Status of java 1.5 work

Adam Heath-2
As you may have noticed, I committed a *lot* of stuff into svn
yesterday.  Here's what I have done, and what I have left to do.

framework/base is almost completely ported to java 1.5.  The only class
not completed is FlexibleMapAccessor.  However, to finish that, I need
some feedback in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1352

The entity engine is also completely ported.

Unfortunately, both of these components are not warning free; while the
list of warnings they used to have is much reduced, sometimes it's just
not completely possible to reduce them all to zero.

Additionally, framework/{appserver,catalina,jetty,security} are using
java 1.5 syntax now, and those have *no* warnings.  As such, I added the
-Xlint:unchecked arg to javac in their build.xml.

I have started to split out the service engine changes; I've committed a
few of those.

I'm down to 3 split-out patches in my queue, and 6000 lines of
unprocessed raw patch lines.  That's down from 10000 when I started.
These changes bring all of framework into the modern world.

ps: is it me, or does HEAD seem faster now?

Re: Status of java 1.5 work

David E Jones

On Oct 18, 2007, at 10:09 AM, Adam Heath wrote:

> As you may have noticed, I committed a *lot* of stuff into svn
> yesterday.  Here's what I have done, and what I have left to do.
>
> framework/base is almost completely ported to java 1.5.  The only
> class
> not completed is FlexibleMapAccessor.  However, to finish that, I need
> some feedback in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-1352
>
> The entity engine is also completely ported.
>
> Unfortunately, both of these components are not warning free; while
> the
> list of warnings they used to have is much reduced, sometimes it's
> just
> not completely possible to reduce them all to zero.
>
> Additionally, framework/{appserver,catalina,jetty,security} are using
> java 1.5 syntax now, and those have *no* warnings.  As such, I
> added the
> -Xlint:unchecked arg to javac in their build.xml.
>
> I have started to split out the service engine changes; I've
> committed a
> few of those.
>
> I'm down to 3 split-out patches in my queue, and 6000 lines of
> unprocessed raw patch lines.  That's down from 10000 when I started.
> These changes bring all of framework into the modern world.
>
> ps: is it me, or does HEAD seem faster now?
That's great news Adam, thanks for all of your effort in this. Based
on just reading through your patches I'd say yes, it would make sense
that the latest trunk revision is a fair bit faster and more memory
efficient.