Re: Users - Spring vs Ofbiz http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=FAQ1

David E. Jones

Are you asking how much additional work would be required to build
something like OFBiz using Spring/Hibernate versus the OFBiz
framework? I really wouldn't know... I could guess, but to
effectively answer that question would require some pretty tricky
studying of efforts done by people experienced with both, or perhaps
in a larger group to reduce personal variations, groups of people
very experienced with one or the other. You're getting into human
performance questions and that is impossibly complex...

We have worked with people who are somewhat experienced with both and
OFBiz is significantly more efficient. At the time the OFBiz tools
were created neither Hibernate nor Spring existed, but compared to
the tools available at the time OFBiz is easily an order of magnitude
more efficient. That I can say based on experience because I spent
about a year and a half doing development with those sorts of tools.
I have evaluated Spring and Hibernate since then, and they are an
improvement over previous tools but there is still a HUGE difference:
those are technical level tools meant to solve technical problems,
not business problems. The gap between them and business problems is
still huge. The OFBiz framework is meant to directly address business
problems with much higher level tools, though not so simple and
inflexible as a typical 4GL system which usually become cumbersome
due to inflexibility and limitations.

If you are experienced with Spring and Hibernate, then you may want
to look at the OFBiz tools to see how they do things. Just keep in
mind that these tools are meant for facilitating the creation and
maintenance of thousands of data, logic and user interface elements.
Creating a single page is certainly more cumbersome with OFBiz, but
"hello world" examples are not what it is meant, and maintaining lots
of pages is WAY easier...

Of course, you could rewrite all of the OFBiz applications (ie data,
logic and UI layers) using Spring and Hibernate plus the dozens of
other components and libraries to fill in gaps in those and form a
more complete framework. It would be a good idea, in my opinion, to
do it based on a service oriented architecture like the one in OFBiz,
but if you like the object oriented approach where you have an OO
core and mapping objects for every little thing to make it work with
services, databases, web browsers, and so on, then I wish you well in
the happy world of 10x redundancy...

Hopefully that explains a bit more behind my comments. This is a
really big deal. Try building an ERP system based on object oriented
tools and you'll see pretty quick why this has never really been
successfully done...

-David