Postgres dump/restore - our promotions are broken!

Postgres dump/restore - our promotions are broken!

Vince Clark
We have a really strange thing happening when restoring a database from a dump file. One of our promotions doesn't work as it did before. Nothing has changed. I can go to the old database from where we dumped the data and the promo works fine. I run pg_dump, restore the database to another server, and the very same promotion only partially works. It is a quantity discount that discounts the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th quantities of an item on an order. What is strange is that it correctly discounts quantities of 2 or 4, but not 3.

The only difference I can see in the data is that the promo actions were loaded in the oposite order from the original database. We are running against the same codebase.

Vince Clark
Global Era
The Freedom of Open Source
[hidden email]
(303) 493-6723

Re: Postgres dump/restore - our promotions are broken!

Krzysztof Podejma
check, if ID's are the same on old and new copy
your problem may occur when auto increment is enabled
You can use tools to export one db to sql and import data to other with
strict ID's.
phpMyAdmin supports this, maybe there is something for postgres.

Krzysztof Podejma

2007/11/27, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]>:

> We have a really strange thing happening when restoring a database from a
> dump file. One of our promotions doesn't work as it did before. Nothing has
> changed. I can go to the old database from where we dumped the data and the
> promo works fine. I run pg_dump, restore the database to another server, and
> the very same promotion only partially works. It is a quantity discount that
> discounts the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th quantities of an item on an order. What
> is strange is that it correctly discounts quantities of 2 or 4, but not 3.
>
> The only difference I can see in the data is that the promo actions were
> loaded in the oposite order from the original database. We are running
> against the same codebase.
>

> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

RE: Postgres dump/restore - our promotions are broken!

SkipDever
I would love to know how to pronounce Krzysztof.

Skip

check, if ID's are the same on old and new copy
your problem may occur when auto increment is enabled
You can use tools to export one db to sql and import data to other with
strict ID's.
phpMyAdmin supports this, maybe there is something for postgres.

Krzysztof Podejma

2007/11/27, Vince M. Clark <[hidden email]>:

> We have a really strange thing happening when restoring a database from a
> dump file. One of our promotions doesn't work as it did before. Nothing
has
> changed. I can go to the old database from where we dumped the data and
the
> promo works fine. I run pg_dump, restore the database to another server,
and
> the very same promotion only partially works. It is a quantity discount
that
> discounts the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th quantities of an item on an order.
What

> is strange is that it correctly discounts quantities of 2 or 4, but not 3.
>
> The only difference I can see in the data is that the promo actions were
> loaded in the oposite order from the original database. We are running
> against the same codebase.
>

> Vince Clark
> Global Era
> The Freedom of Open Source
> [hidden email]
> (303) 493-6723

Re: Postgres dump/restore - our promotions are broken!

Krzysztof Podejma
???

2007/11/27, skip@thedevers <[hidden email]>:

> I would love to know how to pronounce Krzysztof.
>
> Skip

Never tracked down whether it was a postgres issue or not. We re-created the promotions and they worked.

> I would love to know how to pronounce Krzysztof.
>
> Skip

Hi Krzyzstof

I was just wondering how to pronounce (say) your name "Krzyzstof ".  I have
never seen that name before.

Skip

> I would love to know how to pronounce Krzysztof.
>
> Skip

It is Christopher in polish. ;]