OfBiz microservices

Fahim Farook
Hello everyone!

I don't have much experience with ofbiz; nevertheless, I began looking for an ecommerce platform and came across it. I wanted to understand whether OfBiz applications could be deployed as microservices. i.e. ofbiz/framework + ofbiz/applications/some app> for each "microservice"? And what would the challenges in creating a single admin panel?

Thanks,
Fahim

Re: OfBiz microservices

Eugen Stan
Hello Fahim,

I'm also thinking about this. Microservices that share a DB might not be
"true" microservices but we can go with that.

I'm quite new to OFBiz myself and figuring out how to deploy it for the
same purpose. I believe docker might help to ease deployment so I am
working on making a docker image [1], [2] and kubernetes chart [3]

Some of the ideas I have is to:

* Deploy OFBiz apps with framework as libraries (need to be published) -
as HTTP app
* I think using a shared cache is mandatory
* Use a proxy in front to route requests to the right microservice

Some things that would help IMO are:
* for OFBiz to have an API - it's easier IMO to reason about and less
dependencies per microservice
* OFBiz to publish libraries of framework apps so we can reuse them in
apps without having to build everything

I'm looking forward to hearing more ideas about this.

[1] https://hub.docker.com/repository/docker/ieugen/ofbiz
[2] https://github.com/ieugen/ofbiz-framework/ - branch
OFBIZ-10407-docker-ieugen

Eugen Stan
+40720 898 747 / netdava.com

Re: OfBiz microservices

Fahim Farook
Eugen, thank you for your insights!

I discovered Moqui, which appears to address several of my issues, although I have yet to experiment it more.

Thanks,
Fahim

From: Eugen Stan <[hidden email]>
Date: Saturday, 19 June 2021 at 11:14 AM