Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Adrian Crum
I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated local
copy works fine.

Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.

-Adrian

Sharan-F wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm trying to access the Hotwax Demo site and am getting the following
> message instead of the normal login screen:
>
> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering screen
> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)
>
> Thanks
> Sharan

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

David E Jones-3

Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work with
the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF server?
As great as it is to have this demo server contributed by Hotwax (and
yes, I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra stuff at Hotwax
don't always follow these mailing lists so reporting problems here
does no good. At least with ASF infra people would have someone the
infra Jira and such to use when issues arise. I could try to ping
those people every time I see something on the lists, but that means a
single point of failure (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being
a nag and having to get involved and investigate every time something
goes wrong, which I'm not really all that available for (I won't go
into details, but just believe me when I say that I don't have much
influence on those things).

On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be too
much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend to get
stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the best
solution is...

This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more difficult,
in order to even help you must be pretty involved with the project,
most things requiring PMC membership to get going. These have been on
my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board report for details), but
that list is pretty big and priorities difficult for me to decide on...

Help! I'm drowning! ;)

-David

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated local
> copy works fine.
>
> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Sharan-F wrote:
>> Hi
>> I'm trying to access the Hotwax Demo site and am getting the
>> following
>> message instead of the normal login screen:
>> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering screen
>> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
>> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)
>> Thanks
>> Sharan

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Mike Bates-2
For what it is worth I know Tim and Rob are looking into the demo
server issue now.

Mike

On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:51 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work
> with the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF
> server? As great as it is to have this demo server contributed by
> Hotwax (and yes, I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra
> stuff at Hotwax don't always follow these mailing lists so reporting
> problems here does no good. At least with ASF infra people would
> have someone the infra Jira and such to use when issues arise. I
> could try to ping those people every time I see something on the
> lists, but that means a single point of failure (me), which is a bad
> thing, and I end up being a nag and having to get involved and
> investigate every time something goes wrong, which I'm not really
> all that available for (I won't go into details, but just believe me
> when I say that I don't have much influence on those things).
>
> On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be
> too much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend to
> get stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the best
> solution is...
>
> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
> need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more
> difficult, in order to even help you must be pretty involved with
> the project, most things requiring PMC membership to get going.
> These have been on my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board
> report for details), but that list is pretty big and priorities
> difficult for me to decide on...
>
> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated
>> local copy works fine.
>>
>> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Sharan-F wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm trying to access the Hotwax Demo site and am getting the
>>> following
>>> message instead of the normal login screen:
>>> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering
>>> screen
>>> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Adrian Crum
Would Hotwax be willing to grant demo server access to PMC volunteers
until we can do the migration?

I'm willing to help. I would be working on this issue right now if I had
access to the server.

-Adrian

David E Jones wrote:

> Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work with
> the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF server? As
> great as it is to have this demo server contributed by Hotwax (and yes,
> I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra stuff at Hotwax don't
> always follow these mailing lists so reporting problems here does no
> good. At least with ASF infra people would have someone the infra Jira
> and such to use when issues arise. I could try to ping those people
> every time I see something on the lists, but that means a single point
> of failure (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being a nag and
> having to get involved and investigate every time something goes wrong,
> which I'm not really all that available for (I won't go into details,
> but just believe me when I say that I don't have much influence on those
> things).
>
> On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be too
> much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend to get
> stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the best
> solution is...
>
> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
> need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more difficult,
> in order to even help you must be pretty involved with the project, most
> things requiring PMC membership to get going. These have been on my list
> for a while (see the last OFBiz board report for details), but that list
> is pretty big and priorities difficult for me to decide on...
>
> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated local
>> copy works fine.
>>
>> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Sharan-F wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm trying to access the Hotwax Demo site and am getting the following
>>> message instead of the normal login screen:
>>> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering screen
>>> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Rob Schapper
The Demo Server is now back up and running :)

Rob Schapper

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:

> Would Hotwax be willing to grant demo server access to PMC
> volunteers until we can do the migration?
>
> I'm willing to help. I would be working on this issue right now if I
> had access to the server.
>
> -Adrian
>
> David E Jones wrote:
>> Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work
>> with the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF
>> server? As great as it is to have this demo server contributed by
>> Hotwax (and yes, I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra
>> stuff at Hotwax don't always follow these mailing lists so
>> reporting problems here does no good. At least with ASF infra
>> people would have someone the infra Jira and such to use when
>> issues arise. I could try to ping those people every time I see
>> something on the lists, but that means a single point of failure
>> (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being a nag and having to
>> get involved and investigate every time something goes wrong, which
>> I'm not really all that available for (I won't go into details, but
>> just believe me when I say that I don't have much influence on
>> those things).
>> On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be
>> too much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend
>> to get stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the
>> best solution is...
>> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that
>> we need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more
>> difficult, in order to even help you must be pretty involved with
>> the project, most things requiring PMC membership to get going.
>> These have been on my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board
>> report for details), but that list is pretty big and priorities
>> difficult for me to decide on...
>> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>> -David
>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated
>>> local copy works fine.
>>>
>>> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

David E Jones-3

Wow, thanks Rob!

BTW, did you notice any specific cause for this problem?

-David

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Rob Schapper wrote:

> The Demo Server is now back up and running :)
>
> Rob Schapper
>

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> Would Hotwax be willing to grant demo server access to PMC
>> volunteers until we can do the migration?
>>
>> I'm willing to help. I would be working on this issue right now if
>> I had access to the server.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> David E Jones wrote:
>>> Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work
>>> with the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF
>>> server? As great as it is to have this demo server contributed by
>>> Hotwax (and yes, I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra
>>> stuff at Hotwax don't always follow these mailing lists so
>>> reporting problems here does no good. At least with ASF infra
>>> people would have someone the infra Jira and such to use when
>>> issues arise. I could try to ping those people every time I see
>>> something on the lists, but that means a single point of failure
>>> (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being a nag and having to
>>> get involved and investigate every time something goes wrong,
>>> which I'm not really all that available for (I won't go into
>>> details, but just believe me when I say that I don't have much
>>> influence on those things).
>>> On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be
>>> too much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend
>>> to get stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the
>>> best solution is...
>>> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that
>>> we need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more
>>> difficult, in order to even help you must be pretty involved with
>>> the project, most things requiring PMC membership to get going.
>>> These have been on my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board
>>> report for details), but that list is pretty big and priorities
>>> difficult for me to decide on...
>>> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>>> -David

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Rob Schapper
I didn't have time to look i just knew the latest version on the trunk
was working for me so I just redeployed.

-Rob

On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:11 PM, David E Jones wrote:

> Wow, thanks Rob!
>
> BTW, did you notice any specific cause for this problem?
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:06 PM, Rob Schapper wrote:
>
>> The Demo Server is now back up and running :)
>>
>> Rob Schapper
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>>
>>> Would Hotwax be willing to grant demo server access to PMC
>>> volunteers until we can do the migration?
>>>
>>> I'm willing to help. I would be working on this issue right now if
>>> I had access to the server.
>>>
>>> -Adrian

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Tim Ruppert
Adrian, we'd love to have your help on this if you're so inclined.  Send me personal mail and we'll get this going straight away.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

----- "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would Hotwax be willing to grant demo server access to PMC volunteers
>
> until we can do the migration?
>
> I'm willing to help. I would be working on this issue right now if I
> had
> access to the server.
>
> -Adrian
>
> David E Jones wrote:
> >
> > Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work
> with
> > the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF
> server? As
> > great as it is to have this demo server contributed by Hotwax (and
> yes,
> > I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra stuff at Hotwax
> don't
> > always follow these mailing lists so reporting problems here does no
>
> > good. At least with ASF infra people would have someone the infra
> Jira
> > and such to use when issues arise. I could try to ping those people
>
> > every time I see something on the lists, but that means a single
> point
> > of failure (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being a nag and
>
> > having to get involved and investigate every time something goes
> wrong,
> > which I'm not really all that available for (I won't go into
> details,
> > but just believe me when I say that I don't have much influence on
> those
> > things).
> >
> > On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be
> too
> > much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend to get
>
> > stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the best
> > solution is...
> >
> > This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
>
> > need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more
> difficult,
> > in order to even help you must be pretty involved with the project,
> most
> > things requiring PMC membership to get going. These have been on my
> list
> > for a while (see the last OFBiz board report for details), but that
> list
> > is pretty big and priorities difficult for me to decide on...
> >
> > Help! I'm drowning! ;)
> >
> > -David
> >

> > On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
> >
> >> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated
> local
> >> copy works fine.
> >>
> >> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
> >>
> >> -Adrian

> following
> screen

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

hans_bakker
Yes, i can give a hand here, however we should be able to run the
website under ofbiz too.....

Regards,
Hans

Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

Tim Ruppert
We sure can, but since they host that and don't do it under OFBiz, that would make it tough :)  If this is a request to get a site setup for OFBiz run by OFBiz, I'm all in to host this on this server and get it going as well.  I doubt we'll want to make this change at this point, but let me know your thoughts.

Hans, email me privately and I'll get you going on the server with access as well.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

I may help too

Jacques

From: "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>

> Are there any volunteers on the PMC who would be willing to work with
> the ASF infra on getting a demo server setup on an actual ASF server?
> As great as it is to have this demo server contributed by Hotwax (and
> yes, I am a part of Hotwax), the people that do infra stuff at Hotwax
> don't always follow these mailing lists so reporting problems here
> does no good. At least with ASF infra people would have someone the
> infra Jira and such to use when issues arise. I could try to ping
> those people every time I see something on the lists, but that means a
> single point of failure (me), which is a bad thing, and I end up being
> a nag and having to get involved and investigate every time something
> goes wrong, which I'm not really all that available for (I won't go
> into details, but just believe me when I say that I don't have much
> influence on those things).
>
> On the other hand, maybe hosting a demo server like this would be too
> much of a pain for the current ASF infra volunteers (who tend to get
> stretched rather thin sometimes). So, I don't know what the best
> solution is...
>
> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
> need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more difficult,
> in order to even help you must be pretty involved with the project,
> most things requiring PMC membership to get going. These have been on
> my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board report for details), but
> that list is pretty big and priorities difficult for me to decide on...
>
> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>
> -David
>

> On Jan 22, 2009, at 2:36 PM, Adrian Crum wrote:
>
>> I get the same error on the demo site, yet my recently-updated local
>> copy works fine.
>>
>> Someone who has access to the demo site needs to check the logs.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Sharan-F wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> I'm trying to access the Hotwax Demo site and am getting the
>>> following
>>> message instead of the normal login screen:
>>> org.ofbiz.widget.screen.ScreenRenderException: Error rendering screen
>>> [component://common/widget/CommonScreens.xml#GlobalDecorator]:
>>> java.lang.NullPointerException (null)
>>> Thanks
>>> Sharan

Re: Problem with Hotwax Demo

David E Jones-3

At the minute ALL ASF web sites run on static HTML. In some cases that
HTML is exported from something like confluence, but none of them
dynamically generate right now (AFAIK). I'm not sure, but I think this
is actually an infra policy as there are not sufficient server
resources for running all the sites in a dynamic way, and for the most
part there is no reason for it since the sites are just static content
anyway.

I don't know how much traffic ofbiz.apache.org gets, but I know many
of the other projects get a LOT of traffic and the servers available
for the web sites could not handle that traffic with dynamic content
rendering going on.

Stepping back a little... we don't even know if we'll be able to host
an OFBiz demo in a reasonable way (we should be able to, but I don't
know), so we're getting a bit ahead of ourselves thinking about the
web site.

BTW, I saw your commit Hans to put the site in the cmssite example.
That's an interesting thing to do, and might be a good example with
simplified content, but I'm worried about redundancy and inconsistency
with the content there (ie I don't think there's a very good chance it
will be maintained as the site is changed).

-David

On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Tim Ruppert wrote:

> [...]
>>> solution is...
>>>
>>> This is one of various things that are not on ASF infra, and that we
>>
>>> need volunteers to help with migrating. To make things more
>> difficult,
>>> in order to even help you must be pretty involved with the project,
>>
>>> most things requiring PMC membership to get going. These have been
>> on
>>> my list for a while (see the last OFBiz board report for details),
>> but
>>> that list is pretty big and priorities difficult for me to decide
>> on...
>>>
>>> Help! I'm drowning! ;)
>>>
>>> -David

>> local

>> screen

>> Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Hi David,

i just subscribed to the infrastructure mailing list and see if we can
satisfy their request of running the demo there....then we would need a
small redirect on the ofbiz.apache.org to make this happen. Do you still
have the original request from Apache, i cannot find it here anymore.

The site can be maintained simply by updating ofbiz svn as we did in the
early days.

Regards,
Hans

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 00:32 -0700, David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >> Yes, i can give a hand here, however we should be able to run the
> >> website under ofbiz too.....
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Hans

> >> with
> >> server?
> >> (and
> >> Hotwax

> >> being
> >> something

> >> too

> >> difficult,

> >> on
> >> but
> >> on...

> >> local

> >> screen
> >>>
> >> --
> >> Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Which request from Apache are you looking for?

The main infra stuff that needs to be handled still for OFBiz are
these in the board report:

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBADMIN/ASF+Board+Report+2008-12

-David

On Jan 23, 2009, at 12:56 AM, Hans Bakker wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> On Jan 22, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Tim Ruppert wrote:
>>
>>> We sure can, but since they host that and don't do it under OFBiz,
>>> that would make it tough :)  If this is a request to get a site
>>> setup for OFBiz run by OFBiz, I'm all in to host this on this server
>>> and get it going as well.  I doubt we'll want to make this change at
>>> this point, but let me know your thoughts.
>>>
>>> Hans, email me privately and I'll get you going on the server with
>>> access as well.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Tim
>>> --
>>> Tim Ruppert
>>> HotWax Media
>>> http://www.hotwaxmedia.com
>>>
>>> o:801.649.6594
>>> f:801.649.6595

> --
> Antwebsystems.com: Quality OFBiz services for competitive prices

Jacques, send me a request to my email and I'll get this going for you.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert