Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

Eilebrecht, Karl  (Key-Work)
Hi,

we use Ofbiz (mostly the entity engine) for over 2 years now.

Last year I had mail contact with David.

He recommended to contribute changes to the Ofbiz Community regularly whenever possible and useful.

It is a long time since this happened, but we finally convinced our management to try

to contribute some changes and extensions to the Ofbiz community.

I read the FAQ and found out that especially complex changes might take a long time

and we may need some "community attendance".

David told me to place our proposal at the Ofbiz-WIKI

and to send a link to this mailing list.

This is our "trial balloon" to find out whether our changes and improvements

are welcome and how we could integrate them during the next months.

I.e. the following extensions may also be interesting for other members

of the community:

 * Advanced custom SQL integration

 * advanced sorting (locale, collation, natural sort)

 * completely refactored TransactionUtil with documentation and hints

 * on-demand "real"-sql-logging for ALL ofbiz statements

I placed our stuff at http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Key-Work+Ofbiz+Contribution+Proposal

and hope one of the "Ofbiz gurus" will have a look at the attached stuff to make a statement.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards

Karl Eilebrecht

--
Karl Eilebrecht
Key-Work Consulting GmbH

Kriegsstr. 100 - 76133 Karlsruhe - Germany
Fon: +49-721-78203-277 - Fax: +49-721-78203-10
[hidden email]

Key-Work Consulting GmbH Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

Anil Patel
Thanks for your. Contribution, they are always welcome. Contributions
of this size may take long to before they get into trunk, in this case
timing if also a factor. Community is planning a release after long
time so they will try to avoid major changes to framework component.

Please be patient I am sure some body will look at it.

In order to make it easy to review ca it be broken into smaller patches.

Regards

On 4/20/07, Eilebrecht, Karl  (Key-Work) <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> we use Ofbiz (mostly the entity engine) for over 2 years now.
>

> Last year I had mail contact with David.
>

> He recommended to contribute changes to the Ofbiz Community regularly
> whenever possible and useful.
>

> It is a long time since this happened, but we finally convinced our
> management to try
>

> to contribute some changes and extensions to the Ofbiz community.
>

> I read the FAQ and found out that especially complex changes might take a
> long time
>

> and we may need some "community attendance".
>

> David told me to place our proposal at the Ofbiz-WIKI
>
> and to send a link to this mailing list.
>

> This is our "trial balloon" to find out whether our changes and improvements
>

> are welcome and how we could integrate them during the next months.
>

> I.e. the following extensions may also be interesting for other members
>
> of the community:
>

>  * Advanced custom SQL integration
>
>  * advanced sorting (locale, collation, natural sort)
>
>  * completely refactored TransactionUtil with documentation and hints
>
>  * on-demand "real"-sql-logging for ALL ofbiz statements

> I placed our stuff at
> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Key-Work+Ofbiz+Contribution+Proposal
>
> and hope one of the "Ofbiz gurus" will have a look at the attached stuff to
> make a statement.
>

> Thank you in advance!
>

> Best regards
>

> Karl Eilebrecht
>
> --
> Karl Eilebrecht
> Key-Work Consulting GmbH
>
> Kriegsstr. 100 - 76133 Karlsruhe - Germany
> Fon: +49-721-78203-277 - Fax: +49-721-78203-10
> [hidden email]
>

> Key-Work Consulting GmbH Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
> Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

jonwimp
Karl,

I believe the community is branching a release this Friday (now?).

After forking a release branch, the trunk can and SHOULD be free to blaze ahead rapidly, even with
loads of new enhancements from yourself.

The idea of separate branches is simply to have multiple prongs of activity for various
intentions, each prong insulated from the others. The release branch will be "slow-moving waters",
gradually and surely stabilizing into a solid-in-stone release. The trunk is NOT meant for
stabilizing, but for ongoing progress.

In the worst case, the community should consider forking an "exploratory" branch to test out your
contributions, and then merge those contributions into trunk after ironing out any
incompatibilities between OFBiz codes and your codes.

I believe you are already maintaining your own SVN for your own modified OFBiz, and you should be
pulling in updates regularly from OFBiz trunk. I am doing just that.

If this is your objective:

To get the latest and greatest of OFBiz merged with your proven (2 years) enhancements,

let me know. I'll take in your enhancements and merge them in with OFBiz trunk right now, and then
hand the whole "greater than sum of parts" assembly back to you. We'll iron out incompatibilities
rapidly in another "slow-moving waters" branch called "Karl's Exploratory Branch".

Only condition, of course, is that you expressly indicate that your enhancements are to be put
under ASL, or any other license completely compatible with the one OFBiz is currently using.

We shouldn't turn away complex contributions anymore. I myself have loads of enhancements (mostly
to widget module) that I feel uneasy about releasing to the community, simply because of this odd
use of trunk: it's used like a slow-moving release branch that is unable to handle introductions
of radical enhancements.

Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and focused enough on achieving
release-quality stability. It's the worst of both worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for
radical progress, and not calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable release for
non-OFBiz developers.

Jonathon

Anil Patel wrote:

> Thanks for your. Contribution, they are always welcome. Contributions
> of this size may take long to before they get into trunk, in this case
> timing if also a factor. Community is planning a release after long
> time so they will try to avoid major changes to framework component.
>
> Please be patient I am sure some body will look at it.
>
> In order to make it easy to review ca it be broken into smaller patches.
>
> Regards
>

> On 4/20/07, Eilebrecht, Karl  (Key-Work) <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>

>> we use Ofbiz (mostly the entity engine) for over 2 years now.
>>

>> Last year I had mail contact with David.
>>

>> He recommended to contribute changes to the Ofbiz Community regularly
>> whenever possible and useful.
>>

>> It is a long time since this happened, but we finally convinced our
>> management to try
>>

>> to contribute some changes and extensions to the Ofbiz community.
>>

>> I read the FAQ and found out that especially complex changes might take a
>> long time
>>

>> and we may need some "community attendance".
>>

>> David told me to place our proposal at the Ofbiz-WIKI
>>
>> and to send a link to this mailing list.
>>

>> This is our "trial balloon" to find out whether our changes and
>> improvements
>>

>> are welcome and how we could integrate them during the next months.
>>

>> I.e. the following extensions may also be interesting for other members
>>
>> of the community:
>>

>>  * Advanced custom SQL integration
>>
>>  * advanced sorting (locale, collation, natural sort)
>>
>>  * completely refactored TransactionUtil with documentation and hints
>>
>>  * on-demand "real"-sql-logging for ALL ofbiz statements

>> I placed our stuff at
>> http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Key-Work+Ofbiz+Contribution+Proposal
>>
>> and hope one of the "Ofbiz gurus" will have a look at the attached
>> stuff to
>> make a statement.
>>

>> Thank you in advance!
>>

>> Best regards
>>

>> Karl Eilebrecht
>>
>> --
>> Karl Eilebrecht
>> Key-Work Consulting GmbH
>>
>> Kriegsstr. 100 - 76133 Karlsruhe - Germany
>> Fon: +49-721-78203-277 - Fax: +49-721-78203-10
>> [hidden email]
>>

>> Key-Work Consulting GmbH Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
>> Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

David E Jones

On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:04 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:

> We shouldn't turn away complex contributions anymore.

"We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution because
it was complex.

> I myself have loads of enhancements (mostly to widget module) that
> I feel uneasy about releasing to the community, simply because of
> this odd use of trunk: it's used like a slow-moving release branch
> that is unable to handle introductions of radical enhancements.
>
> Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and focused
> enough on achieving release-quality stability. It's the worst of
> both worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for radical progress,
> and not calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable
> release for non-OFBiz developers.
Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful to
you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to
step back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel
free to share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

jonwimp
David,

 > "We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution because it
 > was complex.

Very well, I'll just use the word "you" then. I take it that you do not turn away contributions
because they were complex.

The question from me would be whether you do or do not turn away, knowingly or not, contributions
that are valid but too complex for review. It's not rhetorical, but you're free to do your own
sanity/verification checks on that supposed phenomenon and deem it rhetorical or invalid.

 > Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
 > fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful to
 > you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to step
 > back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel free to
 > share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

I'm not so sure of the "why" of things, but am only more certain of the "what" of things. Things
are the way they are, no matter how we interpret the "why".

So, for now, I continue to merge in (to my own SVN) several contributions that are deemed too
difficult to review/merge by the committers. I continue to keep such enhancements in step with
updates from OFBiz trunk. And I continue in my failure(?) to feed such "compatibilized/merged"
enhancements back to OFBiz trunk even though they really are the same license.

And the phenomenon of several of us (incompatible contributors?) holding on to our own
enhancements will continue. Some of us may not know how to keep in step with OFBiz trunk updates;
others may. Those of us who can keep in step will continue to benefit from OFBiz progress, but be
unable to feed the benefit back to OFBiz. There will still be enhancements out there that are kept
away/apart from OFBiz. That's the way of things? Or maybe not?

I stand corrected. I think I am "helping" OFBiz in the wrong way. I'll stop that. :) Thanks for
reminding me.

I was waiting to dump the loads of my enhancements into your trunk, but I think I should take a
sanity check for now. Anyway, there needs to be at least one stabilizing branch (save point, so to
speak) before we can go full steam with the trunk. And there's still no such branch yet.

Jonathon

David E. Jones wrote:

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:04 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> We shouldn't turn away complex contributions anymore.
>
> "We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution because it
> was complex.
>
>> I myself have loads of enhancements (mostly to widget module) that I
>> feel uneasy about releasing to the community, simply because of this
>> odd use of trunk: it's used like a slow-moving release branch that is
>> unable to handle introductions of radical enhancements.
>>
>> Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and focused
>> enough on achieving release-quality stability. It's the worst of both
>> worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for radical progress, and not
>> calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable release for
>> non-OFBiz developers.
>
> Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
> fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful to
> you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to step
> back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel free to
> share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

cjhowe
I sense this discussion may be hijacking Karl's thread, thus the
subject change.  Karl's proposal looks very interesting and deserves
its own thread.

<trying to turn this to constructive dialog>
Jonathon, which enhancement are you speaking of that hasn't had the
opportunity to be reviewed sufficiently?

As soon as the formal vote concludes on the branch, I'm sure there will
be a lot of dialog about direction and features and approaches to bug
fixes in the coming days and weeks.

If someone replies to this, please cut of the (was...) in the subject

--- Jonathon -- Improov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >> unable to handle introductions of radical enhancements.
> >>
> >> Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and
> focused
> >> enough on achieving release-quality stability. It's the worst of
> both
> >> worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for radical progress, and
> not
> >> calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable release
> for
> >> non-OFBiz developers.
> >
> > Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
> > fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful
> > you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to
> step
> > back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel free
> > share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

jonwimp
Chris,

I don't know offhand which enhancements (currently on Jira) are not reviewed. I only know those I
have with me.

I feel we should never let newcomers (or even old timers) hear something like "please dump your
stuff in that corner, and we'll get to it in time". No, not that we'd be rude. Just that we'd lose
that contribution! We're on the receiving end, so I suggest we start begging for the contribution
instead.

Being reasonably experienced/adept with version control systems (SVN/CVS), I can't see why we
can't have someone perform a wholesale merge (to resolve incompatibilities) on a "crazy, no holds
barred branch".

Then we may ask, "ok, so who's gonna test that crazy branch and deem it adequately
compatilibized/merged to be patched back into trunk"? That's why I'm guessing that our
(contributors') main motivation for donating codes is to have the latest and greatest of OFBiz
work with our tested enhancements. The code contributor himself will start using that crazy
branch, just to see his own enhancements working in tandem with the latest and greatest of OFBiz.

Jonathon

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> David E. Jones wrote:

>>> "We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution
>> because it
>>> was complex.

>> this
>> is

>> focused
>> both
>> not
>> for
>>> Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
>>> fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful
>>> you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to
>> step
>>> back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel free
>>> share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.
>>>
>>> -David

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

Jacopo Cappellato
Jonathon,

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I don't know offhand which enhancements (currently on Jira) are not
> reviewed. I only know those I have with me.

What are these enhancements? Are they in Jira?

> I feel we should never let newcomers (or even old timers) hear something
> like "please dump your stuff in that corner, and we'll get to it in
> time". No, not that we'd be rude. Just that we'd lose that contribution!
> We're on the receiving end, so I suggest we start begging for the
> contribution instead.

Who said this? Jira is not a 'corner', it's the main (and only, for non
committers) channel for accepting a contribution.

> Being reasonably experienced/adept with version control systems
> (SVN/CVS), I can't see why we can't have someone perform a wholesale
> merge (to resolve incompatibilities) on a "crazy, no holds barred branch".

I think it's funny that, because you don't like Jira, you are proposing
to make everyone a committer.

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

cjhowe
Hi Karl,

I had the opportunity today to quickly read over your introductions.
And must say it looks very interesting.  Unfortunately, for my being
able to add input to the process, the improvements are in areas as an
OFBiz user, that I take for granted and don't really get my hands dirty
with.

I'll need to read over the transaction part again to ask any
intelligent questions, so I'll leave that for later.

The custom SQL stuff looked very interesting and probably one of the
larger areas of benefit as more and more people are getting to the
point of locating bottlenecks in their applications.  I was wondering
if there might be some benefit in encapsulating the stored sql
statements it in an XML structure to be able to better take advantage
of some META data/commenting that you discussed as well as potential of
some reusability and structuring of those custom statements.

Perhaps, I need to reread the logging discussion again, and ask if this
is largely supported among other databases, but can't most of these
logging of the sql statements be handled in the database's log, if
configured to do so?  I recall a mention that the developer may not
have sufficient access to the database server to ascertain the database
logs...is this case where the logging proposal would be more
beneficial?

Thank you and Key-Work very much for bringing these enhancements back
to the community!

Chris

--- "Eilebrecht, Karl  (Key-Work)" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> we use Ofbiz (mostly the entity engine) for over 2 years now.
>

> Last year I had mail contact with David.
>

> He recommended to contribute changes to the Ofbiz Community regularly
> whenever possible and useful.
>

> It is a long time since this happened, but we finally convinced our
> management to try
>

> to contribute some changes and extensions to the Ofbiz community.
>

> I read the FAQ and found out that especially complex changes might
> take a long time
>

> and we may need some "community attendance".
>

> David told me to place our proposal at the Ofbiz-WIKI
>
> and to send a link to this mailing list.
>

> This is our "trial balloon" to find out whether our changes and
> improvements
>

> are welcome and how we could integrate them during the next months.
>

> I.e. the following extensions may also be interesting for other
> members
>
> of the community:
>

>  * Advanced custom SQL integration
>
>  * advanced sorting (locale, collation, natural sort)
>
>  * completely refactored TransactionUtil with documentation and hints
>

>  * on-demand "real"-sql-logging for ALL ofbiz statements

> I placed our stuff at

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/Key-Work+Ofbiz+Contribution+Proposal

> and hope one of the "Ofbiz gurus" will have a look at the attached
> stuff to make a statement.
>

> Thank you in advance!
>

> Best regards
>

> Karl Eilebrecht
>
> --
> Karl Eilebrecht
> Key-Work Consulting GmbH
>
> Kriegsstr. 100 - 76133 Karlsruhe - Germany
> Fon: +49-721-78203-277 - Fax: +49-721-78203-10
> [hidden email]
>

> Key-Work Consulting GmbH Karlsruhe, HRB 108695, HRG Mannheim
> Geschäftsführer: Andreas Stappert, Tobin Wotring

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

+1

David E. Jones sent the following on 4/20/2007 7:52 PM:

> On Apr 20, 2007, at 9:04 PM, Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
>
>> We shouldn't turn away complex contributions anymore.
>
> "We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution because it
> was complex.
>
>> I myself have loads of enhancements (mostly to widget module) that I
>> feel uneasy about releasing to the community, simply because of this
>> odd use of trunk: it's used like a slow-moving release branch that is
>> unable to handle introductions of radical enhancements.
>>
>> Yet, this somewhat slow-moving trunk isn't still enough and focused
>> enough on achieving release-quality stability. It's the worst of both
>> worlds: it's not rapid enough to allow for radical progress, and not
>> calm and focused-on-cleaning-up enough to produce a stable release for
>> non-OFBiz developers.
>
> Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
> fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful to
> you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to step
> back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel free to
> share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal

Tim Ruppert
Jonathon - as has always been the case - the role of reviewing "complex" patches does not fall strictly on the committers - it falls on the entire community.  The committers then have the role of putting the code into the trunk.

If you are so concerned that valid works are not being put back into the trunk aggressively enough (which I think that everyone who spends time over here would agree), could you try the proactive approach of looking at more patches and letting the community know which ones you think are tested well enough and offer enough value to go back into the trunk?  That would be a GREAT first step and a very nice change of pace from the aggressive tone you seem to think is appropriate.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

David,

David E. Jones wrote:
[...]

I totally agree with Tim POV. Even I you don't want to become a commiter (yeah, they have some duties and they give some of their time for free) helping them to do their job is the best way to accelerate commiting. Especially if you have already tested things (means patches I guess) in you own code. I'm quite sure your help would be very valuable !

Jacques

  http://www.hotwaxmedia.com

    David E. Jones wrote:
[...]

Tim,

I've already taken those "first steps" long ago. Like I said, I don't know which Jira "feature
requests" are not reviewed; I only know those I have merged into my own SVN. I really don't have
time to send up itemized or clearly demarcated patches.

Many patches I grabbed from folks (sorry I did it so fast, I don't even know who), they work. Some
require streamlining mainly to match OFBiz coding standards and such, but still they do work. By
now, radical patches (like those from Chris Howes?) have gone through merging, and have even taken
a life (progressed) of their own. That's why I can't tell you "which Jira issues", because my
"private Jira store", so to speak, has "moved on". If I can do this aggressively merging without
problems (please use branches for sanity's sake), I am assuming the community of 400 here can do
the same, if not better. (And I'm guessing a good majority of this 400 might just be doing what I
am doing, and OFBiz is none the better for it.)

For now, let's just all do what we're good at, and keep at it. Maybe some day, I can submit a
gigantic patch and it will somehow translate into a bigger better OFBiz. For now, I can't help but
leech off of OFBiz, every single update, but still can't feed the whole sum back to OFBiz. Tough
on my conscience, but something I'll have to live with.

By the way, I have no idea what some folks here are intending to achieve with some off-tangent
remarks. If it's "status quo" they want (in relation to me and "my" patches, ie), they've got it.

If you can understand what I'm doing in my own computers (with OFBiz and radical patches), that's
good and you may do the same good(?) thing in time. If not, I may change my bad(?) tactics over
time. Either way, let's just get back to what we're good at.

Jonathon

Tim Ruppert wrote:

> [...]
>> stop that. :) Thanks for reminding me.
>>
>> I was waiting to dump the loads of my enhancements into your trunk,
>> but I think I should take a sanity check for now. Anyway, there needs
>> to be at least one stabilizing branch (save point, so to speak) before
>> we can go full steam with the trunk. And there's still no such branch yet.
>>
>> Jonathon
>>
>> David E. Jones wrote:
>>> "We" do not now, nor have we ever, turned away a contribution because
>>> it was complex.

>>> Could you do us all a big favor Jonathon? Your comments seem to be
>>> fairly consistent along these lines. I think what would be helpful to
>>> you, and to anyone reading and agreeing with your comments, is to
>>> step back and try to explain why things are the way they are. Feel
>>> free to share that with the group for a sanity check if you'd like.

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

cjhowe
All,
Again, can we please not hijack threads.  We have relatively few eyes
that understand the underpinnings of the entity-engine enough to
possibly improve upon it that it would be a shame for that discussion
to get lost in the noise of project administration discussion.

Jonathon,
Hmph, I only have about ten patches in Jira that affect OFBiz code
directly (thus would suffer from difficulty in sharing a progressed
revision) and none of them seem to have comment from you.  It's one
thing to leach code; we yield that risk by using the Apache license
specifically and OSS in general, however it seems counter-intuitive to
take the time to review code enough to put it into your private project
but not offer the constructive criticism necessary to get it improved
upon or draw the attention of others to get it into the project.

This seems like a lose-lose-lose approach.  You're forced to maintain
obscure code on your own, the author is forced to maintain or abandon
the obscure code and the community doesn't gain the benefit of the code
or the administrative benefit of knowing to ignore the contribution if
it's not a good idea for the project.

> [...]

> trunk,
> >> but I think I should take a sanity check for now. Anyway, there
> needs
> >> to be at least one stabilizing branch (save point, so to speak)
> before
> >> we can go full steam with the trunk. And there's still no such
> branch yet.
> >>
> >> Jonathon

> because
> that I
> this
> that

> focused

> progress,
> stable
> be
> helpful to

> Feel
> like.

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

The patches/enhancements I bring in are not totally "assessed/reviewed", if that's what you mean
by "review code". I only begin to take apart pinpointed portions of those enhancements when I need
to. I'll try to explain again how I work: I really don't know OFBiz, but I pinpoint exact portions
of what needs to be changed for what effect.

If you know how little time it takes for me to assimilate (like the bad old Borgs, if you watch
Star Trek?) your enhancements into my little playground, you'll likely call me crazy or careless
or both. I don't know how to explain this anymore, except to say that SVN does allow us to be that
reckless, and it does provide facilities for us to minimize risks.

I can probably only give you a counter example.

Have you seen developers stare at a somewhat small portion of code, albeit core codes in
framework, and think and rethink over weeks about immediate directions? Ever seen a group of 5-10
developers discuss that small portion over and over, and go on to project
repercussions/ramifications for each direction that is suggested? It's as if this group of
developers expect ZERO human error to occur. That's not how we should force us humans to work. We
make mistakes, live with that. We just need to devise mechanisms to minimize the
risks/repurcussions of those mistakes. If you play computer games, you'll know a mechanism called
"save games" or something.

We can't have "save points" in real life, can't go back in time. But did you know that version
control systems, with their branch and "timeline" concepts, allow us to border on reckless while
giving us ability to drastically minimize costs of mistakes?

Imagine if you could start multiple branches in your real life. You could try out being a movie
star, a casanova, a do-gooder. Each branch perfectly insulated from the others, no rippling effect
for whatever mistakes you made. Wouldn't you be bolder and more reckless in your moves?

Incidentally, I have a personal motto: Fail fast to learn fast. If you don't try things quickly,
you won't find out quickly that you were wrong. Problem-solving by "process of RAPID elimination"
is very efficient: it's easier to say "what doesn't work" than to say "what does work (in all
universal cases)". You'd have to test a solution in all universal cases for the 2nd type of proof.

I don't know how else to explain these concepts. At the risk of being misconstrued as
"un-helpful", I'm gonna just stop here for such topics, and leave OFBiz to it's way of handling
the "real life" that is the OFBiz SVN. Maybe I could be all wrong.

Jonathon

Chris Howe wrote:

> [...]
>>> patches does not fall strictly on the committers - it falls on the
>>> entire community.  The committers then have the role of putting the
>> code
>>> into the trunk.
>>>
>>> If you are so concerned that valid works are not being put back
>> into the
>>> trunk aggressively enough (which I think that everyone who spends
>> time
>>> over here would agree), could you try the proactive approach of
>> looking
>>> at more patches and letting the community know which ones you think
>> are
>>> tested well enough and offer enough value to go back into the
>> trunk?
>>> That would be a GREAT first step and a very nice change of pace
>> from the
>>> aggressive tone you seem to think is appropriate.

I don't want to be agressive or let you thing that I like to make
"off-tangent" remarks. Here is what I think (I can't tell that facts):

1. I'm sure you might be able to be a great help for the community.
2. I better understand now why you'd like to have an "open" branch,
correct me if I'm wrong
    a. You have your own branch(es) of OFBiz
    b. Not using our standard strategy (moving with the community, not
alone) you "losed" the control about the changes you made respectively
to the OFBiz trunk
    c. This is not a problem for you (your branch is a fork but good for
you)
    d. You don't have time to extract your changes atomically but with a
huge patch (unusable by commiters)
3. So your only solution to have your changes in the trunk is for us to
open a branch for you

Okay I'm a bit rude but you forced me and that's really what I think.
Of course I'm open to discussion, you may also pass by my comments.

Sorry and good luck

Jacques

> [...]

will
> >> still be enhancements out there that are kept away/apart from
OFBiz.
> >> That's the way of things? Or maybe not?
> >>
> >> I stand corrected. I think I am "helping" OFBiz in the wrong way.
I'll
> >> stop that. :) Thanks for reminding me.
> >>
> >> I was waiting to dump the loads of my enhancements into your trunk,
> >> but I think I should take a sanity check for now. Anyway, there
needs
> >> to be at least one stabilizing branch (save point, so to speak)
before
> >> we can go full steam with the trunk. And there's still no such
branch yet.

> >> Jonathon

that I

Re: Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

Sorry Chris,

I did not read your message before "answering" to Jonathon, so I kept
the wrong thread (Re: Ofbiz Contribution Proposal)

Jacques

De : "Chris Howe" <[hidden email]>
Objet : Re: Post Branch Enhancements (was Re: Ofbiz Contribution
Proposal)

> [...]

> > > entire community.  The committers then have the role of putting
the

> > code
> > > into the trunk.
> > >
> > > If you are so concerned that valid works are not being put back
> > into the
> > > trunk aggressively enough (which I think that everyone who spends
> > time
> > > over here would agree), could you try the proactive approach of
> > looking
> > > at more patches and letting the community know which ones you
think

> > are
> > > tested well enough and offer enough value to go back into the
> > trunk?
> > > That would be a GREAT first step and a very nice change of pace
> > from the
> > > aggressive tone you seem to think is appropriate.

Jacques,

You lost me. I don't see where you are (or were ever) rude.

 > a. You have your own branch(es) of OFBiz

Yes, I have multiple branches sometimes, which will stabilize and collapse into a few (possibly 2
or 3) branches, and then eventually come down to trunk.

Usually, when I see a huge patch(es) I might like, I'll see many branches popping up.

 > b. Not using our standard strategy (moving with the community,
 > not alone) you "losed" the control about the changes you made
 > respectively to the OFBiz trunk

Hmm. That didn't happen.

The trick is to keep a record of exactly where you branched off, to know how and which
files/folders to do a diff. Of course, you'll need to know which direction to do the diff-patch.

 > c. This is not a problem for you (your branch is a fork but good
 > for you)

If my branch isn't kept in step with OFBiz trunk, that's not ok for me. The OFBiz trunk is
constantly getting updates and bugfixes. Like I said, the "loss of control" didn't happen. I am
still in step with OFBiz trunk. Only issue I have is that the OFBiz trunk can't keep in step with
my own updates, which is fine by me if I really don't mind kicking back and relaxing after
finishing my own work.

 > d. You don't have time to extract your changes atomically but
 > with a huge patch (unusable by commiters)

You're right on this count. Due to the way I perform wholesale aggressive merges (to bring in big
enhancements), my commits are not small. They are quite mostly large and wide in scope. I perform
such wholesale merges, then somehow systematically pick off all incompatibilities.

Hence, I can only feed large patches to the community, not atomic ones like "Added feature A" or
"Fixed bug B".

 > 3. So your only solution to have your changes in the trunk is for us to
 > open a branch for you

No, the solution is for myself to give you a patch that will bring 2 things together: the latest
of OFBiz and the latest of my work. I can tell you that I've tested this patch, but it's really up
to the community to trust me.

On your part, the solution would be to just dump my patch into your trunk. Or if you want to have
a cautious look-see first, you could open a new branch just to test out my patch. This
"exploratory/probationary" branch will be very short-lived, possibly 2-3 updates in the timeline.
After the few updates, you can decide:

a. My patch is playing well with the latest of OFBiz, and you merge it into
    trunk.

OR

b. My patch still has too many incompatibilities with OFBiz, and you discard
    it.

As you can see, the bulk of the work is on my part, in "bringing the latest of OFBiz and my work
together". The fact that I already have the latest of OFBiz playing with my enhancements is
already more than half the work done.

Most folks I come across don't know how to do that part. I was suggesting that someone among us,
someone comfortable with version control adventures, perform that merge for those who can't.

I'm gonna assume you understand the concepts I tried to describe above. It's dinner time now.

Ultimately, the concepts involve "maximizing concurrency". It won't be good if I find myself
limiting my rate/size of progress just so I don't "lose control" or lose sight of OFBiz trunk. I
just moved ahead at full speed, all the while being confident that OFBiz trunk will always be
mergeable into my SVN. The question is whether the OFBiz SVN is similarly confident about merging
our mad-cap-paced work into OFBiz trunk.

Jonathon

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Jonathon,
>
> I don't want to be agressive or let you thing that I like to make
> "off-tangent" remarks. Here is what I think (I can't tell that facts):
>
> 1. I'm sure you might be able to be a great help for the community.
> 2. I better understand now why you'd like to have an "open" branch,
> correct me if I'm wrong
>     a. You have your own branch(es) of OFBiz
>     b. Not using our standard strategy (moving with the community, not
> alone) you "losed" the control about the changes you made respectively
> to the OFBiz trunk
>     c. This is not a problem for you (your branch is a fork but good for
> you)
>     d. You don't have time to extract your changes atomically but with a
> huge patch (unusable by commiters)
> 3. So your only solution to have your changes in the trunk is for us to
> open a branch for you
>
> Okay I'm a bit rude but you forced me and that's really what I think.
> Of course I'm open to discussion, you may also pass by my comments.
>
> Sorry and good luck
>
> Jacques

You should read other messages, then you w'd have seen Chris's about the
new thread. Ok not a big deal. ;o)

Happy that you did not feel my last message "rude" and that your answer
is understandable by me (I must aknowledge that sometimes you lost me).

Perhaps kepping the habit of using numbered points will help our
communication (we have to keep it as concise as possible), trying :

Seems that only the 3d point needs some comments, they are inline...

> [...]
>
> No, the solution is for myself to give you a patch that will bring 2
things together: the latest
> of OFBiz and the latest of my work. I can tell you that I've tested
this patch, but it's really up
> to the community to trust me.
>
> On your part, the solution would be to just dump my patch into your
trunk. Or if you want to have
> a cautious look-see first, you could open a new branch just to test
out my patch. This
> "exploratory/probationary" branch will be very short-lived, possibly
2-3 updates in the timeline.
> After the few updates, you can decide:
>
> a. My patch is playing well with the latest of OFBiz, and you merge it
into
>     trunk.
>
> OR
>
> b. My patch still has too many incompatibilities with OFBiz, and you

To be able to test your changes it'd be really better to at least have
an idea of the features that are added (or withdrawed f any). If they
are many changes and we don't know which they are, just funding our
reviewing work from a diff might be a nightmare.

> As you can see, the bulk of the work is on my part, in "bringing the
latest of OFBiz and my work
> together". The fact that I already have the latest of OFBiz playing
with my enhancements is
> already more than half the work done.
>
> Most folks I come across don't know how to do that part. I was
suggesting that someone among us,
> someone comfortable with version control adventures, perform that
merge for those who can't.

Following http://tinyurl.com/2o5bld this should not be too hard I guess.
Even for people (like me for instance) that have never played with
branches in their own work (ok I have an advantage : I read the book)

> I'm gonna assume you understand the concepts I tried to describe
above. It's dinner time now.

> Ultimately, the concepts involve "maximizing concurrency". It won't be
good if I find myself
> limiting my rate/size of progress just so I don't "lose control" or
lose sight of OFBiz trunk. I
> just moved ahead at full speed, all the while being confident that
OFBiz trunk will always be
> mergeable into my SVN. The question is whether the OFBiz SVN is
similarly confident about merging
> our mad-cap-paced work into OFBiz trunk.

Yes I understand your POV. It stays that merging your change might be a
challenge. And I'm not sure who will want to take it or rather have
enough "free" time to do it.  Explaining clearly what these changes
might bring to OFBiz (at the businnes and technical levels) would surely
be a *1st step* in this direction.

Please, don't misunderstand me. Here, I'm trying to find a way to be
able to merge your changes because I'm sure they are worth it.

Also remember this discussion we had with Chris (and others) about
"joint work" and licence. This is perhaps the worse issue in your case !
You may Googlize or use Nabble if you need explanations...

Jacques

> Jonathon
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
> > Jonathon,
> >
> > I don't want to be agressive or let you thing that I like to make
> > "off-tangent" remarks. Here is what I think (I can't tell that
facts):

> > 1. I'm sure you might be able to be a great help for the community.
> > 2. I better understand now why you'd like to have an "open" branch,
> > correct me if I'm wrong
> >     a. You have your own branch(es) of OFBiz
> >     b. Not using our standard strategy (moving with the community,
not
> > alone) you "losed" the control about the changes you made
respectively
> > to the OFBiz trunk
> >     c. This is not a problem for you (your branch is a fork but good
for
> > you)
> >     d. You don't have time to extract your changes atomically but
with a
> > huge patch (unusable by commiters)
> > 3. So your only solution to have your changes in the trunk is for us
> > open a branch for you
> >
> > Okay I'm a bit rude but you forced me and that's really what I
think.

> > Of course I'm open to discussion, you may also pass by my comments.
> >
> > Sorry and good luck
> >
> > Jacques

Glad I seem to be making sense to you. Please pardon my inability to explain some concepts; I'm
more a worker than a teacher/discusser.

 > To be able to test your changes it'd be really better to at least have
 > an idea of the features that are added (or withdrawed f any). If they
 > are many changes and we don't know which they are, just funding our
 > reviewing work from a diff might be a nightmare.

Yes, every commit does have some comments about what is added or changed. However, there are also
some comments that say: "Brought in Chris Howe's Rico experiment.". Again, the trick is I brought
in a huge wide-spanning stuff on a short-lived exploratory branch. Sort of like me saying, "Let me
try out being a casanova for a short time, just a quick try". I'm not a casanova, not
french/italian (sorry for stereotype, blame the movies), and I'd probably get in a lot of trouble
for trying. But SVN is not like real life.

My ability/inability to "compatibilize" a huge patch with my work will determine whether or not
the exploratory branch dies or gets merged into my trunk. If I do have a casanova in me, I can try
some casanova lifestyle in the "main branch (trunk)" of my life; if not, that exploratory branch
gets pruned off for good, never to be merged into my trunk.

 > Yes I understand your POV. It stays that merging your change might be a
 > challenge.

No more a challenge than merging OFBiz trunk into our own work, due to the instability of the
trunk. If you recall, there are some folks who tried to "marry latest of OFiz with own
enhancements", and they failed.

If I can use exploratory branches to bring in OFBiz trunk updates _wholesale_ (my commit logs go
like "brought in OFBiz trunk r123:456), the question still remains: Should it be that tough for
OFBiz SVN to bring in radical enhancements the way I bring in OFBiz trunk updates?

OFBiz trunk updates, especially when they span a week, are just as "radical/un-atomic" as the
enhancements Karl or the rest of us try to submit.

 > Also remember this discussion we had with Chris (and others) about
 > "joint work" and licence. This is perhaps the worse issue in your case !
 > You may Googlize or use Nabble if you need explanations...

That's why I was following Chris Howes' dissertations on the "joint work" issue.

I've since read the ASL 2.0.

Merging my changes shouldn't be that difficult, since I only pull in stuff from JIRA and other
donations clearly labelled as ASL. Unless... I misunderstood that all patches/comments in JIRA
were explicitly contributed under ASL.

As with all merges, the further the deviation (given time), the more difficult to reconcile.
Karl's contribution was 2 years in the making; that's 1.99 years too late to bring in. Yet, that
is still earlier than 2.01 years. The longer we wait (eg "please hold, we're busy, we'll look into
your enhancements soon"), the more difficult to reconcile.

Similarly, for the release branch, there really is no point at all in waiting to fork one. OFBiz
is already very full-featured as it is now; it's a different case when OFBiz has not even ONE
function working.

Hope all that makes sense to you.

Jonathon

123