Proposal to delete stale java files

taher
Hi Everyone,

I cannot actually believe it but while I was working on a project (I will
announce later) I discovered in the process that the below files cannot
compile!!! They existed for years in the code base without even being able
to compile. They reference non existent libraries or they have faulty code
(e.g. not importing used code)

I propose to delete them immediately from trunk

applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/cybersource/IcsPaymentServices.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealEvents.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealPaymentServiceTest.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/orbital/OrbitalPaymentServices.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/paypal/PayPalServices.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayPaymentServices.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayServiceTest.java
applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/verisign/PayflowPro.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayInputStream.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayOutputStream.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeServices.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Regards,

Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Jacopo Cappellato-5
Hi Taher,

some background: these classes depends on jar files that have an
incompatible license that cannot be distributed with OFBiz; that is why
they are there but they are not built.

Jacopo

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I cannot actually believe it but while I was working on a project (I will
> announce later) I discovered in the process that the below files cannot
> compile!!! They existed for years in the code base without even being able
> to compile. They reference non existent libraries or they have faulty code
> (e.g. not importing used code)
>
> I propose to delete them immediately from trunk
>

> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/cybersource/IcsPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealEvents.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealPaymentServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/orbital/OrbitalPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/paypal/PayPalServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/verisign/PayflowPro.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayInputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayOutputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeServices.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>
> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java
>
> Regards,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

taher
Hi Jacopo,

Does that mean we should keep them? Mind you some of them have incorrect
code (not importing EntityQuery for example). I'm not sure we want to keep
dead code in trunk, unless people are using it?

Regards,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Jacopo Cappellato <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
> >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
> >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> > applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
> >

> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
> >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> >
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
> >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> >
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Pierre Smits
Taher, all,

With respect to the /thirdparty/ideal functionality there already JIRA
issues registered (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-5303, etc).

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> [...]

> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> > > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
> > >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
> > >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> > >
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> > > applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
> > >

> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

I don't know if we should keep them, I don't have a strong opinion but if
we decide to keep them they should be maintained and updated (otherwise
they should go): my comment was simply to add some background.

Jacopo

> [...]

> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> > > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
> > >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
> > >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> > >
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> > > applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
> > >

> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> > >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

This is now mostly history and I agree we should get rid of them if nobody complains. The best place for them would be Attic as we use to do and
mentioned by Pierre for Ideal.

I'd though like to keep the ShipmentScaleApplet.java file (blocked by NPL licence). Because, though I never used it myself, it's an example of how to
handle a Scale with Java.

Jacques

Le 14/06/2016 à 16:42, Jacopo Cappellato a écrit :

> [...]
>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
>>>>

>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
>>>>
>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>>>>

>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>>>>

>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

As the majority of the referenced java files are related to 3rd party
solutions integrations, we should have done the smart thing and that is
provide them as optional Proof of Concept components. In stead we had/have
them as almost hard coded functionalities. Removing these from the code
base in trunk involves more. It means also removing the elements that
access these (directly and indirectly), including screen and form widgets,
templates, services and request and view map uris.

But if we remove them from the code base (to the attic), before long the
knowledge will be lost and the feature set of OFBiz will shrink. Some may
not care about that, but it will - again - make the uphill adoption battle
more difficult.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I cannot actually believe it but while I was working on a project (I will
> announce later) I discovered in the process that the below files cannot
> compile!!! They existed for years in the code base without even being able
> to compile. They reference non existent libraries or they have faulty code
> (e.g. not importing used code)
>
> I propose to delete them immediately from trunk
>

> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/cybersource/IcsPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealEvents.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealPaymentServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/orbital/OrbitalPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/paypal/PayPalServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/verisign/PayflowPro.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayInputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayOutputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeServices.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>
> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java
>
> Regards,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Yes indeed, IIRW we crossed that with Ideal to Attic action and that's why it's still waiting, not as simple as it looks

Jacques

Le 14/06/2016 à 19:01, Pierre Smits a écrit :

> [...]
>>
>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>
>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Hi Jacques Pierre and everyone,

OFBiz suffers from code hoarding. A LOT of that code is badly written, non
functional, or just a bare minimum POC.

Thinking of OFBiz as full of features that would shrink is not very
realistic, here is why:

- If it was broken for years, then nobody is using it and nobody cares
- Deleting things always keeps them in source control for review later
- The whole purpose of refactoring OFBiz is to remove such dead code and
improve the design.
- One of the objectives (at least for me) in refactoring OFBiz is to
redesign OFBiz to be modular with loose coupling between the parts. This
loose coupling allows us to add TONS OF FEATURES that do not obstruct the
functionality of the framework or touch core components.

Look at the files I'm mentioning ... Where do they live? They live in the
heart of the framework and the core applications. This is flat out wrong!
We should never keep code for "reference on how to use" or "it might come
in handy". Even if we do, it should never be in the core framework or core
applications but instead in peripheral modules.

Also keeping non compiling code means confusion for developers. Why is this
file here? Why does it exist? Why is it not compiling? This just puts drag
on the thinking velocity of developers and adds more weight to this already
fat code base.

I know it sucks, but the code base has many parts that suck! We have to
strip down before we build again, it's just a price that we must pay to
keep the project running. You just cannot think in a mess. It's a human
thing!

My 2 cents,

Taher Alkhateeb

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:01 PM, Pierre Smits <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
> >

> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
> >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
> >

> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> > applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> > applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
> >

> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
> >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> >
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
> >

> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> >
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Ron Wheeler

+1
Exactly what the project needs.

Code hoarding is a big issue whenever "old programmers" get together (me
included).
We know that it is actually saved in the SCM but we remember the old
days before SCM when hoarding made sense.

Clear out anything that does not compile or does not get used.
If someone needs it, they will resurrect it, redesign it to make it fit
where it belongs and fix it so it works.

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Ron Wheeler
Poorly documented, non-functioning code is not an attractive feature
that will draw new users.

If there are pieces that are being removed that you think are worth
remembering, write a wiki note (it can be searched by Google)
documenting these partially implemented features that can be recovered
from the SCM if anyone cares in the future.

The attic is a compromise to make hoarders feel comfortable but putting
junk in the attic with no documentation about why things were written,
why they are not finished or currently not used,  is of questionable
value. Non-functioning code that may be written to older standards or,
worse yet, bad programming practices is just dangerous.

Is anyone willing to QC the code placed in the attic?

Ron

--
Ron Wheeler
President
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

The point is the Attic is only documenting things which are removed but still in the repo (in the past)

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBADMIN/OFBiz+Attic

Jacques

Le 14/06/2016 à 19:56, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
> Poorly documented, non-functioning code is not an attractive feature that will draw new users.
>
> If there are pieces that are being removed that you think are worth remembering, write a wiki note (it can be searched by Google) documenting these
> partially implemented features that can be recovered from the SCM if anyone cares in the future.
>
> The attic is a compromise to make hoarders feel comfortable but putting junk in the attic with no documentation about why things were written, why
> they are not finished or currently not used,  is of questionable value. Non-functioning code that may be written to older standards or, worse yet,
> bad programming practices is just dangerous.

Better than throwing the baby with the bathwater, as we say in French (in other words remove without any mentions but in the commit log, good luck to
find anything there). You never know and would be surprised by what can happen sometimes...

> Is anyone willing to QC the code placed in the attic?

This could happen, again who knows and who can say better? We all know we have limited capable resources.

Jacques

> [...]
>>>
>>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>>
>>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

This is an interesting conversation; removing the classes (and the
artifacts that use them) and documenting the removal in our Attic page for
history and future reference seems to me a good compromise for the various
point of views.

Jacopo

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 11:34 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 14/06/2016 à 19:56, Ron Wheeler a écrit :
>
>> Poorly documented, non-functioning code is not an attractive feature that
>> will draw new users.
>>
>> If there are pieces that are being removed that you think are worth
>> remembering, write a wiki note (it can be searched by Google) documenting
>> these partially implemented features that can be recovered from the SCM if
>> anyone cares in the future.
>>
>> The attic is a compromise to make hoarders feel comfortable but putting
>> junk in the attic with no documentation about why things were written, why
>> they are not finished or currently not used,  is of questionable value.
>> Non-functioning code that may be written to older standards or, worse yet,
>> bad programming practices is just dangerous.
>>

> Better than throwing the baby with the bathwater, as we say in French (in
> other words remove without any mentions but in the commit log, good luck to
> find anything there). You never know and would be surprised by what can
> happen sometimes...
>

>> Is anyone willing to QC the code placed in the attic?
>>

> This could happen, again who knows and who can say better? We all know we
> have limited capable resources.
>
> Jacques
>

>> Ron
>>

>> On 14/06/2016 1:01 PM, Pierre Smits wrote:
>>
>>> As the majority of the referenced java files are related to 3rd party
>>> solutions integrations, we should have done the smart thing and that is
>>> provide them as optional Proof of Concept components. In stead we
>>> had/have
>>> them as almost hard coded functionalities. Removing these from the code
>>> base in trunk involves more. It means also removing the elements that
>>> access these (directly and indirectly), including screen and form
>>> widgets,
>>> templates, services and request and view map uris.
>>>
>>> But if we remove them from the code base (to the attic), before long the
>>> knowledge will be lost and the feature set of OFBiz will shrink. Some may
>>> not care about that, but it will - again - make the uphill adoption
>>> battle
>>> more difficult.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Pierre Smits
>>>
>>> ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
>>> OFBiz based solutions & services
>>>
>>> OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
>>> http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/
>>>
>>> On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <
>>> [hidden email]

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Divesh Dutta-2
Hi Taher,

I am not sure about other Java files if they are heavily used or not,
but PayPalServices.java
and PayflowPro.java are the two files which I think lots of people use. So,
I will recommend keeping them. If needed we can talk on problems in this
file, and fix them.

Divesh Dutta.

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I cannot actually believe it but while I was working on a project (I will
> announce later) I discovered in the process that the below files cannot
> compile!!! They existed for years in the code base without even being able
> to compile. They reference non existent libraries or they have faulty code
> (e.g. not importing used code)
>
> I propose to delete them immediately from trunk
>

> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/cybersource/IcsPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealEvents.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealPaymentServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/orbital/OrbitalPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/paypal/PayPalServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/verisign/PayflowPro.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayInputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayOutputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeServices.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>
> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java
>
> Regards,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Ashish Vijaywargiya-4
I would prefer to keep Tax and Third Party Payment gateway files(The files
that does exists inside cybersource, ideal, orbital, paypal, securepay,
verisign etc). If you see some problems in those code base, like code base
is not updated based on latest changes then we can update those files.
Those files might have been used by so many users that we can't know
because we are doing this conversation on Dev mailing list. We should not
remove those files.

--
Kind Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM, Taher Alkhateeb <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I cannot actually believe it but while I was working on a project (I will
> announce later) I discovered in the process that the below files cannot
> compile!!! They existed for years in the code base without even being able
> to compile. They reference non existent libraries or they have faulty code
> (e.g. not importing used code)
>
> I propose to delete them immediately from trunk
>

> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/cybersource/IcsPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealEvents.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/ideal/IdealPaymentServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/orbital/OrbitalPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/paypal/PayPalServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayPaymentServices.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/securepay/SecurePayServiceTest.java
>
> applications/accounting/src/org/ofbiz/accounting/thirdparty/verisign/PayflowPro.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayInputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeByteArrayOutputStream.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeServices.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/openoffice/OpenOfficeWorker.java
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JREntityListIteratorDataSource.java
>
> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>
> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java
>
> Regards,
>
> Taher Alkhateeb

Re: Proposal to delete stale java files

Mridul Pathak-4
Yes, accounting/thirdparty has all the third party payment integrations supported by OFBiz. And, order/thridparty seems to have third party tax integration. We should not be deleting these files. I think we should refactor these third party integration files, and move these integrations to specialpurpose rather than keeping them with main applications. A bit off topic but shipping integrations reside with main application code as well, so that again is a candidate to be moved to specialpurpose. Any of such third party application integrations should be maintained separately.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Mridul Pathak

> [...]
>>
>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>
>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Sharan-F
Hi Everyone

If we don't compromise on this then we are going to make the
re-factoring effort that Taher is driving even harder. If we want to
clean the code base (and I really think we do) then we need to take the
some hard decisions. I'm sure that this won't be the last discussion
over code removal so let's start getting used to it.

The framework*must *have none of these dependencies (reverse or
otherwise) so if we want to improve the quality of our code then the
truth is - it really needs to go. In fact, for me these type of
integrations fall into the addons category so that is what I think we
should be looking at. If we need it then someone please re-write it as
an OFBiz addon.

We are going to totally transform our current trunk and when we are
finished it will be totally different to what it is today.  In the
meantime – please remember that we currently have 2 un-released OFBiz
versions 14.12 and 15.12 where the code we are talking about will remain
as it is. This will give us time to complete our transformation work and
also time for our user base time to adjust to what will come.

Thanks
Sharan

On 15/06/16 09:01, Mridul Pathak wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>>
>>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

That's indeed the way it should be done, waiting for a way to have real addons support in OFBiz. Then OFBiz will be able to compete with its open
source concurrents, notably and mostly Oddo when we speak about addons.

Jacques

Le 15/06/2016 à 09:01, Mridul Pathak a écrit :

> [...]
>>>
>>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>>
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>>
>>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>>
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Hans Bakker
+1

On 15/06/16 13:30, Ashish Vijaywargiya wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> applications/content/src/org/ofbiz/content/report/JRMapCollectionDataSource.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareException.java
>>
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareServices.java
>> applications/order/src/org/ofbiz/order/thirdparty/taxware/TaxwareUTL.java
>> applications/product/src/ShipmentScaleApplet.java
>>
>> applications/securityext/src/org/ofbiz/securityext/thirdparty/truition/TruitionCoReg.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsJXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPdfViewHandler.java
>>
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsPoiXlsViewHandler.java
>> framework/webapp/src/org/ofbiz/webapp/view/JasperReportsXmlViewHandler.java

Hans Bakker
CEO, http://antwebsystems.com
123