebug still appears when you run "gradlew tasks". And don't
>>> we lose the "<Commands>" part?
>> On my machine ‘gradlew tasks’ do not include ofbizDebug on trunk.
>
> Right, I must have tested before pulling or something
>
> So, if nobody is against this change, I'll create a new shortcut for
> the whole command, et voilà :) Not a problem with me.

Re: OFBizDebug and OFBIZ-11302

Mathieu Lirzin
Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> writes:

> Le 02/12/2019 à 18:18, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :
>>
>> Jacques Le Roux <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> With OFBIZ-11302 Mathieu removed the ofbizDebug Gradle task, because "ofbiz --debug-jvm" can be used instead.
>> This is now ‘gradlew "ofbiz" --debug-jvm’ with the --debug-jvm outside
>> of the double quotes.
>
> g ofbiz --debug-jvm (no quotes at all) works on Windows (I use g as shortcut to gradlew)

Yes that works with Bash too. But if you want to pass options to ofbiz
you need to add the quotes in order for the gradle template tasks to
match, like ‘gradlew "ofbiz --start" --debug-jvm’.

IMHO the fact that someone like you which is a seasoned OFBiz
contributor is getting confused by the syntax of the syntactic sugar
provided by task templates is a strong sign we should *not* use this
kind of obscure black magic and use the standard and *documented* ‘run’
task instead [1] which would read like the following:

    gradlew run --args="--start" --debug-jvm

[1] https://docs.gradle.org/current/userguide/application_plugin.html

Mathieu Lirzin

Le 03/12/2019 à 20:06, Mathieu Lirzin a écrit :

>>> This is now ‘gradlew "ofbiz" --debug-jvm’ with the --debug-jvm outside
>>> of the double quotes.
>> g ofbiz --debug-jvm (no quotes at all) works on Windows (I use g as shortcut to gradlew)
> Yes that works with Bash too. But if you want to pass options to ofbiz
> you need to add the quotes in order for the gradle template tasks to
> match, like ‘gradlew "ofbiz --start" --debug-jvm’.
>
> IMHO the fact that someone like you which is a seasoned OFBiz
> contributor is getting confused by the syntax of the syntactic sugar
> provided by task templates is a strong sign we should*not*  use this
> kind of obscure black magic and use the standard and*documented*  ‘run’
> task instead [1] which would read like the following:
>
>      gradlew run --args="--start" --debug-jvm

gradlew run --debug-jvm works also. I'd not like to complicate too much the syntax. For what purpose,a part maybe a theoretical one?

Also now we need to differentiate gradlew from "gradlew build" because the last run check and not the 1st. Is that well documented, I mean the
difference between the 2?

Jacques