Production Run with Subassemby

Claude Feistel
I am testing production runs, and have a problem when a part in the BOM is a
subassembly from another production run.  The scenario:

            Production Run 1:  builds a subassembly from raw parts that are
transferred into inventory.   Saves the subassembly into inventory.

            Production Run 2:  builds a finished good using the subassembly
from Run 1.

Question 1:  Is this a valid production run scenario?

When Run 2 is at the Issue Components step, it has this error:

            The Following Errors Occurred:

* Error calling event: org.ofbiz.webapp.event.EventHandlerException:
Service invocation error (Commit transaction failed)

Question 2:  Where are the error logs kept, that will detail this problem?

Thanks,

Claude Feistel

Re: Production Run with Subassemby

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Claude,

Claude Feistel wrote:

> I am testing production runs, and have a problem when a part in the BOM is a
> subassembly from another production run.  The scenario:
>
>             Production Run 1:  builds a subassembly from raw parts that are
> transferred into inventory.   Saves the subassembly into inventory.
>
>             Production Run 2:  builds a finished good using the subassembly
> from Run 1.
>

> Question 1:  Is this a valid production run scenario?

Yes, it is.

> When Run 2 is at the Issue Components step, it has this error:
>

>             The Following Errors Occurred:
>
> * Error calling event: org.ofbiz.webapp.event.EventHandlerException:
> Service invocation error (Commit transaction failed)
>
> Question 2:  Where are the error logs kept, that will detail this problem?

Yes please, send the log file (zipped); you'll find it in the
framework/logs/console.log file (the console.log file is recreated
everytime OFBiz is restarted).

Jacopo

> Thanks,
>

> Claude Feistel

RE: Production Run with Subassemby

Claude Feistel
Ok, I will collect the console.log file and send it along later today.
Thanks,

Claude Feistel
IntegraSphere Inc.
Austin, TX
1-512-250-1710
www.integrasphere.com

> When Run 2 is at the Issue Components step, it has this error:
>

>             The Following Errors Occurred:
>
> * Error calling event: org.ofbiz.webapp.event.EventHandlerException:
> Service invocation error (Commit transaction failed)
>
> Question 2:  Where are the error logs kept, that will detail this problem?

Yes please, send the log file (zipped); you'll find it in the
framework/logs/console.log file (the console.log file is recreated
everytime OFBiz is restarted).

Jacopo

> Thanks,
>

> Claude Feistel

RE: Production Run with Subassemby

Claude Feistel
Jacopo, here is the console.log file that contains the production run
attempts including a new one toward the end of it.

console-snapshot-cfeistel.zip (60K) Download Attachment

Re: Production Run with Subassemby

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Claude,

ok the error is this:

Service Error [postRawMaterialIssuancesToG粒]: No ProductAverageCost
found for productId [spr243L2.0] and organization [Company].

So you just need to add a record (for each one of the
components/subassemblies) to the ProductAverageCost entity and
everything will be ok (this is needed to post the correct GL transactions).

I think (but I'm not sure, maybe Si can help with this) that in more
recent versions of the "financials" component this step is no more needed.

Jacopo

Claude Feistel wrote:

> Jacopo, here is the console.log file that contains the production run
> attempts including a new one toward the end of it.
>
> Claude Feistel

Thanks Jacopo.  I will give this a try shortly.  We are bringing the applications up one at a time, so that dependency wasn't on our minds yet because the accounting system is external right now.

Claude

Claude Feistel wrote:

> Jacopo, here is the console.log file that contains the production run
> attempts including a new one toward the end of it.
>
> Claude Feistel

Jacopo, thanks for the help.  Now I see how to use the console log to figure this out myself.

Another question:
I see the nice "Simulate BOM" output with the BOM nested structure visible.  I am using a test with three levels of sub-assembly in the BOMs. I can make any of the subassemblies individually, and stock them into inventory.

Here is the question part-A:  Can a production run include both the top level BOM and it's Routing, and also include a sub-assembly BOM and its tasks without running the sub-assembly as a separate production run.  I haven't figured this out. My test is not picking up parts from the sub-assembly BOM that is included in the production run.

Question part-B: how are the "Mandatory Production Runs", and "Dependent Production Runs" used?  How/where do you configure these?

Thanks,

Claude Feistel
IntegraSphere Inc.
Austin, TX

Claude Feistel wrote:

> Jacopo, here is the console.log file that contains the production run
> attempts including a new one toward the end of it.
>
> Claude Feistel

Si Chen: ProductAverageCost -- Production Run with Subassemby

Claude Feistel
I have a lot of trouble with productaveragecost exceptions when modeling production runs which are looking for non-zero values in the entity.

Has there been development on this since 0.9.1 opentaps came out? I looked in your BLOG but did not spot any comments about this item yet. (Maybe missed it.)

Thanks,

Claude Feistel
IntegraSphere Inc.
Austin, TX

Claude Feistel wrote:

> Jacopo, here is the console.log file that contains the production run
> attempts including a new one toward the end of it.
>
> Claude Feistel

Claude,

the answers to your your two questions are correlated and so my guess is
that you are very close to understand the big picture here (this part of
the system is really very complex) :-)

By definition one production run will only consider the routing and
components of just ONE level; however you can do what you need using the
WIP products:

1) set the product type of the sub-assembly products as WIP
2) when the production run is created for the top (finished) product the
system will automatically create one production run for each of the wip
products and it will associate all the production runs with
mandatory/dependent relations
3) then you have to complete the wip production runs (mandatory) before
you can run the production run for the top product
4) the units produced by the wip production runs are not stored in
inventory but immediately 'consumed' by the top level production run

However the bad news is that all this stuff will not run when you
manually create a production run; you have to run them using the
shipment plan features:

1) create a sales order for the finished product
2) create an empty shipment and, using the "shipment plan" tab add the
order item to the shipment
3) set the shipment status to 'scheduled'
4) go to the manufacturing->shipment plan menu: you should see the
scheduled shipments here
5) click on your new shipment and run the "create production runs" link

That's all.
Let me know!

Jacopo

Claude Feistel wrote:

> Jacopo, thanks for the help.  Now I see how to use the console log to figure this out myself.
>
> Another question:
> I see the nice "Simulate BOM" output with the BOM nested structure visible.  I am using a test with three levels of sub-assembly in the BOMs. I can make any of the subassemblies individually, and stock them into inventory.
>
> Here is the question part-A:  Can a production run include both the top level BOM and it's Routing, and also include a sub-assembly BOM and its tasks without running the sub-assembly as a separate production run.  I haven't figured this out. My test is not picking up parts from the sub-assembly BOM that is included in the production run.
>
> Question part-B: how are the "Mandatory Production Runs", and "Dependent Production Runs" used?  How/where do you configure these?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Claude Feistel
> IntegraSphere Inc.
> Austin, TX

Re: Production Run with Subassemby

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Jacopo

Your excellent answer to Claude's question raises a few issue I'm about
to face.

I'm interested in how this discussion relates to the new Automatically
produced marketing packages.

Specifically:
How do sub-assembly production runs relate to automatically produced
marketing package production runs?

Does it matter if none of the marketing package components use the
routing feature?

If a sub-assembly of one product is also a finished good of a different
product, does it need to be defined as a WIP?

Thanks

Daniel

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 18:33 +0200, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> Claude,
>
> the answers to your your two questions are correlated and so my guess is
> that you are very close to understand the big picture here (this part of
> the system is really very complex) :-)
>
> By definition one production run will only consider the routing and
> components of just ONE level; however you can do what you need using the
> WIP products:
>
> 1) set the product type of the sub-assembly products as WIP
> 2) when the production run is created for the top (finished) product the
> system will automatically create one production run for each of the wip
> products and it will associate all the production runs with
> mandatory/dependent relations
> 3) then you have to complete the wip production runs (mandatory) before
> you can run the production run for the top product
> 4) the units produced by the wip production runs are not stored in
> inventory but immediately 'consumed' by the top level production run
>
> However the bad news is that all this stuff will not run when you
> manually create a production run; you have to run them using the
> shipment plan features:
>
> 1) create a sales order for the finished product
> 2) create an empty shipment and, using the "shipment plan" tab add the
> order item to the shipment
> 3) set the shipment status to 'scheduled'
> 4) go to the manufacturing->shipment plan menu: you should see the
> scheduled shipments here
> 5) click on your new shipment and run the "create production runs" link
>
> That's all.
> Let me know!
>
> Jacopo
>
> Claude Feistel wrote:
> > Jacopo, thanks for the help.  Now I see how to use the console log to figure this out myself.
> >
> > Another question:
> > I see the nice "Simulate BOM" output with the BOM nested structure visible.  I am using a test with three levels of sub-assembly in the BOMs. I can make any of the subassemblies individually, and stock them into inventory.
> >
> > Here is the question part-A:  Can a production run include both the top level BOM and it's Routing, and also include a sub-assembly BOM and its tasks without running the sub-assembly as a separate production run.  I haven't figured this out. My test is not picking up parts from the sub-assembly BOM that is included in the production run.
> >
> > Question part-B: how are the "Mandatory Production Runs", and "Dependent Production Runs" used?  How/where do you configure these?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Claude Feistel
> > IntegraSphere Inc.
> > Austin, TX

Re: Production Run with Subassemby

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Daniel,

Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> Hi Jacopo
>
> Your excellent answer to Claude's question raises a few issue I'm about
> to face.
>
> I'm interested in how this discussion relates to the new Automatically
> produced marketing packages.
>
> Specifically:
> How do sub-assembly production runs relate to automatically produced
> marketing package production runs?

Marketing package production runs are standard production runs that are
immediately create and completed when a sales order is created.
The components of the marketing package should already be in inventory;
if not you have to buy or build them (but this is not done automatically
by the system). I hope to have answered your question.

> Does it matter if none of the marketing package components use the
> routing feature?

If the marketing package components don't have components under them
they don't need a routing.
However there is always a default routing that is used for the product
with components but without a routing.

> If a sub-assembly of one product is also a finished good of a different
> product, does it need to be defined as a WIP?

Marking a product as a WIP (productTypeId = WIP) means that the product
will never be stored in warehouse or sold; if fact WIP (work-in-process)
products are only present in the manufacturing facility as a temp result
of a manufacturing process on behalf of another manufacturing process.

> Daniel

Re: Claude Feistel: Si Chen: ProductAverageCost -- Production Run with Subassemby

Hi Claude,

On Aug 23, 2006, at 8:49 AM, Claude Feistel wrote:

> I have a lot of trouble with productaveragecost exceptions when
> modeling production runs which are looking for non-zero values in
> the entity.

Are you issuing raw materials are not in inventory?

We did change it recently -- now it will look for a standard cost as
well.  We're releasing 0.9.2 today on sourceforge, or you can get the
SVN version of financials and try it.

> Has there been development on this since 0.9.1 opentaps came out? I
> looked in your BLOG but did not spot any comments about this item
> yet. (Maybe missed it.)

Yes, there has been a lot of development...  Unfortunately the blog
is fairly time consuming, so I have not been including everything -
but I will start doing so.
> Thanks,

You're welcome!

> Claude Feistel
> IntegraSphere Inc.
> Austin, TX

Thanks for that...  If all goes well, I'll be testing it all soon with
full accounting.

---

Hey perhaps a stupid question...

Should the directory folder scheme be updated:

> framework/base/src/start/org/ofbiz/base/

> framework/base/src/start/org/ofbiz/framework/base/

since it's been moved?