Questions about shopping lists

Jacopo Cappellato
What is the best way to model a shopping list that is public, i.e it is
available to all the users (not just the one that created it)?
I've noticed that the ShoppingList.isPublic flag is not used in any
process. We could use this flag, but I don't think that we should allow
an ecommerce user to set the flag to Y (the list will then appear in the
drop down boxes for all the users): it should really be done by a manager.

What is the best way to model a shopping list that is available only to
a limited set of users?
I could use a special type for the ShoppingList and add custom code to
show the lists of that type only to qualified users but, again, I don't
like the idea of letting the ecommerce users select the type of the
shopping list: we should at least define a way to separate the publicly
available types from the backend only ones (adding a flag to the
ShoppingListType? or using a parent type to grop them together?)

I'd love to get your feedback on this because I'd like to provide some
enhancements (if needed) soon.

Re: Questions about shopping lists

Jacopo Cappellato
These are the mods I'd like to commit:

a) ecommerce>wishlists (dropdowns): display all the shopping lists
created by the logged in user + the shopping lists with isPublic=Y

b) ecommerce>wishlists (edit screen): hide the isPublic flag and always
set it to N (i.e. ecommerce users cannot create public lists)

c) (not completely sure about this): add the field
ShoppingListType.parentShoppingListTypeId (hmmm... we need a shorter
name here... any ideas?) and add seed data for new shopping list type:
I'd leke to create two parent types "PUBLIC_LIST" and "INTERNAL_LIST"
and then associate to the former the list types available to ecommerce
users (when they create a shopping list) and to the latter the ones that
are only available when the lists are created in the backend (e.g.
"Special Purpose").

What do you think?

Jacopo

De : "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>
> These are the mods I'd like to commit:
>
> a) ecommerce>wishlists (dropdowns): display all the shopping lists
> created by the logged in user + the shopping lists with isPublic=Y
+1 définitively

> b) ecommerce>wishlists (edit screen): hide the isPublic flag and always
> set it to N (i.e. ecommerce users cannot create public lists)
0, I dream about Amazon wishlists feature...

> c) (not completely sure about this): add the field
> ShoppingListType.parentShoppingListTypeId (hmmm... we need a shorter
> name here... any ideas?)
ShopListTyp.parentShopListTypId ?

> and add seed data for new shopping list type:
> I'd leke to create two parent types "PUBLIC_LIST" and "INTERNAL_LIST"
> and then associate to the former the list types available to ecommerce
> users (when they create a shopping list) and to the latter the ones that
> are only available when the lists are created in the backend (e.g.
> "Special Purpose").
>
> What do you think?

Great ideas I just wonder where you find the time to do/think-about all that ;o)

Jacques

> Jacopo
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
> > What is the best way to model a shopping list that is public, i.e it is
> > available to all the users (not just the one that created it)?
> > I've noticed that the ShoppingList.isPublic flag is not used in any
> > process. We could use this flag, but I don't think that we should allow
> > an ecommerce user to set the flag to Y (the list will then appear in the
> > drop down boxes for all the users): it should really be done by a manager.
> >
> > What is the best way to model a shopping list that is available only to
> > a limited set of users?
> > I could use a special type for the ShoppingList and add custom code to
> > show the lists of that type only to qualified users but, again, I don't
> > like the idea of letting the ecommerce users select the type of the
> > shopping list: we should at least define a way to separate the publicly
> > available types from the backend only ones (adding a flag to the
> > ShoppingListType? or using a parent type to group them together?)
> >
> > I'd love to get your feedback on this because I'd like to provide some
> > enhancements (if needed) soon.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jacopo

Re: Questions about shopping lists

David E Jones

The original intent of the isPublic flag was so a customer could
specify whether or not other customers can look at that shopping list.
For example a wedding registry or wish list or whatever kind of
shopping list that a user might want another user to see.

The trick is there could be many thousands of these at any given time.
The usual pattern for this is an ID is passed from the list owner to
another user, or you could look up all public lists for a given user,
or you could have something like on newegg.com (if I remember right)
where they have a history of public lists for computer configurations
and such that people want to share with the whole world.

Given that there could be so many unless we want to really repurpose
the intent of this flag having all of them show in all drop-downs
could be a big problem...

-David

On Nov 26, 2007, at 4:47 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> These are the mods I'd like to commit:
>
> a) ecommerce>wishlists (dropdowns): display all the shopping lists
> created by the logged in user + the shopping lists with isPublic=Y
>
> b) ecommerce>wishlists (edit screen): hide the isPublic flag and
> always set it to N (i.e. ecommerce users cannot create public lists)
>
> c) (not completely sure about this): add the field
> ShoppingListType.parentShoppingListTypeId (hmmm... we need a shorter
> name here... any ideas?) and add seed data for new shopping list
> type: I'd leke to create two parent types "PUBLIC_LIST" and
> "INTERNAL_LIST" and then associate to the former the list types
> available to ecommerce users (when they create a shopping list) and
> to the latter the ones that are only available when the lists are
> created in the backend (e.g. "Special Purpose").
>
> What do you think?
>
> Jacopo
>

> Jacopo Cappellato wrote:
>> What is the best way to model a shopping list that is public, i.e
>> it is available to all the users (not just the one that created it)?
>> I've noticed that the ShoppingList.isPublic flag is not used in any
>> process. We could use this flag, but I don't think that we should
>> allow an ecommerce user to set the flag to Y (the list will then
>> appear in the drop down boxes for all the users): it should really
>> be done by a manager.
>> What is the best way to model a shopping list that is available
>> only to a limited set of users?
>> I could use a special type for the ShoppingList and add custom code
>> to show the lists of that type only to qualified users but, again,
>> I don't like the idea of letting the ecommerce users select the
>> type of the shopping list: we should at least define a way to
>> separate the publicly available types from the backend only ones
>> (adding a flag to the ShoppingListType? or using a parent type to
>> group them together?)
>> I'd love to get your feedback on this because I'd like to provide
>> some enhancements (if needed) soon.
>> Thanks,
>> Jacopo

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment