POS 'central' server configuration

Ricardo Chavez
Hello everybody
I have the following question about the POS module: how can I tell this
module the address of the database server it must sync with? I've read one
must check the file applications/ pos/data/PosSyncSettings.xml out to
configure the syncing between the server and the POS, but it doesn't mention
anything about where the main database is (by 'main' I mean the one that
opentaps uses). How can I set it?

Thanks in advance for your answer

-- Ricardo Chavez

Re: POS 'central' server configuration

> Hello everybody
> I have the following question about the POS module: how can I tell this
> module the address of the database server it must sync with? I've read one
> must check the file applications/ pos/data/PosSyncSettings.xml out to
> configure the syncing between the server and the POS, but it doesn't mention
> anything about where the main database is (by 'main' I mean the one that
> opentaps uses). How can I set it?
>
> Thanks in advance for your answer
>
> -- Ricardo Chavez

Hi Ricardo,

This setting is intended to synchronise a main database (on the Central - or Main - Server : MCS) with the databases of local stores
servers (PSS) each of them being synchronised with POS terminals.
Each of these OFBiz instances use a database. Store here means a physical store where POS terminals are.

There is 4 types of flow :
MCS -> PSS
PSS -> POS
POS -> PSS
PSS -> MCS

where
MCS is a central OFBiz server (with one database, the central database where all products information are are maintained and where
the consolidation is done)
PSS is an instance of a server store (with one database, the store database where all store inventory information are stored)
POS is an instance of a POS terminal (with one database, the POS database where all information)

the flow MCS -> PSS is used to update catalogs (from the central database where the catalogs are maintained) of the stores. This
include roughly pricing, promotions, basic product info, etc.
the flow PSS -> POS  is used to roughly update catalogs of the POS terminals
the flow POS -> PSS is used to roughly update orders, payments , etc. of the store
the flow PSS -> MCS  is used to roughly update orders, payments, inventory, etc. in the main database.

This scheme is very powerful and help you to extend your net of stores has needed. Remember that this is only an example and you can
extend it from your needs.

In the commented examples the MCS update the PSS hence POS catalogs every 2 hours and the POS terminals update MCS database about
orders every 5 minutes .

This is at least how I see it. If I made a mistake, a core developper will surely corrects me.

Re: POS 'central' server configuration

David E Jones-2

This is good information, but if you're going to do a POS deployment
that synchronizes data between multiple systems you really need to
understand the EntitySync stuff, and really the entity and service
engines in general. It is a powerful tool with lots of options, but
it also has some inherent limitations so you should understand the
nature of what it does and how.

The best resource for this right now is probably the new Advanced
Framework training materials that I just finished a few weeks ago.
You should start with the Framework Introduction, and there are links
from there to details about the advanced framework stuff:

http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/VideosFrameworkIntro.html

-David

On Aug 19, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

>> Hello everybody
>> I have the following question about the POS module: how can I tell
>> this
>> module the address of the database server it must sync with? I've
>> read one
>> must check the file applications/ pos/data/PosSyncSettings.xml out to
>> configure the syncing between the server and the POS, but it
>> doesn't mention
>> anything about where the main database is (by 'main' I mean the
>> one that
>> opentaps uses). How can I set it?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your answer
>>
>> -- Ricardo Chavez
>
> Hi Ricardo,
>
> This setting is intended to synchronise a main database (on the
> Central - or Main - Server : MCS) with the databases of local stores
> servers (PSS) each of them being synchronised with POS terminals.
> Each of these OFBiz instances use a database. Store here means a
> physical store where POS terminals are.
>
> There is 4 types of flow :
> MCS -> PSS
> PSS -> POS
> POS -> PSS
> PSS -> MCS
>
> where
> MCS is a central OFBiz server (with one database, the central
> database where all products information are are maintained and where
> the consolidation is done)
> PSS is an instance of a server store (with one database, the store
> database where all store inventory information are stored)
> POS is an instance of a POS terminal (with one database, the POS
> database where all information)
>
> the flow MCS -> PSS is used to update catalogs (from the central
> database where the catalogs are maintained) of the stores. This
> include roughly pricing, promotions, basic product info, etc.
> the flow PSS -> POS  is used to roughly update catalogs of the POS
> terminals
> the flow POS -> PSS is used to roughly update orders, payments ,
> etc. of the store
> the flow PSS -> MCS  is used to roughly update orders, payments,
> inventory, etc. in the main database.
>
> This scheme is very powerful and help you to extend your net of
> stores has needed. Remember that this is only an example and you can
> extend it from your needs.
>
> In the commented examples the MCS update the PSS hence POS catalogs
> every 2 hours and the POS terminals update MCS database about
> orders every 5 minutes .
>
> This is at least how I see it. If I made a mistake, a core
> developper will surely corrects me.

Re: POS 'central' server configuration

Ricardo Chavez
Thanks a lot for the information, and sorry for the double e-mail. I'll
check the videos now.

-- Ricardo Chavez