Properly edited OFBiz manuals

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

David E Jones-2

On Dec 28, 2006, at 2:38 AM, Scott Gray wrote:

> Hi Jacopo, David
>
> I would just as happily submit patches for releases as I do for the
> trunk, and perhaps we should just assume the community can handle
> it until we are proven otherwise?  I would expect that we could
> handle the first release easily, and it would just get harder as
> the number of releases increases?

This is exactly what I'm hoping for... and I agree that things would
get harder as the number of release branches increases so we'd want
to do something to minimize this. Like I mentioned in the email I
just wrote a somewhat happy medium might be doing a new release
branch from the trunk once per year.

-David

> Regards
> Scott
>
> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> Of course it would also be great to have a real 'stable' releases
>> (with patches for them etc...) as you are suggesting (and I really
>> think we could implement the two approaches simultaneously since
>> what I've proposed could be the basis of a real release
>> management) but I'm not sure the community will really maintain
>> them...

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

I agree with David.

IMHO tt seems the best way to go. Having to support 2 or 3 releases seems reasonable. More seems infeasible in our actual reality.

I don't know much about it but it looks like how Debian is driven and that way seems to work well.
If on the road we are lucky and find more ressources (I mean human ressources ;o) we may then go the way Ubuntu is going : creating
a new release every 6 months (Debian frequency is 18 months if I'm not wrong).
Also Ubuntu has chosen to support versions during 18 months. Ubuntu 6.06 LTS being the 1st exception : LTS stands for Long Time
Support meaning 3 years for desktop 5 years for server here (BTW 6.06 means june 2006). I think we may inspire ourself by this
support policy (inspiring is not copying ;o) and external releases numbering. We may have other release number in intern but that
may complicate things a bit.

In conclusion : I like this way to go because it's not too techie and simple to understand for end users (meaning not developpers
here)

WDYT ?

Jacques

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Walter Vaughan
[..snip..]

Golly, what a can of worms is open here. Actually what drew me to ofBiz was the
amount of updates to the system.

The last commercial ERP solution we considered was SYSPRO. The folks at Syspro
PRIDE themselves on weekly ports to their software. I have/had an .iso of a
marketing DVD they have with almost two hours of non-stop preaching how ERP
systems must and should be updated on a continuous basis, and that point release
updates are evil. (e.g. 5.0 -> 6.0 on done every 18 months)

I was sold. Couldn't justify the seat costs for the number I needed, but I was
sold on the concept. During our courting period I also got a weekly email that
was similar to what Si Chen does with his blog listing the dozen or so
improvements to the system in the past week, and this in an ERP system with
15,000 current installs.

As a end user, what I am looking for is non-failure. Thus far I have more than
enough trust in the core developers to always do the right thing.

--
Walter

On Dec 28, 2006, at 6:54 PM, Walter Vaughan wrote:

> [..snip..]
>
> Golly, what a can of worms is open here. Actually what drew me to
> ofBiz was the amount of updates to the system.
>
> The last commercial ERP solution we considered was SYSPRO. The
> folks at Syspro PRIDE themselves on weekly ports to their software.
> I have/had an .iso of a marketing DVD they have with almost two
> hours of non-stop preaching how ERP systems must and should be
> updated on a continuous basis, and that point release updates are
> evil. (e.g. 5.0 -> 6.0 on done every 18 months)
>
> I was sold. Couldn't justify the seat costs for the number I
> needed, but I was sold on the concept. During our courting period I
> also got a weekly email that was similar to what Si Chen does with
> his blog listing the dozen or so improvements to the system in the
> past week, and this in an ERP system with 15,000 current installs.
>
> As a end user, what I am looking for is non-failure. Thus far I
> have more than enough trust in the core developers to always do the
> right thing.

I think this really comes down to community needs. There is and
always will be a trunk moving forward with both new features and bug
fixes and we'll always want to keep it as stable as possible, and
people can update whenever they want to.

This is another reason I like the idea of a long period between
creating new release branches: developers will hopefully never think
that they can commit something risky without checking it out thinking
that it won't affect anyone...

Still, I think there is enough demand in the community for periodic
releases. There is also a marketing aspect here that I think is
important, especially as we get out as a real ASF project and are
wanting to attract new users as well as help other people get an idea
of what OFBiz is all about.

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Walter,

Of course I was not thinking of changing that's already exist :
SVN trunk will be always available...

Jacques

> Golly, what a can of worms is open here. Actually what drew me to ofBiz was the
> amount of updates to the system.
>
> The last commercial ERP solution we considered was SYSPRO. The folks at Syspro
> PRIDE themselves on weekly ports to their software. I have/had an .iso of a
> marketing DVD they have with almost two hours of non-stop preaching how ERP
> systems must and should be updated on a continuous basis, and that point release
> updates are evil. (e.g. 5.0 -> 6.0 on done every 18 months)
>
> I was sold. Couldn't justify the seat costs for the number I needed, but I was
> sold on the concept. During our courting period I also got a weekly email that
> was similar to what Si Chen does with his blog listing the dozen or so
> improvements to the system in the past week, and this in an ERP system with
> 15,000 current installs.
>
> As a end user, what I am looking for is non-failure. Thus far I have more than
> enough trust in the core developers to always do the right thing.
>
> --
> Walter

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Cameron Smith-6
My 2 metical after following all the other arguments....  I would be happy to help with detailing and preparing the release procedures and regression tests (see below).

1. Goal of a Release
I agree with David that it should provide a stable set of artifacts.  NOT just at the level of screens, but at the level of services and entities because almost everyone who deploys OFBiz customizes it in some way.  This is different from some end-user apps which periodically do a complete rewrite of the internals but keep the interface sufficiently recognizable so as not to alienate the customer base (ex. MS Office, Tomcat 3 -> 4 -> 5).

OFBiz has a great advantage here because all core funcionality exposes an API which is basically the sum of the services and Entities involved, plus a few other standard config structures (ofbiz-component.xml and controller.xml). Therefore I believe we should structure our compatibility objectives around services and entities.  For instance, if we say that release B is "API backwards compatible" with release A, that means extensions which depended on services and/or entities from release A will still work with B.  Some of these services or entities may have added optional parameters or new nullable columns, just as long as they keep providing the old API.

In contrast, if someone writes their extension to also depend on a certain Util class or simple-method, the releases make no compatibility guarantees here.

For instance I am writing a module now, to do end-of-month VAT reconciliation according to Mozambican regulations.  It uses certain services in the accounting module as building blocks.  If a future release removed or altered the API of those services, I would be stuck.  If a future release added a few extra optional parameters to those services, I would not be forced to alter anything.

2. Release versioning policy and testing
Based on the above discussion and also the contributions made thus far, I would suggest the following approach.
a) We aim at ONE release per year, coming out every June or thereabouts.   I think it is better to have ONE deliverable per year and meet it than two or three which immediately slip.  The Ubuntu project has a larger community, a rich private backer (Mark Shuttleworth), started with a much more established set of release tools and procedures (from Debian), and still slipped Dapper from being 6.04 to 6.06.   Note that only 6.06 is LTS (long term support), and 6.10 is not.

b) The SysPro argument for continuous updates is interesting but rings completely false with the target market I have in mind - small bricks and mortar commercial enterprises.  From my experience both in UK and MZ, these places know their businesses and once they have got ERP support for their core processes, they prefer to get on with business instead of constantly looking for new features.  They prefer to workaround minor feature incompatibilities than risk disruption and instability.

c) So an annual release in the middle of each year gives us this rhythm:
 *At the start of the year, start stabilizing any new or reworked functionality.
 *In May or thereabouts, core commiters insitutue a freeze on big changes and only let in bugfixes
 *In June, make the new branch, test it and commit fixes to the branch.
 *End of June, version the branch and announce it as a release.
 *At this point, commiters let big changes back into the trunk
 *In parallel, the release maintainers do bugfixes ONLY on the release and merge them back into trunk wherever it makes sense.
 *By December, anyone who takes the latest version of the release, should be guaranteed that it is pretty stable.  If they want any features they go for the SVN trunk.

d) Using the definitions here: http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
 *A release from year N should be minor version compatible with the release from year N-1
 *Once the release from year N is out, it should only suffer patch versions

e) Testing.   David makes a good point about the vastness of OFBiz and the difficulty of guaranteeing that a certain version is stable.  I believe that in the long term, the only solution is to build up a suite of regression tests.  Its a lot of work but it is definitely worth it, for the security it gives you when refactoring.

I believe we need to build up two layers of tests:
 *Integration tests: black-box tests which test the APIs of all the services and entities.  I am already using the OFBiz TestContainer framework for this.  I suggested some tweaks to it a few months back but didn't get any feedback at that time.
 *Web Tests: white box tests which exercise/simulate a browser and test core use cases (e.g. create invoice, receive order, etc, etc).  I am already using Watir for this but there are other frameworks.  I would be happy to write up a little tutorial for how to do this on the OFBiz wiki.

3. SVN policy
I believe we SHOULD use branching, because it allows for a stable release in that it receives bugfixes ONLY, which can be backported to the trunk if necessary.  So basically at any one time, the community is supporting 3 streams: the trunk + last release branch + upcoming release branch.

4. Modules
I agree with David that we should NOT try to separate modules.  At most releasing framework and applications as two separate chunks, as David suggests, but I think even that is a secondary priority to having stable supported releases.   There are several reasons for this....
 a) For Commercial ERPs, the "modules" are largely a way of justifying a larger bill to the client.  The boundaries between modules are often gerrymandered so that when you buy modules A and B, you have to buy C as well just because it has one little function that a "normal person" would say logically should be part of C.
 b) OFBiz modules are largely structures to facilitate team development.  They are not fully independent - there is a lot of interdependence at the entity and service level - and this is natural given that the whole point is an Integrated system.  Businesses are borne integrated and often departmentalize as a side-effect of growth.  Later on they spend huge efforts trying to reintegrate once more.
 c) I don't believe the community is big enough to support the additional effort of unpicking, specifying and maintain "clean interfaces" and data-flow consistency between all the modules.  I believe that effort would be better spend stabilizing the APIs at service and entity level as discussed above.
 d) David is right about the Linux packaging systems.  Whether RPM or DEB, they have a laudable ideal but in practice can make a nominally simple job inordinately complex.   So people have to write (very) clever helper tools on top of them (ex Synaptic on top of apt on top of dpkg on top of deb!!)

5. Documentation
I agree with Torsten that we need to lower the cost of entry to OFBiz, but I also agree that we need to ask "lower the cost of entry to what?".

In fact, contrary to what Jacopo suggests, I believe that there IS a set of core functions which I believe there is a huge target market for in much of the world, among people who could never afford SAP.  These functions are fairly consistent - and they don't need to come with "bells on".  And I would imagine its not a coincidence that OpenTAPS has chosen several of them as the focus for its Financials module.

Basic Accounting (Journal Entry with separate Posting, Balance Sheet, Trial Balance, Data export to Excel)
Client Account management (invoices, statements by age, payments, basic customer details)
Supplier management (basic supplier details, invoices, statements by age, payments)

A secondary set of priorities would be:
Integration between Client/Supplier managament and accounting
Payroll management
Stocks mgt (warehouse, orders in and out)
VAT or equivalent

An alternative core set, which OFBiz seems to have been quite a sucess at in terms of actual installations, is an ecommerce store backed by limited stock management.

A manual which had a first section dealing with the above issues, a second section dealing with setting up an ecommerce store, and a third section dealing with tech issues (basic setup, how to make a screen, and entity, a service, use the webtools etc), would be very handy.  My firm at least would buy a copy!!

As for who produces the manuals, I believe that the "centralized, benevolent dictator" approach works better here than a free-for-all Wiki.  I reckon the best way to produce a core manual would be via some kind of commercialized approach - the Pragmatic Programmers  managed to cover their costs and a wee bit more this way.  Spring also has excellent documentation and books available.

From the posts I have seen on this list, there are several core committers who have the knowledge and explanatory ability to produce a decent book, with the support of a technical writer.  What these people don't have is "quality time" to sit down and write the fecker!  And they never will unless you attach an income stream to it.

cameron

> I guess it depends on what the goal of doing a release is. In my mind
> the goal should be to create (over time...) a stable set of artifacts
> that people can build and deploy on if they choose not to go with the
> latest/greatest.
>
> What you're describing is interesting, but how is that any different
> than just using the latest from SVN with a little timing based on
> knowing what is going on added in, and keeping a list somewhere of all
> non-backwards compatible changes and their revision numbers?

Yes, you have described pretty well what I'm suggesting; I'd only add to
these that we should also create the upgrade services (and/or upgrade
instructions) every time we commit a non-backwards compatible change in
svn. As you said, this is not so different from what we are (implicitly)
suggesting to do right now (as a best practice to stay up-to-date with
the trunk) but I think that it would be nice if the community will
officially support it for a few reasons:

1) it's often difficult for users to pick a 'stable' svn snapshot
2) it's often difficult for users to keep track of important changes
between their revision and the trunk
3) since it is not so different from what we are suggesting right now,
it will not add a huge cost maintaining these extra processes/releases

> On that last bit, whatever we do with the releases having an official
> wiki page with all non-backward-compatible changes listed on it with the
> revision number for each would be a good thing to do...

+1

> But, back to the main point: what is the goal of a release in your mind
> (and in the mind of anyone else reading in too)?

I'd like to get the opinions from others too.
Personally I think that releases (or release instructions/plans) should
at least help users to keep their system/data in sync with the main
trunk, minimizing the upgrade costs and simplifying the users' decisions
(i.e. "should I upgrade now?").
Of course it would also be great to have a real 'stable' releases (with
patches for them etc...) as you are suggesting (and I really think we
could implement the two approaches simultaneously since what I've
proposed could be the basis of a real release management) but I'm not
sure the community will really maintain them...

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

David E Jones-2

Cameron,

This is a good message in general, though I'd like to clarify a few
objectives we have already discussed related to this:

1. the first branch is coming up soon, mainly because we wanted to
time it soon after the incubator graduation which has just recently
happened

2. we do not plan to EVER freeze new development in the trunk;
instead for "stable" releases we'll create a branch and probably a
release from it _immediately_ in order to get a community boot-
strapped around it, and then hopefully after a few months of back-
patching bug fixes and fixing bugs unique to the branch it will be
nice and stable and ready for anyone to real lean on in production
(barring errors introduced in customization and configuration of
course... ;) )

3. not only the data model and services should be considered in the
backwards compatibility maintenance; people can (and should) create
derivatives of artifacts up and down the layers of the architecture,
even form and screen definitions and such... Of course, I don't think
we'll ever "guarantee" backward compatibility, we instead plan to
"manage" backward compatibility the best we can and try to help
people with custom stuff depending on code in OFBiz to not get hit to
hard when inevitably change (if anyone wants some that doesn't ever
change, they should take a release branch and NEVER update, or
something along those lines, or hire an omniscient being that will
build something to handle everything they will need in the lifetime
of their business)

-David

On Dec 29, 2006, at 2:41 AM, Cameron Smith wrote:

> [...]
> screen, and entity, a service, use the webtools etc), would be very
> handy.  My firm at least would buy a copy!!
>
> As for who produces the manuals, I believe that the "centralized,
> benevolent dictator" approach works better here than a free-for-all
> Wiki.  I reckon the best way to produce a core manual would be via
> some kind of commercialized approach - the Pragmatic Programmers
> managed to cover their costs and a wee bit more this way.  Spring
> also has excellent documentation and books available.
>
> From the posts I have seen on this list, there are several core
> committers who have the knowledge and explanatory ability to
> produce a decent book, with the support of a technical writer.
> What these people don't have is "quality time" to sit down and
> write the fecker!  And they never will unless you attach an income

Andrew Ballantine

Continual update is fine as long as the update process is:
a) Automatic ( like MS Windows updates)
b) Controllable ( Administrator decides when to implement)
c) Reversable (when the update causes a problem)

In order to do that you need a very strict testing program of all updates,
which I do not believe your community, though enthusiastic, can manage.

You will also come to a point where you want to implement something that
breaks previous compatibility and the only way to do that is to have a new
version. In the history of computing all projects reach a point where new
stuff cannot be implemented under the old rules/methods of the project and a
new version is created which has little compatibility with the last version.
There are various reasons for this, but I won't go into them here for the
sake of brevity.

My own personal experience of downloading from the latest SVN of ofbiz is of
failure to build. Maybe I have been unlucky, but I would prefer there to be
a current release that has all major bugs resolved as a working whole.
Revisions to the major release should be made available as updates to the
current stable release, but also added to a newer revised release that will
become the next stable release.

The updates could also be graded so that administrators of production
systems could gain confidence as to whether the update is safe to install.
Any update must be reversible in order to quickly undo an update which gave
unpredicted results.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Jacopo Cappellato
Andrew,

Andrew Ballantine wrote:
> My own personal experience of downloading from the latest SVN of ofbiz is of
> failure to build. Maybe I have been unlucky, but I would prefer there to be
> a current release that has all major bugs resolved as a working whole.

You have been really unlucky... I update the system mostly every day and
very few times I failed to build the system.

RE: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Andrew Ballantine
I second all of that and would like to add a request that each new release
provides an automated installation procedure on MS Windows and one flavour
of Linux, say Ubuntu 6.06.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine

> I guess it depends on what the goal of doing a release is. In my mind
> the goal should be to create (over time...) a stable set of artifacts
> that people can build and deploy on if they choose not to go with the
> latest/greatest.
>
> What you're describing is interesting, but how is that any different
> than just using the latest from SVN with a little timing based on
> knowing what is going on added in, and keeping a list somewhere of all
> non-backwards compatible changes and their revision numbers?

Yes, you have described pretty well what I'm suggesting; I'd only add to
these that we should also create the upgrade services (and/or upgrade
instructions) every time we commit a non-backwards compatible change in
svn. As you said, this is not so different from what we are (implicitly)
suggesting to do right now (as a best practice to stay up-to-date with
the trunk) but I think that it would be nice if the community will
officially support it for a few reasons:

1) it's often difficult for users to pick a 'stable' svn snapshot
2) it's often difficult for users to keep track of important changes
between their revision and the trunk
3) since it is not so different from what we are suggesting right now,
it will not add a huge cost maintaining these extra processes/releases

> On that last bit, whatever we do with the releases having an official
> wiki page with all non-backward-compatible changes listed on it with the
> revision number for each would be a good thing to do...

+1

> But, back to the main point: what is the goal of a release in your mind
> (and in the mind of anyone else reading in too)?

I'd like to get the opinions from others too.
Personally I think that releases (or release instructions/plans) should
at least help users to keep their system/data in sync with the main
trunk, minimizing the upgrade costs and simplifying the users' decisions
(i.e. "should I upgrade now?").
Of course it would also be great to have a real 'stable' releases (with
patches for them etc...) as you are suggesting (and I really think we
could implement the two approaches simultaneously since what I've
proposed could be the basis of a real release management) but I'm not
sure the community will really maintain them...

14:50

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

I agree with Jacopo,

I have put in place a task that update OFBiz automatically. Actually I have 3 versions of OFBiz :
  std trunk
  for POS - I do most of my modifications there
  with Opentaps modules

I run by hand ant or ant run-install for each of them suiving if they are new data or not. It takes me less than 10' per day (and
during this elapse most of this time I do other tasks)

If someone is interested here is the batch I use on XP for that

@Echo off
d:
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
ECHO ofbiz======================================================================
call svn up
ECHO ofbiz======================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
ECHO ofbiz.pos==================================================================
call svn up
ECHO ofbiz.pos==================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
ECHO opentaps===================================================================
call svn up
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps\hot-deploy\crmsfa
call svn up
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps\hot-deploy\financials
call svn up
ECHO opentaps===================================================================
ECHO                                                                           *
ECHO                                                                           *

:menu
echo a) ant
echo b) install
echo q) quitter
choice /c:abq Quelle option ?
if errorlevel = 3 goto fin
if errorlevel = 2 goto install
if errorlevel = 1 goto ant

:ant
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
call ant
pause ofbiz ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
call ant
pause ofbiz.pos ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
call ant
pause opentaps ok ?
goto fin

:install
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz
call ant run-install
pause ofbiz ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\ofbiz.pos
call ant run-install
pause ofbiz.pos ok ?
cd \WorkspaceNew\opentaps
call ant run-install
pause opentaps ok ?

:fin

Before the choise I have only to search for the token "data" and that's it.
This may be adapted easily even in a .sh I guess.

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> I second all of that and would like to add a request that each new release
> provides an automated installation procedure on MS Windows and one flavour
> of Linux, say Ubuntu 6.06.

As a strategy, that's an excellent idea. Curing world hunger is another, but
executing is another thing.

Where we have a failure as a community right now it the document we have at
http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/GettingAndUsingOFBiz.pdf
which probably is an old version, with incorrect links
(it points to http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error page),
(it points to
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
which needs a little more hand holding, and as well points to
http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error page),
(it points to http://www.sequoiaerp.org/ which hasn't been around in 10 months).

This page is slightly better http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/setup.html
but it sill suffers from non-linear thought process

As soon as the dust settles on getting us out of the "incubator" I am completely
confident we'll have bulletproof installation, startup, and next step guides in
place.

Walter

Walter Vaughan wrote:
"As a strategy, that's an excellent idea. Curing world hunger is another,
but
executing is another thing."

Well, you can choose to make facetious remarks if you must, but I consider
this very important.

If you look back over the user mailing list you will find it littered with
requests for help just getting ofbiz up and running. I would bet that a lot
of them loose interest fairly quickly and we loose a potential
user/contributor. Since no one can evaluate the framework without getting it
working, that makes it very important that new users get a really painless
and easy automated installation process.

About 2 years ago I was evaluating ofbiz and used the Windows install that
was available then. It wasn't completely automated or that easy, but I got
through it. I tried the same thing in Linux, because the final production
system must run on Linux, and got totally bogged down.

I know that the history of Open Source has tended not to provide easy
installation procedures or documentation, but the trend is changing. You
will find that many of the projects that support multiple operating systems
have excellent automated installation procedures. OK it needs a bit of
effort to set up, but once done it should be easy to maintain and keep
working.

I deliberately specified ONLY one Linux distribution, Ubuntu 6.06 LTS, to
simplify the job and chose a distribution with a 5 year support plan.

I have to confess that I have looked at other ERP Open Source projects to
see if I could find one that was easier to use than ofbiz. I am sorry if
this hurts, but it is true. However I keep coming back to ofbiz because of
its excellent architecture and true open source community.

I think it essential that the new user be at least accorded a decent
automated install process to avoid loosing them at the first hurdle. I
primarily want to USE the framework to drive my client's business processes
and then contribute any patches that I feel are needed to improve the
framework. I do not want to spend hours or days fiddling about with all
sorts of things just to get the thing working without producing error
messages all over the place.

We also should remember that newcomers to Open Source are also new to Linux
which only adds to the learning curve. Faced with a huge learning curve
there is a strong tendency to give up and stick with the trash we have grown
to hate e.g. Microsoft.

Is it really so difficult to create two automated install procedure? I would
like to see a single executable download file which will then do everything
that is needed to install a running ofbiz framework. That includes
installing the correct versions of any products needed to support the
installation e.g. Java Ant Postgres etc

I am interested in helping put together such procedures given some help from
your good selves.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

> I second all of that and would like to add a request that each new release
> provides an automated installation procedure on MS Windows and one flavour
> of Linux, say Ubuntu 6.06.

As a strategy, that's an excellent idea. Curing world hunger is another, but
executing is another thing.

Where we have a failure as a community right now it the document we have at
http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/GettingAndUsingOFBiz.pdf
which probably is an old version, with incorrect links
(it points to http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error page),
(it points to
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setup+Guide
which needs a little more hand holding, and as well points to
http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error page),
(it points to http://www.sequoiaerp.org/ which hasn't been around in 10
months).

This page is slightly better
http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/setup.html
but it sill suffers from non-linear thought process

As soon as the dust settles on getting us out of the "incubator" I am
completely
confident we'll have bulletproof installation, startup, and next step guides
in
place.

--
Walter

14:50

RE: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

cjhowe
Perhaps my mind is a bit faded as it's been a long
while since I've done a new installation on a
completely clean box.  Isn't this the install
procedure:

1) Install Java JDK 1.4.2 or 1.5
2) Install Apache Ant
3) Set environment variables for Java and Ant
4) run: ant run-install
5) run: startofbiz.bat or startofbiz.sh for linux

Personally, I would be upset if a piece of software
tried to install a different project (1 or 2) on its
own.  (I'm not even sure if Sun's Java license would
allow such a script) So, on the assumption that
auto-installation of 1 or 2 shouldn't be done by an
Apache Ofbiz installer, the best that an installation
script can do is auto-discover Java JDK and Apache Ant
locations and set the environment variables
(temporarily?) and then go into the ant run-install
procedure?

Additionally, seeing that OOTB Apache OFBiz is setup
with Derby Database, I don't think any
auto-installation would cover installation with
Postgresql.  I also don't think your DBA would like a
software program installing databases on its own and
creating users with permissions (user:ofbiz).  So,
aside from the 5 steps listed above (which by memory
is in an installation document - most likely the one
docs.ofbiz.org) what would you like to see from an
auto-installer? Perhaps a splash screen to hide the
console spit-out?

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

David E Jones-2

First a couple of general thoughts on this:

1. we are still working through the process of establishing policies
and procedures for community supported binary releases, and we
haven't done a binary release in years (but will hopefully get a
branch going soon, and a stable version of that branch in a couple of
months)

2. my guess as to why this doesn't exist already is that Apache OFBiz
is server-side software and such installers are not as common for
this sort of thing (yes, they do of course exist); there are SO SO SO
many configuration options that an automated install would have to be
a huge piece of software, or address a simple case, like a demo/test
install

That said, and to follow up on Chris's reply to this with the install
steps, the installation of OFBiz is super-easy OOTB, especially for a
binary build which would look like this:

1. make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not just JRE) installed
2. download OFBiz binary build, and unzip to a directory
3. go into that directory and run the executable jar file
(ofbiz.jar), or one of the startup scripts

And that's IT, PERIOD. Installing Ant is not necessary because OFBiz
includes the libraries and a script for that. A build from SVN
procedure is almost as easy:

1. make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not just JRE) installed
2. make sure you have an SVN client installed
3. with the SVN client, checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/
ofbiz/trunk in a new directory
4. go into that directory run "ant run-install", or in Linux/Unix "./
ant run-install"
5. still in that directory run the executable jar file (ofbiz.jar),
or one of the startup scripts

If that's too complex for a server side application demo/test
install, I don't know what to say... or how much more we can really
do about it. What else would an automated install do? I guess it
could check the one and only dependency there is: the JDK
installation. That is where most people run into problems. The best
way to avoid that: use a Mac. ;)

Seriously though, this world is quite #$%^ed up and there are so many
different variations in operating systems, versions of Java (OFBiz
does NOT work with gcj and other such things), and so on that I don't
know that we can do a lot in this area. Say we chose a version of
Linux to support: now people have to install THAT version of Linux in
order to easily use OFBiz... hmmm...

Still, if someone wanted to work on this, I certainly wouldn't
complain... ;)

-David

On Jan 2, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> [...]
> messages all over the place.
>
> We also should remember that newcomers to Open Source are also new
> to Linux
> which only adds to the learning curve. Faced with a huge learning
> curve
> there is a strong tendency to give up and stick with the trash we
> have grown
> to hate e.g. Microsoft.
>
> Is it really so difficult to create two automated install
> procedure? I would
> like to see a single executable download file which will then do
> everything
> that is needed to install a running ofbiz framework. That includes
> installing the correct versions of any products needed to support the
> installation e.g. Java Ant Postgres etc
>
> I am interested in helping put together such procedures given some

I see a couple of possible solutions for this:

1. be patient and give us a break
2. get involved and help out

Right now we are in the process of a few major migrations, including
(but not limited to):

1. total refactoring and reorganizing of documentation and moving
from the old site html files to pages on the docs.ofbiz.org
Confluence site

2. migrating from the ASF incubator resources to the ASF top level
project resources

3. we recently moved the old OFBiz server to a new box at Contegix
(this is my guess as to why svn.ofbiz.org no longer goes anywhere
useful; that was a bad idea from the beginning and we will be
changing links going forward instead of trying to keep that going)

-David

On Jan 2, 2007, at 6:30 AM, Walter Vaughan wrote:

> Andrew Ballantine wrote:
>
>> I second all of that and would like to add a request that each new
>> release
>> provides an automated installation procedure on MS Windows and one
>> flavour
>> of Linux, say Ubuntu 6.06.
>
> As a strategy, that's an excellent idea. Curing world hunger is
> another, but executing is another thing.
>
> Where we have a failure as a community right now it the document we
> have at
> http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/GettingAndUsingOFBiz.pdf
> which probably is an old version, with incorrect links
> (it points to http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error page),
> (it points to http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/OFBiz+Technical
> +Production+Setup+Guide which needs a little more hand holding, and
> as well points to http://svn.ofbiz.org/ which tosses a 403 error
> page),
> (it points to http://www.sequoiaerp.org/ which hasn't been around
> in 10 months).
>
> This page is slightly better http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/docs/
> setup.html
> but it sill suffers from non-linear thought process
>
> As soon as the dust settles on getting us out of the "incubator" I
> am completely confident we'll have bulletproof installation,
> startup, and next step guides in place.

> Walter

Re: Community supported releases WAS [Re: Properly edited OFBiz manuals]

Daniel Kunkel
Hi

The steps for an OFBiz demo are pretty straight forward, and works
quite
well most of time.

The main stumbling block I ran into was setting up OFBiz for
production.
Granted, I did it before the Production Setup Guide existed, but it was
a truly onerous task with huge gotcha's since I was trying to run it on
a popular virtual private server, a mistake since it caused unique
challenging errors that no one had ever seen.

However, it seems that all that is in the past, and now we have a number
of great opportunties:

1.) What about creating a "Production Patch" with instructions.

People could just go through that with Search and Replace to customize
it for their needs, run it, and be off.

This system seems like it would be pretty easy to create and keep up to
date.
The one gotcha I've seen here is to make sure the user runs the patch
against a certain release to avoid conflicts during the patch.

2.) Would there be a need for a live CD? It could even be possible to
set
one up a complete running OFBiz system with a database, apache, etc.

3.) A VMware image.  VMware seems to be taking the server world by
storm,
and virtual OFBiz instance might be really popular.

Does this spark any other ideas?

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 12:20 -0700, David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
> > messages all over the place.
> >
> > We also should remember that newcomers to Open Source are also new
> > to Linux
> > which only adds to the learning curve. Faced with a huge learning
> > curve
> > there is a strong tendency to give up and stick with the trash we
> > have grown
> > to hate e.g. Microsoft.
> >
> > Is it really so difficult to create two automated install
> > procedure? I would
> > like to see a single executable download file which will then do
> > everything
> > that is needed to install a running ofbiz framework. That includes
> > installing the correct versions of any products needed to support the
> > installation e.g. Java Ant Postgres etc
> >
> > I am interested in helping put together such procedures given some

Daniel,

These are some good ideas. The live CD thing is actually being done,
if I understand correctly, right now by Anil Patel and his group. It
would be cool to get an image of that hosted somewhere, and would
make sense especially once we have a release branch that is pretty
stable and clean. The VMWare image would be cool too, again
especially once we have a good binary from a stabilized release branch.

Getting things going in production is always tricky, no matter how
you look at it. Unless you keep things super-simple it's going to be
messy, and much of it has to do with stuff totally outside of OFBiz,
and there are so many options for that stuff that I think the only
thing that makes any sense is wiki pages where people describe their
experiences with various infrastructure software.

A production patch might be interesting, but I'm worried about the
redundancy and how well it would "naturally" be maintained... Right
now the production setup guides go through where various things are
located and what to change in each spot. This means looking at
multiple files, but I kind of think that's better than only having to
go to a single file because people will start to get an idea about
how things are organized, and about where related options might be.

BTW: as part of the ongoing doc reorg effort I just moved the old
Setup Guide to docs.ofbiz.org, renaming it the Demo and Test Setup
Guide to clarify the intent. It is under a new page that I'm hoping
will be the landing page for people to start at, and that is here:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/x/rwM

-David

On Jan 2, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Daniel Kunkel wrote:

> [...]
>>> messages all over the place.
>>>
>>> We also should remember that newcomers to Open Source are also new
>>> to Linux
>>> which only adds to the learning curve. Faced with a huge learning
>>> curve
>>> there is a strong tendency to give up and stick with the trash we
>>> have grown
>>> to hate e.g. Microsoft.
>>>
>>> Is it really so difficult to create two automated install
>>> procedure? I would
>>> like to see a single executable download file which will then do
>>> everything
>>> that is needed to install a running ofbiz framework. That includes
>>> installing the correct versions of any products needed to support
>>> the
>>> installation e.g. Java Ant Postgres etc
>>>
>>> I am interested in helping put together such procedures given some

Thanks for the non-destructive response.

your suggestions
1. Excellent idea for the production install

2. Seriously good idea. I would be willing to have a crack at it with some
support from the community.

3. VMware might be slow unless on state of the art hardware.

Although several of you have stated that its really easy to install ofbiz.
It isn't for the uninitiated. My experience of installing Java is fraught
with problems. This is mainly due to the layout of Sun's database. OK if you
install java JDK every other day, but here's a sample of what happens:

Type java into google
choose Download java software (www.java.com/getjava/)
Just spot in time that this for the runtime version
No sign of JDK on this web page, go back to google
try Java technology(java.sun.com)
Still no sign of JDK, is it perhaps JAVA EE 5 SDK?
Still not confident that I am at the right location of the correct version.
If I am downloading afresh is it best to load 1.5 or 1.4, one must be a
better choice than the other.

OK I have already spent 30 mins, slowed down slightly by writing this at the
same time, and I still haven't completed step 1.

Therefore if the writer of "make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not
just JRE) installed" knew the correct location of the download page for the
correct download, quoting it would be most helpful.

Summary lists of what to do are exceedingly frustrating if they are vague
and unclear.

I am new to Java although I have programmed in quite a number of languages
so I have only done this loading of JDK once before and that was 2 years
ago.

I am sorry if you find this message irritating, but it is born out of
frustration to complete what should be a simple task, but is made difficult
because I do not have half the information that I need to do something I am
not familiar with.

Kind regards,

Andrew Ballantine.

14:58

Andrew Ballantine wrote:

> Although several of you have stated that its really easy to install ofbiz.
> It isn't for the uninitiated. My experience of installing Java is fraught
> with problems. This is mainly due to the layout of Sun's database. OK if you
> install java JDK every other day, but here's a sample of what happens:
>
> Type java into google
> choose Download java software (www.java.com/getjava/)
> Just spot in time that this for the runtime version
> No sign of JDK on this web page, go back to google
> try Java technology(java.sun.com)
> Still no sign of JDK, is it perhaps JAVA EE 5 SDK?
> Still not confident that I am at the right location of the correct version.
> If I am downloading afresh is it best to load 1.5 or 1.4, one must be a
> better choice than the other.
>
> OK I have already spent 30 mins, slowed down slightly by writing this at the
> same time, and I still haven't completed step 1.
>
> Therefore if the writer of "make sure you have Sun Java 1.4 or 1.5 (JDK, not
> just JRE) installed" knew the correct location of the download page for the
> correct download, quoting it would be most helpful.
>
> Summary lists of what to do are exceedingly frustrating if they are vague
> and unclear.
>
> I am new to Java although I have programmed in quite a number of languages
> so I have only done this loading of JDK once before and that was 2 years
> ago.
>
> I am sorry if you find this message irritating, but it is born out of
> frustration to complete what should be a simple task, but is made difficult
> because I do not have half the information that I need to do something I am
> not familiar with.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Andrew Ballantine.

Start from:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp

then click on the "Dowload" button near "JDK 5.0 Update 10"