Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
obstructing working copy".

This is because we have already a plugins folder in the ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we replace it by a new one
(plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused (in root)

I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main README.MD?),
it will fix this problem.

Opinions?

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Pierre Smits
I don't believe replacement of the entire plugin folder (or even deletion,
which I noticed in a comment/posting elsewhere) would go down well with
developers who also have created their own special purpose components.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy
> after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
> obstructing working copy".
>
> This is because we have already a plugins folder in the
> ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we
> replace it by a new one (plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused
> (in root)
>
> I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the
> folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main
> README.MD?), it will fix this problem.
>
> Opinions?

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

What would you suggest?

Jacques

Le 14/03/2017 à 14:55, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> I don't believe replacement of the entire plugin folder (or even deletion,
> which I noticed in a comment/posting elsewhere) would go down well with
> developers who also have created their own special purpose components.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pierre Smits
>
> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
> OFBiz based solutions & services
>
> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy
>> after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
>> obstructing working copy".
>>
>> This is because we have already a plugins folder in the
>> ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we
>> replace it by a new one (plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused
>> (in root)
>>
>> I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the
>> folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main
>> README.MD?), it will fix this problem.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Deepak Dixit-3
I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins it will
its delete sub-folder.
I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)

If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git does
not support empty folder.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy
> after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
> obstructing working copy".
>
> This is because we have already a plugins folder in the
> ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we
> replace it by a new one (plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused
> (in root)
>
> I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the
> folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main
> README.MD?), it will fix this problem.
>
> Opinions?

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.

Jacques

Le 14/03/2017 à 19:04, Deepak Dixit a écrit :

> I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins it will
> its delete sub-folder.
> I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)
>
> If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git does
> not support empty folder.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy
>> after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
>> obstructing working copy".
>>
>> This is because we have already a plugins folder in the
>> ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we
>> replace it by a new one (plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused
>> (in root)
>>
>> I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the
>> folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main
>> README.MD?), it will fix this problem.
>>
>> Opinions?
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Deepak Dixit-3
We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you will
not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do checkout of
plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 14/03/2017 à 19:04, Deepak Dixit a écrit :
>
>> I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins it will
>> its delete sub-folder.
>> I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)
>>
>> If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git does
>> not support empty folder.
>>

>> Thanks & Regards
>> --
>> Deepak Dixit
>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just crossed an issue while updating my ofbiz-framework working copy
>>> after having used pullAllPluginsSource. I get an error message "Skipped
>>> obstructing working copy".
>>>
>>> This is because we have already a plugins folder in the
>>> ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we
>>> replace it by a new one (plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused
>>> (in root)
>>>
>>> I think we can live w/o the README.txt in the plugins folder and the
>>> folder altogether and document it another way if needed (in the main
>>> README.MD?), it will fix this problem.
>>>
>>> Opinions?
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

taher
Sure, let's change the implementation. I'd be glad to help if I receive
some suggestions. For now .. the implementation is as follows:

- create a temp directory
- checkout to that directory
- delete /plugins
- rename temp to plugins

I'm all ears for the best approach.

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Deepak Dixit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you will
> not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do checkout of
> plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.
> >
> > Jacques
> >

> > Le 14/03/2017 à 19:04, Deepak Dixit a écrit :
> >
> >> I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins it
> will
> >> its delete sub-folder.
> >> I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)
> >>
> >> If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git does
> >> not support empty folder.
> >>

> >> Thanks & Regards
> >> --
> >> Deepak Dixit
> >> www.hotwaxsystems.com
> >>
> >> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> >> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,

> confused

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

What I fear (still not looked into it) is that Taher did it that way because he (rightly) wanted to have the same structure than before, ie the
possibility to commit a change in a plugin from the root of the project.

So I fear that another solution will impose to have as much as working copies as plugins. Then you have to commit by plugin. It's not a big deal for
one change but multiples in different plugins become a pain. I mentioned that earlier.

Jacques

Le 15/03/2017 à 06:15, Deepak Dixit a écrit :

> We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you will
> not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do checkout of
> plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 14/03/2017 à 19:04, Deepak Dixit a écrit :
>>
>>> I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins it will
>>> its delete sub-folder.
>>> I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)
>>>
>>> If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git does
>>> not support empty folder.
>>>

>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> --
>>> Deepak Dixit
>>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Shi Jinghai-3
From my view, gradle is a simplified maven, is it possible to use version/snapshot way to bring the plugins in?

What I fear (still not looked into it) is that Taher did it that way because he (rightly) wanted to have the same structure than before, ie the possibility to commit a change in a plugin from the root of the project.

So I fear that another solution will impose to have as much as working copies as plugins. Then you have to commit by plugin. It's not a big deal for one change but multiples in different plugins become a pain. I mentioned that earlier.

Jacques

Le 15/03/2017 à 06:15, Deepak Dixit a écrit :

> We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you
> will not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do
> checkout of plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 14/03/2017 à 19:04, Deepak Dixit a écrit :
>>
>>> I think we can improve gradle task and instead of deleting plugins
>>> it will its delete sub-folder.
>>> I am sure gradle should have ability to delete sub-folder. :)
>>>
>>> If we delete README.txt then it will not be available in git as git
>>> does not support empty folder.
>>>

>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> --
>>> Deepak Dixit
>>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>>
>>> On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Deepak Dixit-3
Hi Taher,

I tried to change it with following bug not able to run sub process.

{code}

task pullAllPluginsSource(group: ofbizPlugin,
    def svnOutput = new ByteArrayOutputStream()
    exec {
       commandLine 'svn', 'list','--xml',
'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/ofbiz-plugins/trunk'
       standardOutput = svnOutput
    }
    def plugins= new XmlParser().parseText(svnOutput.toString())
    plugins.list.entry.each {plugin ->
       def pluginId =  plugin.name.text()
       gradlewSubprocess(['pullPluginSource', "-PpluginId=${pluginId}"])
    }
}

{code}

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure, let's change the implementation. I'd be glad to help if I receive
> some suggestions. For now .. the implementation is as follows:
>
> - create a temp directory
> - checkout to that directory
> - delete /plugins
> - rename temp to plugins
>
> I'm all ears for the best approach.
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Deepak Dixit <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you will
> > not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do checkout
> of
> > plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.
> >

> > Thanks & Regards
> > --
> > Deepak Dixit
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 12:18 AM, Jacques Le Roux <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > That would be better indeed, I did not look a it yet.
> > >
> > > Jacques

> > will

> does

> copy
> "Skipped

> > confused

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

taher
Hi Deepak,

So there are multiple issues with this code that I attempt summarize below:
- First, you are directly using the subversion command in an "exec" block.
We used the subversion plugin to avoid having gradle depend on anything
other than gradle. I think it might be better to try and list the plugins
through the subversion-plugin for gradle.
- It would be very slow, memory consuming and inefficient to use the
gradlewSubprocess for each plugin individually and it might choke resources
on your computer
- Finally, the way you wrote this task would create a ".svn" directory for
each plugin individually instead of having a single ".svn" directory for
all of them under /plugins.

Maybe an easier way is to keep the pullAllPluginSource task as is, but
instead of deleting plugins, we just delete everything _inside_ plugins and
then move the checkout resources to there.

Would that solve the subversion problem? Let me just reiterate the steps:

- checkout plugins into /temp
- delete everything _inside_ /plugins
- move everything (including .svn) from /temp to /plugins
- delete /temp

Regards,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 9:33 AM, Deepak Dixit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Taher,
>
> I tried to change it with following bug not able to run sub process.
>
> {code}
>
> task pullAllPluginsSource(group: ofbizPlugin,
> control.') {
>     def svnOutput = new ByteArrayOutputStream()
>     exec {
>        commandLine 'svn', 'list','--xml',
> 'https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ofbiz/ofbiz-plugins/trunk'
>        standardOutput = svnOutput
>     }
>     def plugins= new XmlParser().parseText(svnOutput.toString())
>     plugins.list.entry.each {plugin ->
>        def pluginId =  plugin.name.text()
>        gradlewSubprocess(['pullPluginSource', "-PpluginId=${pluginId}"])
>     }
> }
>
> {code}
>

> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Sure, let's change the implementation. I'd be glad to help if I receive
> > some suggestions. For now .. the implementation is as follows:
> >
> > - create a temp directory
> > - checkout to that directory
> > - delete /plugins
> > - rename temp to plugins
> >
> > I'm all ears for the best approach.
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 8:15 AM, Deepak Dixit <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > We need to enhance pullAllPluginsSource task, after running this you
> will
> > > not able to commit or run any svn command on plugins, as it do checkout
> > of
> > > plugins/trunk and copy its folder into plugins.
> > >

> > > Thanks & Regards
> > > --
> > > Deepak Dixit
> > > www.hotwaxsystems.com

> it
> > > will

> > does

> > copy
> > "Skipped

> we
> > > confused

> the
> main

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

taher
Oh, and just for completeness, maybe another solution is to instruct
subversion to ignore /plugins completely? or even delete it altogether, but
make gradle create the directory if missing?

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:36 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > Sure, let's change the implementation. I'd be glad to help if I receive
>> > some suggestions. For now .. the implementation is as follows:
>> >
>> > - create a temp directory
>> > - checkout to that directory
>> > - delete /plugins
>> > - rename temp to plugins
>> >
>> > I'm all ears for the best approach.

>> will
>> checkout
>> > of

>> it

>> > does

>> > copy
>> > "Skipped

>> we

>> the
>> main

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Thanks Taher,

Make sense, I am fine with following approach.

Would that solve the subversion problem? Let me just reiterate the steps:

- checkout plugins into /temp
- delete everything _inside_ /plugins
- move everything (including .svn) from /temp to /plugins
- delete /temp

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> [...]

> > On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:22 AM, Taher Alkhateeb <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure, let's change the implementation. I'd be glad to help if I receive
> > > some suggestions. For now .. the implementation is as follows:
> > >
> > > - create a temp directory
> > > - checkout to that directory
> > > - delete /plugins
> > > - rename temp to plugins
> > >
> > > I'm all ears for the best approach.

> > will
> checkout
> > > of

> > it

> git
> > > does

> > > copy
> > > "Skipped

> > we

> > the
> > main

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Just to be on the safe side though, do you think that would solve the
subversion issue? I mean does subversion complain because of folder
deletion and then creation? or does it complain because of move a .svn
based repo from one subdirectory to another?

Also what about the idea of ignoring /plugins and then just creating it
when starting any server task in OFBiz?

What would you recommend as the more "friendly to subversion" approach? I'm
not a very big fan of subversion so that's why I ask for suggestions to
guide me through :)

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 11:13 AM, Deepak Dixit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > >        gradlewSubprocess(['pullPluginSource',
> "-PpluginId=${pluginId}"])
> > >     }
> > > }
> > >
> > > {code}
> > >

> > > Thanks & Regards
> > > --
> > > Deepak Dixit
> > > www.hotwaxsystems.com

> receive

> you
> > > will
> > checkout

> plugins
> > > it

> > git

> working

> pullAllPluginsSource
> > > we

> and
> > > the
> > > main

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

Taher, Deepak,

I already explained the reason of the problem in the initial thread message.

<<This is because we have already a plugins folder in the ofbiz-framework/trunk branch and when we use pullAllPluginsSource we replace it by a new one
(plugins folder) and the main .svn gets confused (in root) >>

In other words, because of the plugins/README.txt file when you create a working copy from the ofbiz-framework/trunk branch you generate a .svn in
root folder where there is a "knowledge" of this file and the plugins directory.

So, we can't delete it and replace it by another different plugins directory.

I'll give a try on changing pullAllPluginsSource now

Jacques

Le 15/03/2017 à 09:51, Taher Alkhateeb a écrit :

> [...]
>>> - move everything (including .svn) from /temp to /plugins
>>> - delete /temp
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Taher Alkhateeb

>> "-PpluginId=${pluginId}"])

>> receive

>> you
>>> checkout

>> plugins

>>> git

>> working

>> pullAllPluginsSource

>> and

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

> In other words, because of the plugins/README.txt file when you create a working copy from the ofbiz-framework/trunk branch you generate a .svn in
> root folder where there is a "knowledge" of this file and the plugins directory.
>
> So, we can't delete it and replace it by another different plugins directory.
I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9262 and tried something w/o success so far, a bit worrisome, but there is a plan B: have as
much as WCs than plugins, something I was worrying about initially...

Re: Plugins: skipped obstructing working copy (error message)

> Le 15/03/2017 à 15:10, Jacques Le Roux a écrit :
>> In other words, because of the plugins/README.txt file when you create a working copy from the ofbiz-framework/trunk branch you generate a .svn in
>> root folder where there is a "knowledge" of this file and the plugins directory.
>>
>> So, we can't delete it and replace it by another different plugins directory.
> I created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-9262 and tried something w/o success so far, a bit worrisome, but there is a plan B: have as
> much as WCs than plugins, something I was worrying about initially...
>
> Jacques

And of course an (IMO) even better PLAN A': remove the plugins folder and document it in the main README.MD file

Jacques