Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

it's nice to have the new 'Apache' policy in place about the "official"
way to get listed on the ofbiz.org site as a "Premium Service Provider":
just submit a patch with the changes so that a committer can review and
commit it for you.

However I think that it's time to set up some rules about the
prerequisites needed to get listed there and I'd like to discuss this
with you all.

For example:

1) in the main page of the provider's web site, there should be a
reference to the Apache OFBiz site (logo?)
2) somewhere in the site, what kind of OFBiz services are provided

Any thoughts?

Re: Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

David E Jones-2

I think if the community thinks it's a good idea then we should go
for it. This would be a good thing to vote on because I'm guessing
that different people will have different opinions/preferences on
this...

If we do end up doing it, here are some of my thoughts on it:

1. we should wait until after Apache graduation and resources have
been migrated (hopefully we'll have our home page at ofbiz.apache.org
in not too long...)

2. we might want to just require that the page that the ofbiz listing
links to has an obvious OFBiz notice and link back the ofbiz home
page; in other words, rather than requiring it on the company's home
page, just allow it on another page on their site that the link from
ofbiz goes to

3. we should send out notices about this policy (with a link to an
official looking/located page with the written policy) and give
people some time, perhaps even a couple of weeks, before we start
reviewing sites and tossing links

I took a quick look at some of the current service providers and a
few already have this, but not all. So, it may be that everyone is
okay with it...

-David

On Sep 15, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> it's nice to have the new 'Apache' policy in place about the
> "official" way to get listed on the ofbiz.org site as a "Premium
> Service Provider":
> just submit a patch with the changes so that a committer can review
> and commit it for you.
>
> However I think that it's time to set up some rules about the
> prerequisites needed to get listed there and I'd like to discuss
> this with you all.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) in the main page of the provider's web site, there should be a
> reference to the Apache OFBiz site (logo?)
> 2) somewhere in the site, what kind of OFBiz services are provided
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Jacopo

Re: Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

Tim Ruppert
Wasn't there a policy in effect before?  I guess I could've made it up,
but wasn't there something posted on either www.ofbiz.org or the Wiki
about the requirements of becoming a Premium Service Provider?

For some reason I keep thinking that it was something like 3 new OFBiz
applications per year or something like that . . .   Someone tell me I'm
not losing it.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

David E Jones wrote:

> I think if the community thinks it's a good idea then we should go for
> it. This would be a good thing to vote on because I'm guessing that
> different people will have different opinions/preferences on this...
>
> If we do end up doing it, here are some of my thoughts on it:
>
> 1. we should wait until after Apache graduation and resources have
> been migrated (hopefully we'll have our home page at ofbiz.apache.org
> in not too long...)
>
> 2. we might want to just require that the page that the ofbiz listing
> links to has an obvious OFBiz notice and link back the ofbiz home
> page; in other words, rather than requiring it on the company's home
> page, just allow it on another page on their site that the link from
> ofbiz goes to
>
> 3. we should send out notices about this policy (with a link to an
> official looking/located page with the written policy) and give people
> some time, perhaps even a couple of weeks, before we start reviewing
> sites and tossing links
>
> I took a quick look at some of the current service providers and a few
> already have this, but not all. So, it may be that everyone is okay
> with it...
>
> -David
>

> On Sep 15, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> it's nice to have the new 'Apache' policy in place about the
>> "official" way to get listed on the ofbiz.org site as a "Premium
>> Service Provider":
>> just submit a patch with the changes so that a committer can review
>> and commit it for you.
>>
>> However I think that it's time to set up some rules about the
>> prerequisites needed to get listed there and I'd like to discuss this
>> with you all.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> 1) in the main page of the provider's web site, there should be a
>> reference to the Apache OFBiz site (logo?)
>> 2) somewhere in the site, what kind of OFBiz services are provided
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Jacopo

Re: Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

David E Jones-2

There were some requirements like that. They were created back when
OFBiz was run pretty much just by Andy and I and we were moderating
those listings.

Now that the OFBiz committer group is larger and it is much more
community driven, and even more importantly now an ASF project, the
policy is totally different, or perhaps more accurately totally
disbanded. This is now treated like any other source file and all
committers are able to make changes to it, so the normal issue/patch
process applies.

-David

On Sep 15, 2006, at 11:57 PM, Tim Ruppert wrote:

> Wasn't there a policy in effect before?  I guess I could've made it
> up, but wasn't there something posted on either www.ofbiz.org or
> the Wiki about the requirements of becoming a Premium Service
> Provider?
> For some reason I keep thinking that it was something like 3 new
> OFBiz applications per year or something like that . . .   Someone
> tell me I'm not losing it.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>
> --
> Tim Ruppert
> HotWax Media
> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>
> o:801.649.6594
> f:801.649.6595
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>>
>> I think if the community thinks it's a good idea then we should go
>> for it. This would be a good thing to vote on because I'm guessing
>> that different people will have different opinions/preferences on
>> this...
>>
>> If we do end up doing it, here are some of my thoughts on it:
>>
>> 1. we should wait until after Apache graduation and resources have
>> been migrated (hopefully we'll have our home page at
>> ofbiz.apache.org in not too long...)
>>
>> 2. we might want to just require that the page that the ofbiz
>> listing links to has an obvious OFBiz notice and link back the
>> ofbiz home page; in other words, rather than requiring it on the
>> company's home page, just allow it on another page on their site
>> that the link from ofbiz goes to
>>
>> 3. we should send out notices about this policy (with a link to an
>> official looking/located page with the written policy) and give
>> people some time, perhaps even a couple of weeks, before we start
>> reviewing sites and tossing links
>>
>> I took a quick look at some of the current service providers and a
>> few already have this, but not all. So, it may be that everyone is
>> okay with it...
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Sep 15, 2006, at 4:01 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> it's nice to have the new 'Apache' policy in place about the
>>> "official" way to get listed on the ofbiz.org site as a "Premium
>>> Service Provider":
>>> just submit a patch with the changes so that a committer can
>>> review and commit it for you.
>>>
>>> However I think that it's time to set up some rules about the
>>> prerequisites needed to get listed there and I'd like to discuss
>>> this with you all.
>>>
>>> For example:
>>>
>>> 1) in the main page of the provider's web site, there should be a
>>> reference to the Apache OFBiz site (logo?)
>>> 2) somewhere in the site, what kind of OFBiz services are provided
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?
>>>
>>> Jacopo

Re: Premium Service Providers in the OFbiz site

Tim Ruppert
Just good to know that I wasn't making it all up!

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594