Re: OFBiz UI work

Adrian Crum
Wow. This subject sure took off from my original dilemma.

Actually, there's an element of truth to what Chris said. At first glance the
policy seems mean-spirited. But as was mentioned in another reply, it's a good
way to train the submitters.

Personally, I have a pretty thick skin, so what David proposed doesn't offend me
or discourage me. Instead, it motivates me to take a closer look at what my IDE
and SVN client are doing to cause these unintentional formatting changes.

I truly appreciate the time David took to address my problem. Without his
detailed description of the problems with my patches, I wouldn't know what was
wrong with them.

David E. Jones wrote:

> I'm not sure what to say, perhaps what I originally said would be  helpful:
>
> "People tend to slip things into patches accidentally all the time.  I'm
> tempted to begun the voting process for a new policy that says  that if
> there is anything in the patch file not described in the  summary of the
> patch, then it will be rejected..."
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 15, 2007, at 10:44 PM, Chris Howe wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I don't know why that quote didn't hit me right
>> the first time.  My apologies to W.C. Fields. “Go
>> away, kid, you bother me”. I really butchered it. I
>> mean _really :-)
>>
>> So, if that's not the policy and procedure you're
>> looking to adopt, please elaborate on what you're
>> tempted to propose.
>>

>> --- "David E. Jones" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>> You have quite an imagination.
>>>
>>> -David

>>> you

>>> review

>>> superflous

>>> JIRA

>>> less

>>> problems

>>> now)

>>> could

>>> it

>>> here.

>>> the

>>> an

>>> in

>>> will

>>> Improov

>>> easy

>>> INCLUDE

>>> keep

>>> changes

>>> Python

>>> willing

>>> cannot

>> === message truncated ===

Re: OFBiz UI work

Andrew Sykes
Adrian,

Too true, I suspect if David was paid standard rate for all the time
he's spent explaining what's wrong with patches he'd probably have
retired by now!

Being thick skinned is all part of working with a disparate group of
people on a very generic project. So perhaps a rejection policy also
helps people to understand the type of mindset required for success!

- Andrew

--
Kind Regards
Andrew Sykes <[hidden email]>
http://www.sykesdevelopment.com

Re: OFBiz UI work

David E Jones

On Jan 16, 2007, at 5:11 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:

> BTW, I did my homework and faxed a signed iCLA to The Apache
> Foundation.

Not that it's a problem in any way, but why was it that you sent in
an iCLA?

Unless you are becoming a committer at the ASF or had contributed pre-
ASF code to OFBiz (which has already been thoroughly reviewed and
taken care of, as of a few months ago).

Re: OFBiz UI work

Guido Amarilla
OK

2007/1/16, David E. Jones <[hidden email]>:

> On Jan 16, 2007, at 5:11 AM, Guido Amarilla wrote:
>
> > BTW, I did my homework and faxed a signed iCLA to The Apache
> > Foundation.
>
> Not that it's a problem in any way, but why was it that you sent in
> an iCLA?
>
> Unless you are becoming a committer at the ASF or had contributed pre-
> ASF code to OFBiz (which has already been thoroughly reviewed and
> taken care of, as of a few months ago).

Guido Amarilla

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
After spending some time examining the unintentional formatting changes in my
patch files, I discovered that my editor automatically strips off unnecessary
white space at the end of every line. I can't find a way to shut it off, so I'll
have to switch to another IDE.

At first I was upset that my editor would do such a thing without my permission.
Then I got to thinking that it makes a lot of sense. Less unnecessary white
space equals less fluff the compiler has to trudge through and less fluff in
HTML code.

Hey! Wait a second... many of those files that were unintentionally formatted
were FTL files. Does that mean that OFBiz servers are spewing out unnecessary
fluff? I viewed the page source on a typical OFBiz web page and sure enough -
OFBiz's markup has unnecessary white space at the end of the lines.

Going through all of the FTL files and cleaning them up would be easy to do with
  a script or something, but the reduction in HTML output would be small. Where
I see a huge amount of unnecessary markup is with indentation. Our four
character indentation rule results in things like a simple </div> tag being
preceded by twelve to sixteen space characters. Our servers are working very
hard to output nicely indented markup.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

jonwimp
Adrian,

I don't understand what you mean by "OFBiz servers are spewing out unnecessary stuff". Those FTLs
with unnecessary whitespaces are probably coded that way (by mistake or otherwise), not generated
and spewed by some servers.

As for indentation, I recall the "best practices" page for contributors stating that all tabs
should be converted to spaces. That's quite the norm in many, if not all, projects. You mean you
found tabs in FTL sources?

In any case, all these don't affect me. Use Emacs! I don't remove or change any whitespaces, not
even change tabs to spaces.

Far as I'm concerned, I will continue to submit patches that have "intended changes only". I'm
kinda obsessive compulsively clean and organized. I'd rather have say the original authors clean
up the extra whitespaces, and check in with log saying "cleaned up whitespaces". My check in log
will only be "fixed this bug", not "fixed this bug, plus cleaned up whitespaces".

But yeah, your editor isn't wrong to clean up those whitespaces. No wait. It's wrong. Or at least
it's wrong not to allow you to configure that behavior.

Jonathon

Jonathon -- Improov wrote:
> Adrian,
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "OFBiz servers are spewing out
> unnecessary stuff". Those FTLs with unnecessary whitespaces are probably
> coded that way (by mistake or otherwise), not generated and spewed by
> some servers.

The point I was making is that any unnecessary white space in FTL files
translates into unnecessary white space being served to web clients.

I was merely sharing an observation. I'm not suggesting that we change the best
practices.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives in the Party
Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup would be. Results:

Before compress - 45k
After compress - 35k
33% less markup.

The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the FTL
whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> After spending some time examining the unintentional formatting changes
> in my patch files, I discovered that my editor automatically strips off
> unnecessary white space at the end of every line. I can't find a way to
> shut it off, so I'll have to switch to another IDE.
>
> At first I was upset that my editor would do such a thing without my
> permission. Then I got to thinking that it makes a lot of sense. Less
> unnecessary white space equals less fluff the compiler has to trudge
> through and less fluff in HTML code.
>
> Hey! Wait a second... many of those files that were unintentionally
> formatted were FTL files. Does that mean that OFBiz servers are spewing
> out unnecessary fluff? I viewed the page source on a typical OFBiz web
> page and sure enough - OFBiz's markup has unnecessary white space at the
> end of the lines.
>
> Going through all of the FTL files and cleaning them up would be easy to
> do with  a script or something, but the reduction in HTML output would
> be small. Where I see a huge amount of unnecessary markup is with
> indentation. Our four character indentation rule results in things like
> a simple </div> tag being preceded by twelve to sixteen space
> characters. Our servers are working very hard to output nicely indented
> markup.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

David E Jones

The best way I've seen to handle this sort of thing is to take
advantage of the fact that pretty much all browsers support zipped
pages. I haven't set this sort of thing up in a LONG time, but there
are probably ways to do it with Tomcat, and definitely ways to do it
with the Apache web server (httpd).

-David

On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives
> in the Party Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup
> would be. Results:
>
> Before compress - 45k
> After compress - 35k
> 33% less markup.
>
> The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the
> FTL whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.
>

> Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> After spending some time examining the unintentional formatting
>> changes in my patch files, I discovered that my editor
>> automatically strips off unnecessary white space at the end of
>> every line. I can't find a way to shut it off, so I'll have to
>> switch to another IDE.
>> At first I was upset that my editor would do such a thing without
>> my permission. Then I got to thinking that it makes a lot of
>> sense. Less unnecessary white space equals less fluff the compiler
>> has to trudge through and less fluff in HTML code.
>> Hey! Wait a second... many of those files that were
>> unintentionally formatted were FTL files. Does that mean that
>> OFBiz servers are spewing out unnecessary fluff? I viewed the page
>> source on a typical OFBiz web page and sure enough - OFBiz's
>> markup has unnecessary white space at the end of the lines.
>> Going through all of the FTL files and cleaning them up would be
>> easy to do with  a script or something, but the reduction in HTML
>> output would be small. Where I see a huge amount of unnecessary
>> markup is with indentation. Our four character indentation rule
>> results in things like a simple </div> tag being preceded by
>> twelve to sixteen space characters. Our servers are working very
>> hard to output nicely indented markup.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
As I mentioned in another email, I was just making an observation. It's food for
thought.

The zipped pages browser setting doesn't address the fundamental issue I
presented: OFBiz servers are pushing out a lot of unnecessary markup.

It would be interesting to try out an OFBiz installation where
Freemarker/Tomcat/whatever is set up to compress ALL markup, then see how much
more responsive the web site is.

David E. Jones wrote:

> The best way I've seen to handle this sort of thing is to take
> advantage of the fact that pretty much all browsers support zipped
> pages. I haven't set this sort of thing up in a LONG time, but there
> are probably ways to do it with Tomcat, and definitely ways to do it
> with the Apache web server (httpd).
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives  in
>> the Party Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup  would
>> be. Results:
>>
>> Before compress - 45k
>> After compress - 35k
>> 33% less markup.
>>
>> The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the
>> FTL whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> After spending some time examining the unintentional formatting
>>> changes in my patch files, I discovered that my editor  automatically
>>> strips off unnecessary white space at the end of  every line. I can't
>>> find a way to shut it off, so I'll have to  switch to another IDE.
>>> At first I was upset that my editor would do such a thing without  my
>>> permission. Then I got to thinking that it makes a lot of  sense.
>>> Less unnecessary white space equals less fluff the compiler  has to
>>> trudge through and less fluff in HTML code.
>>> Hey! Wait a second... many of those files that were  unintentionally
>>> formatted were FTL files. Does that mean that  OFBiz servers are
>>> spewing out unnecessary fluff? I viewed the page  source on a typical
>>> OFBiz web page and sure enough - OFBiz's  markup has unnecessary
>>> white space at the end of the lines.
>>> Going through all of the FTL files and cleaning them up would be
>>> easy to do with  a script or something, but the reduction in HTML
>>> output would be small. Where I see a huge amount of unnecessary
>>> markup is with indentation. Our four character indentation rule
>>> results in things like a simple </div> tag being preceded by  twelve
>>> to sixteen space characters. Our servers are working very  hard to
>>> output nicely indented markup.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
Oh wait. I misread what you said. You're suggesting zipped pages sent out from
the server that the browser can unzip. Gotcha. Great idea. Thanks.

Adrian Crum wrote:

> As I mentioned in another email, I was just making an observation. It's
> food for thought.
>
> The zipped pages browser setting doesn't address the fundamental issue I
> presented: OFBiz servers are pushing out a lot of unnecessary markup.
>
> It would be interesting to try out an OFBiz installation where
> Freemarker/Tomcat/whatever is set up to compress ALL markup, then see
> how much more responsive the web site is.
>

> David E. Jones wrote:
>

>> The best way I've seen to handle this sort of thing is to take
>> advantage of the fact that pretty much all browsers support zipped
>> pages. I haven't set this sort of thing up in a LONG time, but there
>> are probably ways to do it with Tomcat, and definitely ways to do it
>> with the Apache web server (httpd).
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives
>>> in the Party Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup
>>> would be. Results:
>>>
>>> Before compress - 45k
>>> After compress - 35k
>>> 33% less markup.
>>>
>>> The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the
>>> FTL whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

jonwimp
Adrian,

 > The zipped pages browser setting doesn't address the fundamental issue I
 > presented: OFBiz servers are pushing out a lot of unnecessary markup.

I'd guess there won't be too much unnecessary "whitespaces" (is this what you mean by unnecessary
markup?). But I don't know. Someone could be crazy and code tons of unnecessary whitespaces into
an FTL.

 > It would be interesting to try out an OFBiz installation where
 > Freemarker/Tomcat/whatever is set up to compress ALL markup, then see
 > how much more responsive the web site is.

Not by much if server-side processing is hefty. Savings from reduced time of transfer (of web
content) is amortized in that case.

But in general, if you can, use compression. Or actually, for maximum compatibility with all
browsers, maybe we shouldn't (we never know).

Jonathon

Adrian Crum wrote:

> As I mentioned in another email, I was just making an observation. It's
> food for thought.
>
> The zipped pages browser setting doesn't address the fundamental issue I
> presented: OFBiz servers are pushing out a lot of unnecessary markup.
>
> It would be interesting to try out an OFBiz installation where
> Freemarker/Tomcat/whatever is set up to compress ALL markup, then see
> how much more responsive the web site is.
>

> David E. Jones wrote:
>>
>> The best way I've seen to handle this sort of thing is to take
>> advantage of the fact that pretty much all browsers support zipped
>> pages. I haven't set this sort of thing up in a LONG time, but there
>> are probably ways to do it with Tomcat, and definitely ways to do it
>> with the Apache web server (httpd).
>>
>> -David
>>

>> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives
>>> in the Party Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup
>>> would be. Results:
>>>
>>> Before compress - 45k
>>> After compress - 35k
>>> 33% less markup.
>>>
>>> The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the
>>> FTL whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
I found on the Tomcat website a configuration setting for compressing outgoing
html/xml (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/http.html) but I don't
where to configure it in the embedded version that OFBiz uses.

David E. Jones wrote:

> The best way I've seen to handle this sort of thing is to take
> advantage of the fact that pretty much all browsers support zipped
> pages. I haven't set this sort of thing up in a LONG time, but there
> are probably ways to do it with Tomcat, and definitely ways to do it
> with the Apache web server (httpd).
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 18, 2007, at 1:40 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Just for grins, I inserted <#compress> </#compress> FTL directives  in
>> the Party Manager FTL files to see how much smaller the markup  would
>> be. Results:
>>
>> Before compress - 45k
>> After compress - 35k
>> 33% less markup.
>>
>> The drawback is, some of the layout seems to depend on some of the
>> FTL whitespace, so the page's appearance changed a little.
>>

>> Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> After spending some time examining the unintentional formatting
>>> changes in my patch files, I discovered that my editor  automatically
>>> strips off unnecessary white space at the end of  every line. I can't
>>> find a way to shut it off, so I'll have to  switch to another IDE.
>>> At first I was upset that my editor would do such a thing without  my
>>> permission. Then I got to thinking that it makes a lot of  sense.
>>> Less unnecessary white space equals less fluff the compiler  has to
>>> trudge through and less fluff in HTML code.
>>> Hey! Wait a second... many of those files that were  unintentionally
>>> formatted were FTL files. Does that mean that  OFBiz servers are
>>> spewing out unnecessary fluff? I viewed the page  source on a typical
>>> OFBiz web page and sure enough - OFBiz's  markup has unnecessary
>>> white space at the end of the lines.
>>> Going through all of the FTL files and cleaning them up would be
>>> easy to do with  a script or something, but the reduction in HTML
>>> output would be small. Where I see a huge amount of unnecessary
>>> markup is with indentation. Our four character indentation rule
>>> results in things like a simple </div> tag being preceded by  twelve
>>> to sixteen space characters. Our servers are working very  hard to
>>> output nicely indented markup.

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Joe Eckard

On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I found on the Tomcat website a configuration setting for
> compressing outgoing html/xml (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-
> doc/config/http.html) but I don't where to configure it in the
> embedded version that OFBiz uses.

It's under http-connector (already set in the default config):

<property name="compressableMimeType" value="text/html,text/xml,text/
plain"/>
<property name="compression" value="on"/>

-Joe

Re: OFBiz UI work, Plus New Revelations

Adrian Crum
Thanks Joe!

Joe Eckard wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 4:43 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I found on the Tomcat website a configuration setting for  compressing
>> outgoing html/xml (http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-
>> doc/config/http.html) but I don't where to configure it in the
>> embedded version that OFBiz uses.
>

> It's under http-connector (already set in the default config):
>
> <property name="compressableMimeType" value="text/html,text/xml,text/
> plain"/>
> <property name="compression" value="on"/>
>
> -Joe
12