Re: Risk Management System

Cameron Smith-6
Dear Chris, I sent a brief summary to Patrick directly.  If you send me your email in an unspammable format, I'd be happy to forward what I wrote to you.

It's the kind of project I'd be interested in were I still in the UK.   From experience of working on a very successful rapid project to develop a government budget system, I would recommend:

- set up very good communications between the business experts and the techies and have an affable but firm, hands-on project manager who makes sure these communications never falter
- automate EVERYTHING about the data model and testing so that you can iterate it quickly.  Unit tests, Web tests, cruise control, automated build, etc.
- get your two main techies to wrap the data model with a primitive UI and hammer the f* out of it with repeated client interactions, going through all use cases and scenarios again and again.   Do not waste time building fancy screens or peripheral functionality until you have the data model really clear.
- also prioritize all non-UI data flows into/out of the system (ex. data imports, spreadsheet exports) and get the whole data flow-through working as soon as possible

I think OFBiz would /help/ with all of these bits but the project mgt and senior techies and at least one positively-mind business expert will be the key.

I actually know a really excellent guy now based in London who'd be a cracking senior tech for this kind of project, however last we spoke he was fed up of Java after all these years and is doing RoR.  But his firm might do consulting work, I will check with him and if there is any interest, I will put you in touch with each other.

If I could help in a remote way, it would be to persuade you to use ZK for the front-end, and help you get it set up.   But in any case, I am long overdue to fulfill my promise to write a tutorial about that on the OFBiz wiki.  Nearly at top of my to-do list, honest.

cameron

P.S. congratulations David!  Do NOT take a laptop anywhere near your honeymoon mate!

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

Re: Risk Management System

snowch
Cameron,

My email is snowch __ at __ coralms.com

Many thanks!

Chris

On 3 May 2007, at 23:02, Cameron Smith wrote:

> Dear Chris, I sent a brief summary to Patrick directly.  If you
> send me your email in an unspammable format, I'd be happy to
> forward what I wrote to you.
>
> It's the kind of project I'd be interested in were I still in the
> UK.   From experience of working on a very successful rapid project
> to develop a government budget system, I would recommend:
>
> - set up very good communications between the business experts and
> the techies and have an affable but firm, hands-on project manager
> who makes sure these communications never falter
> - automate EVERYTHING about the data model and testing so that you
> can iterate it quickly.  Unit tests, Web tests, cruise control,
> automated build, etc.
> - get your two main techies to wrap the data model with a primitive
> UI and hammer the f* out of it with repeated client interactions,
> going through all use cases and scenarios again and again.   Do not
> waste time building fancy screens or peripheral functionality until
> you have the data model really clear.
> - also prioritize all non-UI data flows into/out of the system (ex.
> data imports, spreadsheet exports) and get the whole data flow-
> through working as soon as possible
>
> I think OFBiz would /help/ with all of these bits but the project
> mgt and senior techies and at least one positively-mind business
> expert will be the key.
>
> I actually know a really excellent guy now based in London who'd be
> a cracking senior tech for this kind of project, however last we
> spoke he was fed up of Java after all these years and is doing
> RoR.  But his firm might do consulting work, I will check with him
> and if there is any interest, I will put you in touch with each other.
>
> If I could help in a remote way, it would be to persuade you to use
> ZK for the front-end, and help you get it set up.   But in any
> case, I am long overdue to fulfill my promise to write a tutorial
> about that on the OFBiz wiki.  Nearly at top of my to-do list, honest.
>
> cameron
>
> P.S. congratulations David!  Do NOT take a laptop anywhere near
> your honeymoon mate!

> Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the
> answer. Try it
> now.
> http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/

> believed to be clean.