Tags and Branches

BJ Freeman
Will the tags and branches be utilized.
especially tags.
Like when a refactor is done.

Re: Tags and Branches

Yoav Shapira-2
Hola,
Why wouldn't they be utilized? ;)  It's kind of a funny question...

Yoav

On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Will the tags and branches be utilized.
> especially tags.
> Like when a refactor is done.

Re: Tags and Branches

BJ Freeman
There was a discussion a when ofbiz moved from cvs to svn.
at that time there was no energy to use them by the committers.

Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:50 AM:

> Hola,
> Why wouldn't they be utilized? ;)  It's kind of a funny question...
>
> Yoav
>
> On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Will the tags and branches be utilized.
>> especially tags.
>> Like when a refactor is done.

Re: Tags and Branches

Yoav Shapira-2
Hi,
So OFBiz didn't, for example, tag releases in the past?  It seems they
did, e.g. on this page:
http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=CVSTips.  CVS/SVN
tagging requires practically zero energy ;)

--
Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
Cambridge, MA, USA
[hidden email] / www.yoavshapira.com

Re: Tags and Branches

BJ Freeman
yes there are some tags in the SVN
3.2.0 was the latest.
there has been refactoring since then.
so it is not always used.

Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:59 AM:

> Hi,
> So OFBiz didn't, for example, tag releases in the past?  It seems they
> did, e.g. on this page:
> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=CVSTips.  CVS/SVN
> tagging requires practically zero energy ;)
>
> Yoav
>
> On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There was a discussion a when ofbiz moved from cvs to svn.
>> at that time there was no energy to use them by the committers.
>>

>> Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:50 AM:
>> > Hola,
>> > Why wouldn't they be utilized? ;)  It's kind of a funny question...
>> >
>> > Yoav

Re: Tags and Branches

Yoav Shapira-2
Hi,
What does "always" mean in this context?  What tags would have liked
to see that are missing?

It seems like the project has guidelines on when to use tagging, e.g.
for each release, and they follow those.  If you want the guidelines
changed, you can always ask and explain why.  But that's very far from
your original question which was a binary "will tagging be used" (at
all) type of inquiry ;)

--
Yoav Shapira
Nimalex LLC
Cambridge, MA, USA
[hidden email] / www.yoavshapira.com

Re: Tags and Branches

an example would be lasts nights refactor.
I would expect it to be first a branch.
then moved into the truck.
This would let those of us that are not aware, of up coming changes, at
least see the changes and make plans on our live sites.

If there was also some work in the branches but none lately, even though
there has been a proliferation of changes.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 6/29/2006 11:03 AM:

> yes there are some tags in the SVN
> 3.2.0 was the latest.
> there has been refactoring since then.
> so it is not always used.
>

> Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:59 AM:
>> Hi,
>> So OFBiz didn't, for example, tag releases in the past?  It seems they
>> did, e.g. on this page:
>> http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=CVSTips.  CVS/SVN
>> tagging requires practically zero energy ;)
>>
>> Yoav
>>
>> On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> There was a discussion a when ofbiz moved from cvs to svn.
>>> at that time there was no energy to use them by the committers.
>>>

>>> Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:50 AM:

Re: Tags and Branches

I accept you advice.
when I am programming, I am not the most diplomatic.

Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 11:09 AM:

> Hi,
> What does "always" mean in this context?  What tags would have liked
> to see that are missing?
>
> It seems like the project has guidelines on when to use tagging, e.g.
> for each release, and they follow those.  If you want the guidelines
> changed, you can always ask and explain why.  But that's very far from
> your original question which was a binary "will tagging be used" (at
> all) type of inquiry ;)
>
> Yoav
>
> On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> yes there are some tags in the SVN
>> 3.2.0 was the latest.
>> there has been refactoring since then.
>> so it is not always used.
>>

>> Yoav Shapira sent the following on 6/29/2006 10:59 AM:
>> > Hi,
>> > So OFBiz didn't, for example, tag releases in the past?  It seems they
>> > did, e.g. on this page:
>> > http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=CVSTips.  CVS/SVN
>> > tagging requires practically zero energy ;)
>> >
>> > Yoav

Re: Tags and Branches

Yoav Shapira-2

On 6/29/06, BJ Freeman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> an example would be lasts nights refactor.
> I would expect it to be first a branch.
> then moved into the truck.
> This would let those of us that are not aware, of up coming changes, at
> least see the changes and make plans on our live sites.

OK, that I understand.  It's much clearer than the original question ;)

The practices on when to branch and when to develop in trunk are not
set in stone.  Different projects / different organizations have
different conventions.

Most projects / organizations use branches only to maintain (i.e. bug
fix, or in rare cases back-port new features) older releases.  Current
development is done in the trunk, not in a branch, except for major
things that may seriously hinder backwards-compatability.  This is
more or less the most common approach.

The reasoning behind this approach is that there are basically two
types of users.  One is the "I want to be cautious, take less risks,
etc." kind, and they use packaged, labelled, tagged releases.  The
other kind is the bleeding-edge user, who always works off the trunk.
That user is responsible for their own risk management, e.g. building
and testing the trunk on their infrastructure / with their
application(s) prior to deploying an unreleased version.

But generally speaker, that type of user doesn't impose the onus on
the development community to work in a branch, only to keep trunk
relatively stable for him or her.

That said, if the OFBiz team wants to use branches / tags more
extensively, there's nothing to stop them.  It's up to you to convince
them.  But from looking at the current tag structure, it's fairly
standard and common.  We do the same in many other projects I'm
involved with (and I wasn't involved in OFBiz in the past, I'm just
observing their SVN repository right now).

Yoav

Re: Tags and Branches

Ean Schuessler
Yoav Shapira wrote:
> The practices on when to branch and when to develop in trunk are not
> set in stone.  Different projects / different organizations have
> different conventions.
Here at Brainfood we branch from trunk when we start development on a
live project and backport changes as we need them. Upstream trunk is too
volatile to merge into a timeline driven development project.