[Proposal] Create separate Permission Service for security checks

[Proposal] Create separate Permission Service for security checks

Chinmay Patidar
Hello Devs,

Recently, I came across the CRUD operation services for ShoppingList and
ShoppingListItem entities. The security related checks are present inline
in these services which violate the best practice of keeping security
implementation different from the business logic.

I would like to propose creating security services for such operations and
to call them as a permission-service from the CRUD operation
services definition. This will also enable users to easily modify the
security checks for their custom implementation. ill then, I would like to
know your thoughts on this idea.

Thanks,
*Chinmay Patidar*

Re: [Proposal] Create separate Permission Service for security checks

Rishi Solanki
Chinmay,

Thank you for the details and service references with your proposal. I have
gone thru the shopping list services and below is my observation;

The inline checks uses the single permission check and return error as per
requirement. And if permission service is not available for certain cases
then developer go for inline permission checks to return error she wants.
In the service definition we have the required-permissions and
permission-service tags. Only the permission-service service will return
custom fail/error messages if user won't have permission.

I see no way to return fail/error custom message from required-permissions
>> check-permission. In addition to your proposal I would like to propose
that, the check-permission tag should also have ability to return errors.
This should work in the same way <type-validate> work with <attribute> in
the service definition.

By doing so we will be able to replace the permission services with service
calls in the service definition. And has permission with check permission.

If community agree and you (or anyone) are willing to work on it, I would
be happy to help.

Big +1 for separating the security and business logic.

Rishi Solanki
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com