Significance of SequenceId field

Alex D. Fleming-2
Hi,

What is the significance of SequenceId field in the database ??
Like we use 1,2,5 and other values for sequence field.
For example see in the Catalog --> Store --> OFBiz E-Commerce Store [9000]
-- > Promos

Regards
Alex D. Fleming

Re: Significance of SequenceId field

cjhowe
It allows a way to sort the results of a query so that
they are returned in an order that is beneficial.

For instance, if you had a list:
Low
Medium
High

and had no sequenceId

the only way you could sort them would be by:
alphabetical order  - High, Low, Medium or Medium,
Low, High

and

character Length order - Low, High, Medium or Medium,
High, Low

entering a sequence gives you:
Low - 1
Medium - 2
High - 3
lets you sort by 1,2,3 or 3,2,1 which results in Low,
Medium, High or High, Low, Medium this is an order
that makes sense.

--- "Alex D. Fleming" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the significance of SequenceId field in the
> database ??
> Like we use 1,2,5 and other values for sequence
> field.
> For example see in the Catalog --> Store --> OFBiz
> E-Commerce Store [9000]
> -- > Promos
>
> --
> Regards
> Alex D. Fleming

Re: Significance of SequenceId field

Alex D. Fleming-2
Thx for the reply Chris.
But sometime its been seen that all the sequence no are set to only 1 or any
single value.
Is that wrong data or something else ??

BTW your explaination was very nice.

Regards
Alex D. Fleming

Re: Significance of SequenceId field

cjhowe
if multiple records have the same sequenceId then a
sort of those will be returned as a group ie

blue = 2
black = 1
pink = 3
brown = 1