Re: [OFBiz] Users - the industrial costs

Re: [OFBiz] Users - the industrial costs

David E. Jones

Mario,

In general it's probably best to associate cost information directly
to the resource, ie to the FixedAsset or the Party. Done that way it
wouldn't matter how the FixedAsset or Party is attached to the
WorkEffort.

That would be a natural cost or cost to the company. The amount
charged to a client or customer is another issue altogether and
should probably be represented by a product that is sold to the
customer. That product could be a manufactured or assembled good
where they are not charged directly for the use of the resource, or a
product that represents sales of a use of the resource, ie man-hours
or asset-hours.

-David

On Jul 12, 2005, at 2:55 AM, TAU - Mario Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing the design for the industrial cost subcomponent of the
> manufacturing component; my goal is to compute the total standard
> cost of a manufactured product taking into account the product's
> standard routing times and the fixed assets and persons involved in
> the manufacturing process.
>
> Initially I'd like to keep things simple, so I'd like to store the
> information about the fixed asset's costs per hour (setup cost and
> running cost).
>
> Should I use the following entities?
> WorkEffortSkillStandard: to store information about the standard
> costs for the persons involved in the manufacturing process
>
> WorkEffortFixedAssetStd: to store information about the standard
> costs for the fixed asset needed in the manufacturing process; or
> should I use the WorkEffortFixedAssetAssign entity also for this?
>
> Is this the right way to go?
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario Cappellato

Re: [OFBiz] Users - the industrial costs

TAU - Mario Cappellato
David,

thanks for your help.
Are you suggesting to add new fields to the FixedAsset entity? Something
like "setupTimeCost" and "runTimeCost" to store information about the
industrial costs related to the usage of a given fixed asset.
This could be a good solution for me...
Or are you suggesting to store this kind of information in a new entity
(e.g. "FixedAssetStandardCost")?

At the moment I'm not interested in calculating the cost to charge to a
client, but I agree with you that this could/should be implemented according
with the "product" data model.

Thanks for your time,

Mario

In general it's probably best to associate cost information directly
to the resource, ie to the FixedAsset or the Party. Done that way it
wouldn't matter how the FixedAsset or Party is attached to the
WorkEffort.

That would be a natural cost or cost to the company. The amount
charged to a client or customer is another issue altogether and
should probably be represented by a product that is sold to the
customer. That product could be a manufactured or assembled good
where they are not charged directly for the use of the resource, or a
product that represents sales of a use of the resource, ie man-hours
or asset-hours.

-David

On Jul 12, 2005, at 2:55 AM, TAU - Mario Cappellato wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm doing the design for the industrial cost subcomponent of the
> manufacturing component; my goal is to compute the total standard
> cost of a manufactured product taking into account the product's
> standard routing times and the fixed assets and persons involved in
> the manufacturing process.
>
> Initially I'd like to keep things simple, so I'd like to store the
> information about the fixed asset's costs per hour (setup cost and
> running cost).
>
> Should I use the following entities?
> WorkEffortSkillStandard: to store information about the standard
> costs for the persons involved in the manufacturing process
>
> WorkEffortFixedAssetStd: to store information about the standard
> costs for the fixed asset needed in the manufacturing process; or
> should I use the WorkEffortFixedAssetAssign entity also for this?
>
> Is this the right way to go?
> Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mario Cappellato

Re: [OFBiz] Users - the industrial costs

David E. Jones

It might be good to have these in a different entity. It would be
easier to add other types of costs, and it could be effective dated.

I was thinking this might be applicable for maintenance costs, but
after thinking about it more I don't think that would apply. We need
something special to model maintenance activities, schedules, and costs.

-David

On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:56 AM, TAU - Mario Cappellato wrote:

> David,
>
> thanks for your help.
> Are you suggesting to add new fields to the FixedAsset entity?
> Something like "setupTimeCost" and "runTimeCost" to store
> information about the industrial costs related to the usage of a
> given fixed asset.
> This could be a good solution for me...
> Or are you suggesting to store this kind of information in a new
> entity (e.g. "FixedAssetStandardCost")?
>
> At the moment I'm not interested in calculating the cost to charge
> to a client, but I agree with you that this could/should be
> implemented according with the "product" data model.
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Mario
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Jones"
> <[hidden email]>

Hi David,

ok, following your suggestions, here are the first draft for two new
entities:

FixedAssetStdCost
 fixedAssetId (*)
 fixedAssetStdCostTypeId (*)
 fromDate (*)
 thruDate
 currencyUomId
 amount

and

FixedAssetStdCostType
 fixedAssetStdCostTypeId (*)
 description

Any remarks/comments?

Thanks,

Mario

> It might be good to have these in a different entity. It would be  easier
> to add other types of costs, and it could be effective dated.
>
> I was thinking this might be applicable for maintenance costs, but  after
> thinking about it more I don't think that would apply. We need  something
> special to model maintenance activities, schedules, and costs.
>
> -David
>

> On Jul 17, 2005, at 4:56 AM, TAU - Mario Cappellato wrote:
>
>> David,
>>
>> thanks for your help.
>> Are you suggesting to add new fields to the FixedAsset entity?  Something
>> like "setupTimeCost" and "runTimeCost" to store  information about the
>> industrial costs related to the usage of a  given fixed asset.
>> This could be a good solution for me...
>> Or are you suggesting to store this kind of information in a new  entity
>> (e.g. "FixedAssetStandardCost")?
>>
>> At the moment I'm not interested in calculating the cost to charge  to a
>> client, but I agree with you that this could/should be  implemented
>> according with the "product" data model.
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Mario
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David E. Jones"  <[hidden email]>

Looks good. The only change I would make is from "currencyUomId" to
"amountUomId", making it clear what the Uom applies to. This is an
issue in other areas in the OFBiz data model so I've been trying to
do it more this way with newer entities.

-David

On Jul 18, 2005, at 1:41 PM, TAU - Mario Cappellato wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> ok, following your suggestions, here are the first draft for two
> new entities:
>
> FixedAssetStdCost
> fixedAssetId (*)
> fixedAssetStdCostTypeId (*)