Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi all,

what about simplifying the main page of the OFBiz website:

http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/

?

I've started reviewing the links in the left column (that for your
convenience I've copied at the bottom of this message), and I think that
some of them are unnecessary and can be removed or at least moved to a
new web page named "Misc Resources" (or something like this).

In detail:

1) the section "Cool Sites" could be removed

2) the sections "Apache OFBiz Communities" and "Apache OFBiz Related
Blogs" could be moved to the new "Resources" page

3) in the "What is OFBiz?" section, the links "Brochures", "Conference
Videos" and "Framework Intro Videos" should be moved to the
http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/documents.html page

4) in the "Download OFBiz" section:
4a) the links "Getting And Using OFBiz", "Production Setup Guide",
should be moved to the http://incubator.apache.org/ofbiz/documents.html page
4b) the "Documentation" link can be removed
4c) the "Release Notes" link can be removed (or hidden) because it the
referenced document is too old
4d) the "Download Releases" link should be hidden or should point to the
new (temp) folder where the RC1 is stored: I think that the reference to
the OLD sourceforge release can be very confusing for new users

5) in the "Resources & Tools" section:
5a) add a new link to the new "Misc Resources" page (that needs to be
created)
5b) move the "Old Mailing Lists", "The Old Java.net Site",
"The Old SourceForge.net Site", "Old Wiki" links to the new "Misc
Resources" page
5c) remove the "Old Jira (Issue Tracker)" link
5d) all the following links can be moved (they are already in the
"documentation" page): "Documentation (Confluence)", "Production Setup
Guide", "Documentation" (maybe we could leave just this), "Conference
Videos"

Thanks for your time,

***What is OFBiz?***

General Overview
Is OFBiz for Me?
Feature List
Features Coming Soon
Brochures
Documentation
Conference Videos
Framework Intro Videos

***Demo Site***

Extended Demo by Open Travel System
eCommerce Demo
Management Console
Hotel Frontend
Hotel Backend

***Download OFBiz***

Getting And Using OFBiz (PDF)
Production Setup Guide
Source Access (Recommended)
Release Notes
Download Releases
Weekly Builds
Documentation
Copyright & License

***Resources & Tools***

Apache Incubator Status
dev Mailing List
user Mailing List
commits Mailing List
Old Mailing Lists
Apache OFBiz - Jira (Issue Tracker)
Old Jira (Issue Tracker)
SVN (Source Repository)
Documentation (Confluence)
Docs Site: Wiki
Old Wiki
Production Setup Guide
Documentation
Conference Videos
The Old Java.net Site
The Old SourceForge.net Site

***Apache OFBiz Related Blogs***

OFBiz and Open Source by David E. Jones
What's New in OFBiz by Si Chen

***Apache OFBiz Communities***

Locales
   United Kingdom
   Germany
   France
   Netherlands
   China
Industries
   Government
   Travel

***Cool Sites***

Java.Net
SourceForge
FreshMeat
NewsForge
Slashdot
JavaLobby
TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

David E Jones-2

I very much agree that the ofbiz.org web site could use some
improvement, although I rather think that at this point it needs more
of a planned re-design rather than iterative improvements.

First maybe some background of the current site:

1. the structure of the site, except for reorganizing and adding some
color to the home page about a year and a half ago (looks like April
2005), has not changed in a few years and is basically the original
structure of the site

2. the intent of the web site from the beginning of the project has
been to serve the needs of developers and hopefully attract
contributors, ie people that are detail oriented and have the skills
and/or interest necessary to be able, and likely to, contribute to
the project in a meaningful way

3. the project is now reaching a point where we do want to attract
more end-users that will likely not contribute directly to the
project, or even interact directly with it, but that are certainly
still extremely important to the long term success and stability of
the project

4. the web site has been created and maintained by a single person
(yours truly and sincerely) with little feedback except for
occasional small mistakes or needs for change or contributions like
testimonials and case studies (which we could use a LOT more of); the
person who has created and is maintaining the site has done quite a
bit of research on web site usability including reviewing various
case studies (the current "big page" design for the home page was
based on a case study of amazon.com) and studied human-computer
interaction in his one semester of graduate school, and so he knows
very well that one of the big problems with the current site is that
it has had no usability studies, and not enough feedback from actual
users to substitute for that; he is also not a graphic designer and
has demonstrated this by creating the current layout and color scheme
of the ofbiz site

Because of this history of the site and the changing direction of the
project, my opinion is that instead of starting with what we've got
and talking about moving things around, perhaps we should start with
more of a blank slate and talk about what we'd like the site to look
like, and then after something is in place there review the current
stuff and decide where everything should go (including a trash bin
option...).

With iterative changes at this point, like the ones you've proposed
which are individually good, I think it could hide resources or make
the site more difficult to navigate for a while, ie until it finally
settles down, and during that period it could be even worse than it
is now in terms of usability, find-ability, et cetera.

-David

On Sep 15, 2006, at 4:31 AM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> [...]
> The Old SourceForge.net Site
>
> ***Apache OFBiz Related Blogs***
>
> OFBiz and Open Source by David E. Jones
> What's New in OFBiz by Si Chen
>
> ***Apache OFBiz Communities***
>
> Locales
>   United Kingdom
>   Germany
>   France
>   Netherlands
>   China
> Industries
>   Government
>   Travel
>
> ***Cool Sites***
>
> Java.Net
> SourceForge
> FreshMeat
> NewsForge
> Slashdot
> JavaLobby
> TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

Tim Ruppert
I was just thinking about this today - and wanted to point everyone in
the direction of a mighty empty Wiki page that we started a while back
to facilitate this discussion.

Currently I can't get to the Wiki at docs.ofbiz.org - as I'm sure that
Confluence is probably hung up.  Could someone give it a kick?

Anyways, when it's back up - there is a page already started with some
interesting questions (offered up by Si Chen a while back) that I think
that we should answer in order to understand where we're headed.

The audience will be such a large driving force in the general
reorganization of this information - that we need to understand who
we're talking to first.  Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
>> The Old SourceForge.net Site
>>
>> ***Apache OFBiz Related Blogs***
>>
>> OFBiz and Open Source by David E. Jones
>> What's New in OFBiz by Si Chen
>>
>> ***Apache OFBiz Communities***
>>
>> Locales
>>   United Kingdom
>>   Germany
>>   France
>>   Netherlands
>>   China
>> Industries
>>   Government
>>   Travel
>>
>> ***Cool Sites***
>>
>> Java.Net
>> SourceForge
>> FreshMeat
>> NewsForge
>> Slashdot
>> JavaLobby
>> TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

My bad - it's up, but running slowly.

http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBIZ/OFBiz.org+New+Site+Plan

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Tim Ruppert wrote:

> [...]
>>> the referenced document is too old
>>> 4d) the "Download Releases" link should be hidden or should point to
>>> the new (temp) folder where the RC1 is stored: I think that the
>>> reference to the OLD sourceforge release can be very confusing for
>>> new users
>>>
>>> 5) in the "Resources & Tools" section:
>>> 5a) add a new link to the new "Misc Resources" page (that needs to
>>> be created)
>>> 5b) move the "Old Mailing Lists", "The Old Java.net Site",
>>> "The Old SourceForge.net Site", "Old Wiki" links to the new "Misc
>>> Resources" page
>>> 5c) remove the "Old Jira (Issue Tracker)" link
>>> 5d) all the following links can be moved (they are already in the
>>> "documentation" page): "Documentation (Confluence)", "Production
>>> Setup Guide", "Documentation" (maybe we could leave just this),

>>> SourceForge
>>> FreshMeat
>>> NewsForge
>>> Slashdot
>>> JavaLobby
>>> TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

David,

I see what you mean and for me it's fine.
By the way, my comments were not intended to be a criticism to the
current site (that, all in all, I like) but things that I have noticed
because I use those links everyday (to go to new/old Jira etc...) and in
the last few months (with the migration to the Incubator etc...) we had
to add a lot of new ones.
Yes, all in all I like the current site, even if I concede I'm not the
best one who could judge the look&feel of a site: this is one of the
things that I tend to ignore when I visit a site and I'm also a bit
colour-blind!

Jacopo

David E Jones wrote:

> [...]
>> The Old SourceForge.net Site
>>
>> ***Apache OFBiz Related Blogs***
>>
>> OFBiz and Open Source by David E. Jones
>> What's New in OFBiz by Si Chen
>>
>> ***Apache OFBiz Communities***
>>
>> Locales
>>   United Kingdom
>>   Germany
>>   France
>>   Netherlands
>>   China
>> Industries
>>   Government
>>   Travel
>>
>> ***Cool Sites***
>>
>> Java.Net
>> SourceForge
>> FreshMeat
>> NewsForge
>> Slashdot
>> JavaLobby
>> TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

Please don't worry about the criticism possibility. This sort of
feedback and interest in the site is just what we need to get some
improvement going!

I guess in general I'd just like to see bigger changes to really make
a good site.

-David

On Sep 15, 2006, at 11:48 PM, Jacopo Cappellato wrote:

> [...]
>>> 4c) the "Release Notes" link can be removed (or hidden) because
>>> it the referenced document is too old
>>> 4d) the "Download Releases" link should be hidden or should point
>>> to the new (temp) folder where the RC1 is stored: I think that
>>> the reference to the OLD sourceforge release can be very
>>> confusing for new users
>>>
>>> 5) in the "Resources & Tools" section:
>>> 5a) add a new link to the new "Misc Resources" page (that needs
>>> to be created)
>>> 5b) move the "Old Mailing Lists", "The Old Java.net Site",
>>> "The Old SourceForge.net Site", "Old Wiki" links to the new "Misc
>>> Resources" page
>>> 5c) remove the "Old Jira (Issue Tracker)" link
>>> 5d) all the following links can be moved (they are already in the
>>> "documentation" page): "Documentation (Confluence)", "Production
>>> Setup Guide", "Documentation" (maybe we could leave just this),

>>> SourceForge
>>> FreshMeat
>>> NewsForge
>>> Slashdot
>>> JavaLobby
>>> TheServerSide

Re: Reviewing the links of the main ofbiz.org site

David E Jones-2

This should improve once we drop the jira instance on that server
(we'll probably give it another couple of days to settle first). That
box is way overloaded in terms of memory right now.

BTW, it looks like in the fairly near future we'll get a jira
instance up on another server for reference purposes and what not
(not a major box or internet line, just a server I'll be putting up
in a few weeks in my office).

-David