Search engine friendly URL's

rohit
hi,

is there any way one can edit the product URL's. The URL's currently include the session ID and are not search engine friendly. It will be helpful if the URls' were made to inculde the product name and that the session ID's were removed. I guess having session id causes something called google dance, wherein googlebot, gets entagled in the different session id each time it crawls a website.

Having the product name in the URL is said to help search engine ranking. one migh search for a product on ebay and check the URL. the URL includes the product name, auction ID, and categry too. This might be subjective, but having the product name in URL does help in search engine rankings.

rohit

Re: Users - Search engine friendly URL's

BJ Freeman
there was a discussion in the mailing list a year or so ago.
if I remember right, it is not a simple task.

rohit2006 sent the following on 5/21/2006 7:08 AM:

> hi,
>
> is there any way one can edit the product URL's. The URL's currently include
> the session ID and are not search engine friendly. It will be helpful if the
> URls' were made to inculde the product name and that the session ID's were
> removed. I guess having session id causes something called google dance,
> wherein googlebot, gets entagled in the different session id each time it
> crawls a website.
>
> Having the product name in the URL is said to help search engine ranking.
> one migh search for a product on ebay and check the URL. the URL includes
> the product name, auction ID, and categry too. This might be subjective, but
> having the product name in URL does help in search engine rankings.
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Search engine friendly URL's

Andrew Zeneski
This actually shouldn't be too hard. What you would want to do is
modify the code used by the ofbizUrl transform (somewhere in the
webapp component, maybe the RequestDispatcher) to check the user
agent of the browser. If it matches a UA for a web crawler then force
it to NOT encode the session ID in URL output.

The URLs for products already use a special path design to include
the query string (without showing that it is a query string) this
addition should make the URLs pretty darn friendly.

Andy

On May 21, 2006, at 10:08 AM, rohit2006 wrote:

> hi,
>
> is there any way one can edit the product URL's. The URL's
> currently include
> the session ID and are not search engine friendly. It will be
> helpful if the
> URls' were made to inculde the product name and that the session
> ID's were
> removed. I guess having session id causes something called google
> dance,
> wherein googlebot, gets entagled in the different session id each
> time it
> crawls a website.
>
> Having the product name in the URL is said to help search engine
> ranking.
> one migh search for a product on ebay and check the URL. the URL
> includes
> the product name, auction ID, and categry too. This might be
> subjective, but
> having the product name in URL does help in search engine rankings.
>
> rohit

Re: Users - Search engine friendly URL's

G.Venkata Phanindra
hi ...rohit....
           i too faced this problem and finally came out with a Solution for this ......
           I basically wrote a Filter,Customized RequestWrappers for each pattern i want
        Filter will catch the request from the Browser before going to the controller and will invoke respective Requestwrappers depending upon the pattern from Url  now  i the request wrapper i have changed the Url Pattern into Ofbiz based one......
and the forward this to controller.......
        Need to be taken are the Url must contain all the parameters that original ofbiz Url is looking for.......
hope u can use this.....
Phani

OnsMay 21, 2006, at 10:08 AM, rohit2006 wrote:

> hi,
>
> is there any way one can edit the product URL's. The URL's
> currently include
> the session ID and are not search engine friendly. It will be
> helpful if the
> URls' were made to inculde the product name and that the session
> ID's were
> removed. I guess having session id causes something called google
> dance,
> wherein googlebot, gets entagled in the different session id each
> time it
> crawls a website.
>
> Having the product name in the URL is said to help search engine
> ranking.
> one migh search for a product on ebay and check the URL. the URL
> includes
> the product name, auction ID, and categry too. This might be
> subjective, but
> having the product name in URL does help in search engine rankings.
>
> rohit

G.Venkata Phanindra
Mob:: 9849852989