Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects

davidnwelton
On 2/23/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

> BTW, I don't know if we'll be moving the specialized applications
> over in the first pass moving to the ASF. What I'm actually hoping
> for is that OFBiz will become a top-level project, and then we can
> have sub-projects for specialized and other similar things.

If I might make a suggestion: perhaps it would be easiest / less
disruptive to users, is to move everything as-is, and then, if the
subprojects gain momentum on their own, break them out into
subprojects.  I don't know much about how they've been developed so
far, though.  And of course, it also depends on what the developers of
that code would prefer.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects

cjhowe
sourceforge.net just completed their svn beta and are
now offering svn repository for projects that they
host.  Would it be better for specialized/incomplete
applications to create their own project there until
they reach a level of maturity that the Ofbiz project
desires?  At that point, the OFBiz team could ask that
it be merged into the Apache OFBiz project.

On a side note, is it possible to have svn set up so
that it checks out and writes to multiple
repositories?

--- David Welton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/23/06, David E. Jones <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > BTW, I don't know if we'll be moving the
> specialized applications
> > over in the first pass moving to the ASF. What I'm
> actually hoping
> > for is that OFBiz will become a top-level project,
> and then we can
> > have sub-projects for specialized and other
> similar things.
>
> If I might make a suggestion: perhaps it would be
> easiest / less
> disruptive to users, is to move everything as-is,
> and then, if the
> subprojects gain momentum on their own, break them
> out into
> subprojects.  I don't know much about how they've
> been developed so
> far, though.  And of course, it also depends on what
> the developers of
> that code would prefer.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects

davidnwelton
On 2/26/06, Chris Howe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> sourceforge.net just completed their svn beta and are
> now offering svn repository for projects that they
> host.  Would it be better for specialized/incomplete
> applications to create their own project there until
> they reach a level of maturity that the Ofbiz project
> desires?  At that point, the OFBiz team could ask that
> it be merged into the Apache OFBiz project.

If they went that route, and wanted to aim for re-integration, they'd
have to make sure that they keep a tight rein on licensing.  It's
likely they'd have to do iCLA's for new people they'd picked up.  To
become a subproject they'd also likely have to go through the whole
incubation thing, although it would be simpler at that point because
(if all goes well:-) OFBiz will be an established part of the ASF at
that time.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Dev - [OFBiz] subprojects

cjhowe
Would iCLAs be necessary if the subproject hosted on
sf.net used the Apache 2.0 license?

--- David Welton <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/26/06, Chris Howe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > sourceforge.net just completed their svn beta and
> are
> > now offering svn repository for projects that they
> > host.  Would it be better for
> specialized/incomplete
> > applications to create their own project there
> until
> > they reach a level of maturity that the Ofbiz
> project
> > desires?  At that point, the OFBiz team could ask
> that
> > it be merged into the Apache OFBiz project.
>
> If they went that route, and wanted to aim for
> re-integration, they'd
> have to make sure that they keep a tight rein on
> licensing.  It's
> likely they'd have to do iCLA's for new people
> they'd picked up.  To
> become a subproject they'd also likely have to go
> through the whole
> incubation thing, although it would be simpler at
> that point because
> (if all goes well:-) OFBiz will be an established
> part of the ASF at
> that time.
>
> --
> David N. Welton
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
> Linux, Open Source Consulting
>  - http://www.dedasys.com/

Dev - Suggestion of Static fields in all Classes and Class loader

BJ Freeman
I have added the following static parms to each class I work on.

String major_version
String minor_version
String sinceofbizversion
String maxofbizversion

By modifying the Base java files that load classes it would check the
sinceofbizversion maxofbizversion to make sure the classes fit the
current ofbiz version.

This would force all classes to be checked before the maxofbizversion is
increased.

I have a Class the I can run that walks through all modules and prints
out the above information to the log as info.