Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Arun Patidar-2
Hello All,

In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place, only
items issuance is done.

IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
following reasons

   - To manage inventory issuance information
   - To store the customer information
   - To track the total sales amount

I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data model.
Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record only.
This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.

It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

--
Thanks & Regards
---

HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.

www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Rishi Solanki
Arun,

I'm not sure about the idea would work or not. But yes if the following
list pass then we could think of doing so.

- Suppose we have 2 POS stores and will get orders from both pos stores.
And if we remove the order data model dependency then;
-- How we will see the sales from both pos. Invoices?
-- How to track the sales being done by the each pos store.
-- Do we have any alternative way to check inventory of each pos store. We
may like to see the count of sold items and remaining items on each store.
-- Do we have any way to track the customer's purchasing and on the basis
of purchasing can we add them to some marketing campaign. May be to give
the discount coupon or offers.
- Also you are taking an example POS won't send the shipping or billing
information but if some store is only selling to registered user then how
we are going to handle that?
- How to manage the loyalty points if POS stores issuing one, and how it
will redeem those points without having orders in the system.

I could think of the above points only, will share if come up with more.

--
Rishi Solanki
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Arun Patidar <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
> status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
> method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place, only
> items issuance is done.
>
> IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
> following reasons
>
>    - To manage inventory issuance information
>    - To store the customer information
>    - To track the total sales amount
>

> I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data model.
> Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record only.
> This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.
>
> It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
> data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards
> ---
> Arun Patidar
> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
>
> HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.
>
> www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Arun Patidar-2
Hello Rishi,

Thanks for your concerns. See my comments inline:

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 7:55 PM, Rishi Solanki <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Arun,
>
> I'm not sure about the idea would work or not. But yes if the following
> list pass then we could think of doing so.
>
> - Suppose we have 2 POS stores and will get orders from both pos stores.
> And if we remove the order data model dependency then;
> -- How we will see the sales from both pos. Invoices?

We can track it as:  Invoice -> posTerminalLog -> PosTerminal -> Facility
-> ProductStore

> -- How to track the sales being done by the each pos store.

Same as above

> -- Do we have any alternative way to check inventory of each pos store. We
> may like to see the count of sold items and remaining items on each store.

Same as above

> -- Do we have any way to track the customer's purchasing and on the basis
> of purchasing can we add them to some marketing campaign. May be to give
> the discount coupon or offers.

We can track customer specific sales using Invoice and InvoiceRole

> - Also you are taking an example POS won't send the shipping or billing
> information but if some store is only selling to registered user then how
> we are going to handle that?

InvoiceContactMech can be use to store shipping and billing contacts of
customer.

> - How to manage the loyalty points if POS stores issuing one, and how it
> will redeem those points without having orders in the system.

Loyalty points are specific to Party/Customer. Not sure where it uses Order.

--
Thanks & Regards
---
Arun Patidar
Manager, Enterprise Software Development

HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.

www.hotwaxsystems.com

> I could think of the above points only, will share if come up with more.
>

> --
> Rishi Solanki
> Sr Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
> Direct: +91-9893287847
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
> www.hotwax.co
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 4:58 PM, Arun Patidar <arun.patidar@hotwaxsystems.
> com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
>> status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
>> method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place,
>> only
>> items issuance is done.
>>
>> IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
>> following reasons
>>
>>    - To manage inventory issuance information
>>    - To store the customer information
>>    - To track the total sales amount
>>

>> I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data model.
>> Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record only.
>> This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.
>>
>> It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
>> data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
>>

>> --
>> Thanks & Regards
>> ---
>> Arun Patidar
>> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
>>
>> HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.
>>
>> www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Hi Arun,

With the old POS it was used to temporary store a sales and reuse it.
For instance when else a client would block another client while searching for something she forgot.

You might be interested by https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-565 and related

I can't remember of other uses OTTOMH

Jacques

Le 29/08/2017 à 13:28, Arun Patidar a écrit :

> Hello All,
>
> In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
> status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
> method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place, only
> items issuance is done.
>
> IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
> following reasons
>
>     - To manage inventory issuance information
>     - To store the customer information
>     - To track the total sales amount
>

> I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data model.
> Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record only.
> This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.
>
> It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
> data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Scott Gray-3
It's also used for pricing rule and promotion capabilities.
Laybys/layaways, rainchecks and purchases on account also would benefit
from the order model.

If POS were extended to hospitality that would also rely on an order model.

Regards
Scott

On 29/08/2017 23:29, "Arun Patidar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
> status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
> method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place, only
> items issuance is done.
>
> IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
> following reasons
>
>    - To manage inventory issuance information
>    - To store the customer information
>    - To track the total sales amount
>

> I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data model.
> Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record only.
> This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.
>
> It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
> data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
>

> --
> Thanks & Regards
> ---
> Arun Patidar
> Manager, Enterprise Software Development
>
> HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.
>
> www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Rishi Solanki
Thanks @Scott and @Jacques for putting these for brainstorming. I couldn't
share right examples for recommendation that sales data is necessary to
have in the system, when we are actually doing the sales in business.

I believe whenever doing sales, logging should be there. It might be
possible that, for some reason the data not seems useful for certain
situation.

Thanks again!

Rishi Solanki
HotWax Systems Pvt. Ltd.
Direct: +91-9893287847
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com
www.hotwax.co

On Thu, Aug 31, 2017 at 1:42 PM, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> It's also used for pricing rule and promotion capabilities.
> Laybys/layaways, rainchecks and purchases on account also would benefit
> from the order model.
>
> If POS were extended to hospitality that would also rely on an order model.
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 29/08/2017 23:29, "Arun Patidar" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > In POS system, order immediately fulfill and come directly in 'Completed'
> > status. Also, there is no shipping address, billing address, shipping
> > method requires in POS. And even no inventory reservation takes place,
> only
> > items issuance is done.
> >
> > IMO, In the current system, the POS order detail is stored for the
> > following reasons
> >
> >    - To manage inventory issuance information
> >    - To store the customer information
> >    - To track the total sales amount
> >

> > I am thinking to remove the dependency of POS sales with Order data
> model.
> > Alternatively, we can simply create Invoice and item issuance record
> only.
> > This will reduce the system load for managing POS sales.
> >
> > It is possible that I am missing any important scenario that needs Order
> > data model. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks & Regards
> > ---
> > Arun Patidar
> > Manager, Enterprise Software Development
> >
> > HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.
> >
> > www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Remove Order data model dependency for POS sales

Arun Patidar-2
Thanks all for your feedback on this.  As Scott mentioned that order model
has its own benefits. So, for now keeping POS sales through Order model.

I will keep thinking on uses and benefits of order model with POS sales and
will update you accordingly.

Thanks again for all your support and time.

--
Thanks & Regards
---
Arun Patidar
Manager, Enterprise Software Development

HotWax Systems Pvt Ltd.

www.hotwaxsystems.com