Sharing jessionid between browsers tabs

Hi all,

We are facing a pb and I would know if anybody never crossed it and found a good solution.
It's easy to reproduce in order manager, creating sales orders using multi tabs in Firefox (or IE 7, or Opera, or even creating new windows with ctrl+n in IE 6)

1. Create an order an choose an item
2. Open a new tab, and go to the order module. If you choose order entry you will find yourself in the same environment than above (with the item choseen, etc.)

This is a known problem
Java : http://www.mojavelinux.com/blog/archives/2006/09/improved_session_tracking/
PHP : http://uk3.php.net/session#74557
ASP/.NET : http://dotnet.org.za/calmyourself/archive/2007/03/09/unique-session-id-between-tabs.aspx

It may no be a problem from OFBiz OOTB POV, but it's hard to explain this to final users which like to use tabs (we all like it isn'it ?) !

I wonder now if we should not offer a solution for this in OFBiz OOTB (with a properties to set the behavior, some may need the duplication between tabs...)

Re: Sharing jessionid between browsers tabs

David E Jones

This is a good place to make sure you separate business requirements from technical limitations.

There isn't a whole lot we can do about how clients treat cookies, etc related to session management. In fact, there are some nice things about the way this works that I'm not sure we want to see changed.

From a business perspective the goal is to have multiple active carts on the order manager, correct?

Some solutions to that have actually been discussed in the history of OFBiz. The main one I remember is the idea of having a series of carts in an array or with a special ID in a Map of carts in the session. When you go into any of the cart pages without passing in a cart number or ID then it would show you a list of the active carts and ask you to select one.

This is an important thing. In general I am way way against keeping things in the session, wherever possible anyway, and for things that are in the session it should be very clear to the user. Passing information in parameters solves a lot of these problems, though of course those need to be used properly and they have their own limitations. Usually with a combination of the two you can achieve behaviors to satisfy pretty much any business requirement, even if it isn't possible to make it flow or behave in any way imaginable.

-David

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are facing a pb and I would know if anybody never crossed it and found a good solution.
> It's easy to reproduce in order manager, creating sales orders using multi tabs in Firefox (or IE 7, or Opera, or even creating new windows with ctrl+n in IE 6)
>
> 1. Create an order an choose an item
> 2. Open a new tab, and go to the order module. If you choose order entry you will find yourself in the same environment than above (with the item choseen, etc.)
>
> This is a known problem
> Java : http://www.mojavelinux.com/blog/archives/2006/09/improved_session_tracking/
> PHP : http://uk3.php.net/session#74557
> ASP/.NET : http://dotnet.org.za/calmyourself/archive/2007/03/09/unique-session-id-between-tabs.aspx
>
> It may no be a problem from OFBiz OOTB POV, but it's hard to explain this to final users which like to use tabs (we all like it isn'it ?) !
>
> I wonder now if we should not offer a solution for this in OFBiz OOTB (with a properties to set the behavior, some may need the duplication between tabs...)

Re: Sharing jessionid between browsers tabs

Thanks David,

I think in a 1st time we will use https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1938 (no coding, quick answer, no risks). How
creasy are things, we sill see later if there is enough budget...

Jacques

De : "David E Jones" <[hidden email]>