Product custom sizing

ben-permeance
I create a product (furniture) that allows the user to enter in custom sizing eg(Length, Width, Height).
I don't need to calculate a price.

Any suggestions?

Re: Product custom sizing

David E Jones
On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:48:19 -0800 (PST)
ben-permeance <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I create a product (furniture) that allows the user to enter in
> custom sizing eg(Length, Width, Height).
> I don't need to calculate a price.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can gather extra information about products using surveys, like the
demo gift card products.

Re: Product custom sizing

ben-permeance
Im not sure that a survey will be adequate. As the dimensions need to be associated with that particular product when the order is placed, and multiple products may be added. (tried with a survey set to "Add-to-Cart" type.

Also, the client will need to enter custom dimensions when they enter an oder through the ordering system.

David E Jones wrote
ben-permeance <ben@permeance.com.au> wrote:

> I create a product (furniture) that allows the user to enter in
> custom sizing eg(Length, Width, Height).
> I don't need to calculate a price.
>
> Any suggestions?

You can gather extra information about products using surveys, like the
demo gift card products.

RE: Product custom sizing

Christopher L
This is an excellent question.

Here's my first thoughts on the subject.

I would consider using an "aggregate" product type.  Look at the ProductConfig and ProductConfigItem tables.  I'd define a new configItemTypeId (maybe Numeric?) that would be a new product config question type.  From there, some code would need to be added to the webapp to handle presenting an input box instead of a radio button list.  I haven't looked at how configurations of aggregate products are stored, but, sight unseen, I think it would be pretty easy to store a number instead of a key to ProductConfigOption.

Adding multple configurable items should come free with the prior tweaks.

Chris