Setup with more than one computer

wikitec
Hi Fellas

The network topology I would like OFBiz setup is using more than one
computer using the following options:
1. Application Server + Dbase
2. Web Server + Application Server + Dbase

Now . I would feel confident setting up:

Option 1. (Apps + Dbase) I will be placing the Apps and Dbase between a
firewall i.e. Apps-(192.168.0.192/24) > Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24)

Option 2. (Web Server+ Apps + Dbase) Web Server-(192.168.1.100/24) >
Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24) + Apps-(192.168.2.101/24)

Notice the IP Addresses and different subnet masks.  The question is: OFBiz
should be able to talk to the *dbase*, *webserver* and or *application
server* though ports only - Not relying on the same IP addressing?  In other
words, rather than relying on TCP/IP to transfer information to each node
... or do I need to route the disparate IP addressing so that each node can
see each other through IP addressing

Thanks in advance

Phil

Re: Setup with more than one computer

BJ Freeman
Clarification:
it looks like you want to run two instances of ofbiz
to the same DB.
this takes extra configuration.

FYI the apps use the web server
I think you are referring the Ecommerce side

not sure why you want to use two instances, since the backend (apps) is
ssl and 8443.
you can block that port through the fire wall if you only want intra lan
communications.

i run all behind a firewall, and both the http and https on the internet
using a firewall for ports 80 and 8443.
so the DB is protected.
I believe you can route intra lan usage through a firewall for port 8443
(apps)

Philip Laing sent the following on 10/7/2007 4:19 PM:

> Hi Fellas
>
> The network topology I would like OFBiz setup is using more than one
> computer using the following options:
> 1. Application Server + Dbase
> 2. Web Server + Application Server + Dbase
>
> Now . I would feel confident setting up:
>
> Option 1. (Apps + Dbase) I will be placing the Apps and Dbase between a
> firewall i.e. Apps-(192.168.0.192/24) > Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24)
>
> Option 2. (Web Server+ Apps + Dbase) Web Server-(192.168.1.100/24) >
> Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24) + Apps-(192.168.2.101/24)
>
> Notice the IP Addresses and different subnet masks.  The question is: OFBiz
> should be able to talk to the *dbase*, *webserver* and or *application
> server* though ports only - Not relying on the same IP addressing?  In other
> words, rather than relying on TCP/IP to transfer information to each node
> ... or do I need to route the disparate IP addressing so that each node can
> see each other through IP addressing
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Phil

RE: Setup with more than one computer

wikitec
Hi BJ

No ... not 2 instances ... just break up the installation over 2 computers
i.e. 1st computer with dbase installed and 2nd computer with application
installed

cheers

Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au
> it looks like you want to run two instances of ofbiz
> to the same DB.
> this takes extra configuration.
>
> FYI the apps use the web server
> I think you are referring the Ecommerce side
>
> not sure why you want to use two instances, since the backend (apps) is
> ssl and 8443.
> you can block that port through the fire wall if you only want intra lan
> communications.
>
> i run all behind a firewall, and both the http and https on the internet
> using a firewall for ports 80 and 8443.
> so the DB is protected.
> I believe you can route intra lan usage through a firewall for port 8443
> (apps)
>

> Philip Laing sent the following on 10/7/2007 4:19 PM:
> > Hi Fellas
> >
> > The network topology I would like OFBiz setup is using more than one
> > computer using the following options:
> > 1. Application Server + Dbase
> > 2. Web Server + Application Server + Dbase
> >
> > Now . I would feel confident setting up:
> >
> > Option 1. (Apps + Dbase) I will be placing the Apps and Dbase between a
> > firewall i.e. Apps-(192.168.0.192/24) > Firewall > Dbase-
> (192.168.2.100/24)
> >
> > Option 2. (Web Server+ Apps + Dbase) Web Server-(192.168.1.100/24) >
> > Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24) + Apps-(192.168.2.101/24)
> >
> > Notice the IP Addresses and different subnet masks.  The question is:
> OFBiz
> > should be able to talk to the *dbase*, *webserver* and or *application
> > server* though ports only - Not relying on the same IP addressing?  In
> other
> > words, rather than relying on TCP/IP to transfer information to each
> node
> > ... or do I need to route the disparate IP addressing so that each node
> can
> > see each other through IP addressing
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Phil

RE: Setup with more than one computer

SkipDever
Philip

What you wanna do is pretty easy.  Have a look at entityengine.xml in
framework/entity/config.

Look toward the bottom till you find the database type you use, say
"localpostgres".  Clone this and call it something else, then change where
the jdbc driver looks.  For example, its currently set to
jdbc-uri="jdbc:postgresql://127.0.0.1/ofbiz".

You make a new one maybe like this: "jdbc:postgresql://192.168.1.100/ofbiz".

The database server can be anywhere you want.

Check this out:
http://docs.ofbiz.org/display/OFBTECH/Apache+OFBiz+Technical+Production+Setu
p+Guide

Here is another link:

http://www.undersunconsulting.com/static/OFBizBasicProductionSetup.pdf

Skip

No ... not 2 instances ... just break up the installation over 2 computers
i.e. 1st computer with dbase installed and 2nd computer with application
installed

cheers

Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au
> it looks like you want to run two instances of ofbiz
> to the same DB.
> this takes extra configuration.
>
> FYI the apps use the web server
> I think you are referring the Ecommerce side
>
> not sure why you want to use two instances, since the backend (apps) is
> ssl and 8443.
> you can block that port through the fire wall if you only want intra lan
> communications.
>
> i run all behind a firewall, and both the http and https on the internet
> using a firewall for ports 80 and 8443.
> so the DB is protected.
> I believe you can route intra lan usage through a firewall for port 8443
> (apps)
>

> Philip Laing sent the following on 10/7/2007 4:19 PM:
> > Hi Fellas
> >
> > The network topology I would like OFBiz setup is using more than one
> > computer using the following options:
> > 1. Application Server + Dbase
> > 2. Web Server + Application Server + Dbase
> >
> > Now . I would feel confident setting up:
> >
> > Option 1. (Apps + Dbase) I will be placing the Apps and Dbase between a
> > firewall i.e. Apps-(192.168.0.192/24) > Firewall > Dbase-
> (192.168.2.100/24)
> >
> > Option 2. (Web Server+ Apps + Dbase) Web Server-(192.168.1.100/24) >
> > Firewall > Dbase-(192.168.2.100/24) + Apps-(192.168.2.101/24)
> >
> > Notice the IP Addresses and different subnet masks.  The question is:
> OFBiz
> > should be able to talk to the *dbase*, *webserver* and or *application
> > server* though ports only - Not relying on the same IP addressing?  In
> other
> > words, rather than relying on TCP/IP to transfer information to each
> node
> > ... or do I need to route the disparate IP addressing so that each node
> can
> > see each other through IP addressing
> >
> > Thanks in advance
> >

> > Phil

RE: Setup with more than one computer

wikitec

Thanks Skip

Exactly what I needed thanks for that ... now can I install over 3
computers?

Computer-1 webserver
Computer-2 application server
Computer-3 database

Thanks again ... I really  appreciate your input

Phil

When you say the database can be anywhere you want ... can I have a
different IP address subnet i.e. Application server 192.168.0.1 and Dbase
192.168.200.1?

Thanks

Sorry the terminology.
However running more than one ofbiz on the same DB has some extra
configuration, like the pool.
also you have to decided which services to run on which computer.

suggest you keep the two computers, on for DB and one for ofbiz.

Philip Laing sent the following on 10/7/2007 8:49 PM:

> Hi BJ
>
> No ... not 2 instances ... just break up the installation over 2 computers
> i.e. 1st computer with dbase installed and 2nd computer with application
> installed
>
> cheers
>
> Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au

Adrian Crum
That's what were running here. It shouldn't be a problem in your case.

Philip Laing wrote:

> Hi BJ
>
> No ... not 2 instances ... just break up the installation over 2 computers
> i.e. 1st computer with dbase installed and 2nd computer with application
> installed
>
> cheers
>
> Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au

webserver=application server (unless you are using an Apache front end)

Exactly what I needed thanks for that ... now can I install over 3
computers?

Computer-1 webserver
Computer-2 application server
Computer-3 database

Thanks again ... I really  appreciate your input

Phil

As long as it reachable (ie no firewall or router issues) it can be across
the world (assuming you can deal with the latency).

When you say the database can be anywhere you want ... can I have a
different IP address subnet i.e. Application server 192.168.0.1 and Dbase
192.168.200.1?

Thanks

mikeymwong
Philip,

You can deploy something like this

Computer-1 running httpd with mod_jk
Computer-2 running ofbiz with only mod_jk port open
Computer-3 running DB

Doing so you have to change some configurations in the url.properties file
and find some way to sync all your static files to the httpd doc root.

Mike

Exactly what I needed thanks for that ... now can I install over 3
computers?

Computer-1 webserver
Computer-2 application server
Computer-3 database

Thanks again ... I really  appreciate your input

Phil

Odd Error

SkipDever
I am getting lots of warnings like this:

2007-10-08 20:52:03,096 (AWT-EventQueue-0) [
GenericEntity.java:389:WARN ] In entity field
[GlAccountHistory.postedDebits] set the value passed in
[java.math.BigDecimal] is not compatible with the Java type of the field
[Double]

I am pretty sure I can fix this, but do I need to?

Skip

Re: Odd Error

BJ Freeman
got this on compile from recent 4.0 release
I just added a (long) cast and it fixed it.
have not gone back into to the commit logs to find out why.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/8/2007 9:00 PM:

> I am getting lots of warnings like this:
>
> 2007-10-08 20:52:03,096 (AWT-EventQueue-0) [
> GenericEntity.java:389:WARN ] In entity field
> [GlAccountHistory.postedDebits] set the value passed in
> [java.math.BigDecimal] is not compatible with the Java type of the field
> [Double]
>
> I am pretty sure I can fix this, but do I need to?
>
> Skip

Setup with more than one computer - Security and Apache for a web server

wikitec
Thanks Mike

That is exactly what I was looking for but I didn't quite know how to word
it.

I have slightly changed the subject to fit more closely to where the thread
might be heading

Thanks for the input from everyone; I have been able to glean that:

1. IP Addresses are not an issues with OFBiz's various components talking to
one another, ports and configuration of OFBiz's framework files are the
important areas to consider
2. It is possible to split OFBiz into 2-3 x nodes/servers during
installation

Half the challenge with setting up solutions such as OFBiz is know how it
thinks and what it needs to communicate between the various engines.

The reason I am interested is that I has a bad experience with Compiere.
During development I had left port 80 open through my firewall to single
computer installation and had the web server (Tomcat) hacked into and
broken.  So I am very conscious of security and I am wondered if I could
split the web server and place in DMZ with the rest of OZBiz safely sitting
behind my firewall.  If they break the web server it won't be as big an
issue to fix or protect the dbase and other parts from being compromised by
ID thieves looking credit card and other ID details

Thanks again for your input

Philip Laing Dip. Sys Admin IT
ASC Consultants
33 Vendul Crescent
Port Macquarie NSW 2444

Phone:  61 2 6582 7147
Mobile : 0411827147

Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au
> Computer-2 running ofbiz with only mod_jk port open
> Computer-3 running DB
>
> Doing so you have to change some configurations in the url.properties file
> and find some way to sync all your static files to the httpd doc root.
>
> Mike

RE: Setup with more than one computer - Security and Apache for a web server

SkipDever
Philip

I for one would be interested in knowing how they hacked port 80 if you
know.

Skip

That is exactly what I was looking for but I didn't quite know how to word
it.

I have slightly changed the subject to fit more closely to where the thread
might be heading

Thanks for the input from everyone; I have been able to glean that:

1. IP Addresses are not an issues with OFBiz's various components talking to
one another, ports and configuration of OFBiz's framework files are the
important areas to consider
2. It is possible to split OFBiz into 2-3 x nodes/servers during
installation

Half the challenge with setting up solutions such as OFBiz is know how it
thinks and what it needs to communicate between the various engines.

The reason I am interested is that I has a bad experience with Compiere.
During development I had left port 80 open through my firewall to single
computer installation and had the web server (Tomcat) hacked into and
broken.  So I am very conscious of security and I am wondered if I could
split the web server and place in DMZ with the rest of OZBiz safely sitting
behind my firewall.  If they break the web server it won't be as big an
issue to fix or protect the dbase and other parts from being compromised by
ID thieves looking credit card and other ID details

Thanks again for your input

Philip Laing Dip. Sys Admin IT
ASC Consultants
33 Vendul Crescent
Port Macquarie NSW 2444

Phone:  61 2 6582 7147
Mobile : 0411827147

Web Page: www.ascconsultants.com.au
> Computer-2 running ofbiz with only mod_jk port open
> Computer-3 running DB
>
> Doing so you have to change some configurations in the url.properties file
> and find some way to sync all your static files to the httpd doc root.
>
> Mike

Question

SkipDever

I have this bit of code:

            GenericValue payment = delegator.findByPrimaryKey("Payment",
UtilMisc.toMap("paymentId", paymentId));
            GenericValue paymentMethod =
payment.getRelatedOne("PaymentMethod");

The javadoc for getRelatedOne sez:

Parameters:
    relationName - String containing the relation name which is the
combination of relation.title and relation.rel-entity-name as specified in
the entity XML definition file.

I did not quite understand this statement as it does not seem to make sense
in this context.  Is this parameter a concatination of "Payment" and
"Method" where Payment is the relation.title and Method is the
relation.rel-entity-name?

I kinda dont think so.  I looked in the entitydef file containg Payment and
found this:

      <relation type="one" fk-name="PAYMENT_PMETH"
rel-entity-name="PaymentMethod">
        <key-map field-name="paymentMethodId"/>
      </relation>

So, I am assuming that this particular getRelatedOne call is going to open
the PaymentMethod entity and find the related "paymentMethodId" record.

Is this correct?

Also, if I see a yyy.getRelatedOne(xxx), can I assume that xxx is the entity
name to look in and xxxId is the key name in xxx always?

Thanks

Skip

RE: Odd Error

SkipDever
So should I fix this and post a patch?  Also, looks like a cast to a double
and not a long, and I don't think BigDecimal is castable to Double.  My
intent was to go into the entity engine code and check for BigDecimal return
type and automatically convert it to a Double if that was what is required
by the db.

Also, note that this was a warning, not an error.

got this on compile from recent 4.0 release
I just added a (long) cast and it fixed it.
have not gone back into to the commit logs to find out why.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/8/2007 9:00 PM:

> I am getting lots of warnings like this:
>
> 2007-10-08 20:52:03,096 (AWT-EventQueue-0) [
> GenericEntity.java:389:WARN ] In entity field
> [GlAccountHistory.postedDebits] set the value passed in
> [java.math.BigDecimal] is not compatible with the Java type of the field
> [Double]
>
> I am pretty sure I can fix this, but do I need to?
>
> Skip

Re: Odd Error

BJ Freeman
believe there is a jira on this issue
is the last one.

skip@theDevers sent the following on 10/8/2007 9:50 PM:

> So should I fix this and post a patch?  Also, looks like a cast to a double
> and not a long, and I don't think BigDecimal is castable to Double.  My
> intent was to go into the entity engine code and check for BigDecimal return
> type and automatically convert it to a Double if that was what is required
> by the db.
>
> Also, note that this was a warning, not an error.

Re: Question

Scott Gray
The relation title is usually only used if there if more than one
relationship to a particular entity, for example an entity might have two
relationships with the Party entity like FromParty and ToParty with From/To
being the title and Party being the rel-entity-name.

In a lot of cases there is no title so you just use the entity name, such as
in your case below.

Regards
Scott

On 09/10/2007, skip@theDevers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have this bit of code:
>
>             GenericValue payment = delegator.findByPrimaryKey("Payment",
> UtilMisc.toMap("paymentId", paymentId));
>             GenericValue paymentMethod =
> payment.getRelatedOne("PaymentMethod");
>
> The javadoc for getRelatedOne sez:
>
> Parameters:
>     relationName - String containing the relation name which is the
> combination of relation.title and relation.rel-entity-name as specified in
> the entity XML definition file.
>
> I did not quite understand this statement as it does not seem to make
> sense
> in this context.  Is this parameter a concatination of "Payment" and
> "Method" where Payment is the relation.title and Method is the
> relation.rel-entity-name?
>
> I kinda dont think so.  I looked in the entitydef file containg Payment
> and
> found this:
>
>       <relation type="one" fk-name="PAYMENT_PMETH"
> rel-entity-name="PaymentMethod">
>         <key-map field-name="paymentMethodId"/>
>       </relation>
>
> So, I am assuming that this particular getRelatedOne call is going to open
> the PaymentMethod entity and find the related "paymentMethodId" record.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Also, if I see a yyy.getRelatedOne(xxx), can I assume that xxx is the
> entity
> name to look in and xxxId is the key name in xxx always?
>
> Thanks
>
> Skip

Re: Odd Error

David E Jones

No, don't submit anything. That is an expected message. This is part
of the larger effort to convert all Double based math to be
BigDecimal based.

-David