Solr/Lucene

Rishi Solanki
Dear All,
I was checking all plugins developed with OFBiz. I  see both Solr and
Lucene are there, may I know why we are keeping Lucene within plugins.

As a framework we already have the Solr which resolves many functional
aspects on the top of Lucene library. Do we have any good reason to keep
the Lucene with us, as far as I remember we sample integration/indexing is
there, but not in use anywhere.

May be we can remove Lucene if it is not in use as we are already using
Solr. Or may be we have good reason to keep both, one reason I could think
of is backward compatibility. Please share your thoughts on this.

Purpose of this email is not to remove the Lucene as plugin, but wanted to
clarify why we are keeping it.

Best Regards,
--
Rishi Solanki
*CTO, Mindpath Technology*
cell: +91-98932-87847
LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rishi-solanki-62271b7/>

Re: Solr/Lucene

Hi Rishi,

If memory serves, Lucene is still used while indexing products and content.

Jacques

Le 28/02/2020 à 12:37, Rishi Solanki a écrit :

> Dear All,
> I was checking all plugins developed with OFBiz. I  see both Solr and
> Lucene are there, may I know why we are keeping Lucene within plugins.
>
> As a framework we already have the Solr which resolves many functional
> aspects on the top of Lucene library. Do we have any good reason to keep
> the Lucene with us, as far as I remember we sample integration/indexing is
> there, but not in use anywhere.
>
> May be we can remove Lucene if it is not in use as we are already using
> Solr. Or may be we have good reason to keep both, one reason I could think
> of is backward compatibility. Please share your thoughts on this.
>
> Purpose of this email is not to remove the Lucene as plugin, but wanted to
> clarify why we are keeping it.
>
> Best Regards,
> --
> Rishi Solanki
> *CTO, Mindpath Technology*
> cell: +91-98932-87847
> LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rishi-solanki-62271b7/>

Re: Solr/Lucene

Pierre Smits-3
Rich, Jacques,
Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community. I guess the
reason is that in past discussions no agreement could be established on
what to do with it. Some fear it is lost forever when removed.

re:If memory serves, Lucene is still used while indexing products and
content.
You're correct. But it is also true that the framework code works with the
plugins.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Pierre Smits
*Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
2008 (without privileges)

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 1:48 PM Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Rishi,
>
> If memory serves, Lucene is still used while indexing products and content.
>
> Jacques
>
> Le 28/02/2020 à 12:37, Rishi Solanki a écrit :
> > Dear All,
> > I was checking all plugins developed with OFBiz. I  see both Solr and
> > Lucene are there, may I know why we are keeping Lucene within plugins.
> >
> > As a framework we already have the Solr which resolves many functional
> > aspects on the top of Lucene library. Do we have any good reason to keep
> > the Lucene with us, as far as I remember we sample integration/indexing
> is
> > there, but not in use anywhere.
> >
> > May be we can remove Lucene if it is not in use as we are already using
> > Solr. Or may be we have good reason to keep both, one reason I could
> think
> > of is backward compatibility. Please share your thoughts on this.
> >
> > Purpose of this email is not to remove the Lucene as plugin, but wanted
> > clarify why we are keeping it.
> >
> > Best Regards,
> > --
> > Rishi Solanki
> > *CTO, Mindpath Technology*
> > cell: +91-98932-87847
> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rishi-solanki-62271b7/>

Re: Solr/Lucene

Pierre Smits-3
IMO, indexing (lucent/solr style) should be a lower level service given the
dependencies in content and product. But maybe it already is?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 2:21 PM Pierre Smits <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Rich, Jacques,
> Thanks for bringing this to the attention of the community. I guess the
> reason is that in past discussions no agreement could be established on
> what to do with it. Some fear it is lost forever when removed.
>
> re:If memory serves, Lucene is still used while indexing products and
> content.
> You're correct. But it is also true that the framework code works with the
> plugins.
>
> Met vriendelijke groet,
>
> Pierre Smits
> *Proud* *contributor** of* Apache OFBiz <https://ofbiz.apache.org/> since
> 2008 (without privileges)
>
> *Apache Trafodion <https://trafodion.apache.org>, Vice President*
> *Apache Directory <https://directory.apache.org>, PMC Member*
> Apache Incubator <https://incubator.apache.org>, committer
> Apache Steve <https://steve.apache.org>, committer
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 1:48 PM Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Rishi,
>>
>> If memory serves, Lucene is still used while indexing products and
>> content.
>>
>> Jacques
>>
>> Le 28/02/2020 à 12:37, Rishi Solanki a écrit :
>> > Dear All,
>> > I was checking all plugins developed with OFBiz. I  see both Solr and
>> > Lucene are there, may I know why we are keeping Lucene within plugins.
>> >
>> > As a framework we already have the Solr which resolves many functional
>> > aspects on the top of Lucene library. Do we have any good reason to keep
>> > the Lucene with us, as far as I remember we sample integration/indexing
>> is
>> > there, but not in use anywhere.
>> >
>> > May be we can remove Lucene if it is not in use as we are already using
>> > Solr. Or may be we have good reason to keep both, one reason I could
>> think
>> > of is backward compatibility. Please share your thoughts on this.
>> >
>> > Purpose of this email is not to remove the Lucene as plugin, but wanted
>> > clarify why we are keeping it.
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> > --
>> > Rishi Solanki
>> > *CTO, Mindpath Technology*
>> > cell: +91-98932-87847
>> > LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/in/rishi-solanki-62271b7/>

Re: Solr/Lucene

Rishi Solanki
Jacques/Pierre,
Thanks for your response and information. My point is if indexing is not in
use on any page, and solr does the same using Lucene. I google it Solr vs
Lucene, and most of the articles in favor of Solr. So just thought to put
this in front of community if ignored or postpone decision due to some
reasons.

Best Regards,