Questions on content, surveys and locale

Questions on content, surveys and locale

byersa
I have never had to pay much attention to localization and how it applies to
content management. I guess my main question is what is the proper method of
integrating content of multiple locales in an application.

1. Is it just left to the developer to link all possible contents to a
single publish point and determine which content matches?
If so, does it make sense to use the ContentAssoc entity?
And if so, should not "localeString" be be part of ContentAssoc?

2. Are there any ofbiz or java utilities that will select the closest match
from a set of available locales?

3. I see no features in the Survey entities to deal with localization? Is
that so?
If so, would it be best to modify (or add parallel entities) it to use the
content management system?
Using a new entity, SurveyQuestionContentAssoc, that would include
"localeString" as one of the fields
(along with surveyQuestionId, contentId, fromDate, thruDate and
localeString)?

I think that surveys need the ability to present images, videos, etc. as
part of the question and options (at least images).

-Al

Re: Questions on content, surveys and locale

David E Jones

On Oct 6, 2007, at 2:50 PM, Al Byers wrote:

> I have never had to pay much attention to localization and how it
> applies to
> content management. I guess my main question is what is the proper
> method of
> integrating content of multiple locales in an application.
>
> 1. Is it just left to the developer to link all possible contents to a
> single publish point and determine which content matches?
> If so, does it make sense to use the ContentAssoc entity?
> And if so, should not "localeString" be be part of ContentAssoc?
There is a locale on each Content record, or at least a place for
one. That should be used along with ContextAssoc records of type
alternate locale to tie these alternate locale records to he main
content record, which will be the one with the default locale. That
way when you want to reuse all of that content you just associate the
main content (default locale) record wherever you need/want it all.

> 2. Are there any ofbiz or java utilities that will select the
> closest match
> from a set of available locales?

I believe there is already some locale fallback code in the content
rendering methods. It's a very simple algorithm, but the same thing
the Java ResourceBundle and such do.