Re: Scaling ofbiz

BJ Freeman
this should be on the User Mailing list.
I have copied this to the User Mailing list.
there is a response from David to this with the subject
Re: Deploy Ofbiz in JBoss

madppiper sent the following on 9/2/2008 1:45 AM:

> I just skipped through the Database and noticed how it bursts with Varchar,
> Longtext and Decimal Datatypes. With increasing Datasets that should result
> in slower query-results and hence use up some of the needed CPU-Performance.
>
> (The reason for that is similar to the following:
> If you think of the database as of a huge table that the program has to skip
> through, it is best if each cell has a specific length. That way you can
> skip through the end of each cell with ease.
> Now with Varchars and Longtext datatypes you cannot do any of that. The
> Datatypes are variable in length (even if you set the maximum length - as
> done in the database) and hence slow down the process, since you have to
> read through the entire cell before noticing the end... )
>
> As such, i would argue for a revision of the database-structure. I haven't
> taken a deeper look at the table Indexes (those can largely affect the
> overall performance as well), but i think that we can easily increase the
> system performance by turning varchars into chars with maximum lengths...
>
> I know that that also means an increased need for diskpace (the maximum
> length of a cell is always reserved), but in my opinion, diskspace comes
> much cheaper nowadays than a heated need for high performin cpus...
>

> rajesh_r_j wrote:
>> We are having severe performance issue running ofbiz with embedded tomcat.
>> Currently it struggles to serve 50,000 pages/day (with maximum access
>> between 7pm -11pm). Our deployment architecture is currently one linux box
>> (2 GHz single processer, 2 GB RAM, CentOS Linux5) hosting web server
>> (ofbiz embedded tomcat) and DB (postgresql).
>>
>> We are looking to serve 30,000 pages/day with each visit serving
>> approximately 10 pages, which boils down to serving around 2500 - 3000
>> customers/day. To achieve this, we are seriously considering moving to a
>> better server configuration and at the same time thinking about scaling up
>> the deployment architecture (using apache for static content, having 2 – 3
>> instance of servers running ofbiz and having a different server for DB).
>>
>> Being a new bee to ofbiz, I was reading through the forums and
>> documentations to find out what is the correct approach to achieve the
>> above and was surprised to see that with one box people have achieved
>> around 1 million pages/day.
>>
>> I would like to find out what will be the best approach for us to take and
>> also find some cool links/documentation/discussions about scaling up with
>> ofbiz(embedded tomcat), using apache for static content and separate DB.
>>
>> Thanks for the help.
>>
>> Raj

Re: Scaling ofbiz

BJ Freeman
The outline is a good check list
it covers things to be considered for scaling that are not the setup guide.

rajesh_r_j sent the following on 9/2/2008 3:16 AM: