Translation defaulting to english

Hi All,

One question please : I noticed than when CommonEmptyHeader was not filled for french in CommonUiLabels.xml I got the CommonEmptyHeader string and not the english string as before when we used properties files. I remember having seen a discussion about that and thought we were finally using the same scheme (defaulting to english) so it seems I'm wrong or is the code faulty ?

Re: Translation defaulting to english

Jacopo Cappellato-3
My first guess is that this is probably a special situation because
the CommonEmptyHeader in English should just contain a blank
character... this is probably treated as null in some way if you are
using a different locale.
Or is the same happening with other labels?

Jacopo

On May 12, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> One question please : I noticed than when CommonEmptyHeader was not
> filled for french in CommonUiLabels.xml I got the CommonEmptyHeader
> string and not the english string as before when we used properties
> files. I remember having seen a discussion about that and thought we
> were finally using the same scheme (defaulting to english) so it
> seems I'm wrong or is the code faulty ?

Re: Translation defaulting to english

Thanks Jacopo,

I thought the same thing, but did not test. Done now : yes you are right

Jacques

From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>

> My first guess is that this is probably a special situation because
> the CommonEmptyHeader in English should just contain a blank
> character... this is probably treated as null in some way if you are
> using a different locale.
> Or is the same happening with other labels?
>
> Jacopo
>
> On May 12, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> One question please : I noticed than when CommonEmptyHeader was not
>> filled for french in CommonUiLabels.xml I got the CommonEmptyHeader
>> string and not the english string as before when we used properties
>> files. I remember having seen a discussion about that and thought we
>> were finally using the same scheme (defaulting to english) so it
>> seems I'm wrong or is the code faulty ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jacques

Re: Translation defaulting to english

Also while I'm at it : we should try to not use redundant labels when it's the same than in english. This will lighten a bit the
weight of UiLabels.xml files. For instance
    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
        <value xml:lang="ar">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="es">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="fr">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="it">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="nl">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="pt">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="ro">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="th">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh">+</value>
    </property>
becomes
    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
    </property>

I do it as possible right now ...

Jacque

> I thought the same thing, but did not test. Done now : yes you are right
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Jacopo Cappellato" <[hidden email]>
>> My first guess is that this is probably a special situation because  the CommonEmptyHeader in English should just contain a blank
>> character... this is probably treated as null in some way if you are  using a different locale.
>> Or is the same happening with other labels?
>>
>> Jacopo
>>
>> On May 12, 2008, at 12:47 PM, Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> One question please : I noticed than when CommonEmptyHeader was not  filled for french in CommonUiLabels.xml I got the
>>> CommonEmptyHeader  string and not the english string as before when we used properties  files. I remember having seen a
>>> discussion about that and thought we  were finally using the same scheme (defaulting to english) so it  seems I'm wrong or is
>>> the code faulty ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Jacques

Re: Translation defaulting to english

Adrian Crum
The potential downside to that is when an installation changes the
fallback locale to something other than en.

-Adrian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Also while I'm at it : we should try to not use redundant labels when
> it's the same than in english. This will lighten a bit the
> weight of UiLabels.xml files. For instance
>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>        <value xml:lang="ar">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="es">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="fr">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="it">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="nl">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="pt">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="ro">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="th">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>        <value xml:lang="zh">+</value>
>    </property>
> becomes
>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>    </property>
>
> I do it as possible right now ...
>
> Jacque
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Le Roux"
> <[hidden email]>

Ha yes, I did not think about that. For my information how is this precisley done  ?
I think that, indeed, this is a good reason to keep them. What do you think folks ?
Anyway, for the moment I will keep the "+" below...

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>

> The potential downside to that is when an installation changes the
> fallback locale to something other than en.
>
> -Adrian
>
> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>> Also while I'm at it : we should try to not use redundant labels when
>> it's the same than in english. This will lighten a bit the
>> weight of UiLabels.xml files. For instance
>>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>>        <value xml:lang="ar">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="es">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="fr">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="it">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="nl">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="pt">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="ro">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="th">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="zh">+</value>
>>    </property>
>> becomes
>>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>>    </property>
>>
>> I do it as possible right now ...
>>
>> Jacque
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Le Roux"
>> <[hidden email]>

Search the dev mailing lists and commit logs for "candidate locales". If
you can't find it, then there's a good explanation in the Java 6
ResourceBundle API.

-Adrian

Jacques Le Roux wrote:

> Ha yes, I did not think about that. For my information how is this
> precisley done  ? I think that, indeed, this is a good reason to keep
> them. What do you think folks ? Anyway, for the moment I will keep the
> "+" below...
>
> Jacques
>
> From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>
>> The potential downside to that is when an installation changes the
>> fallback locale to something other than en.
>>
>> -Adrian
>>
>> Jacques Le Roux wrote:
>>> Also while I'm at it : we should try to not use redundant labels when
>>> it's the same than in english. This will lighten a bit the
>>> weight of UiLabels.xml files. For instance
>>>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>>>        <value xml:lang="ar">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="es">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="fr">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="it">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="nl">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="pt">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="ro">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="th">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="zh">+</value>
>>>    </property>
>>> becomes
>>>    <property key="CommonOpenTab">
>>>        <value xml:lang="en">+</value>
>>>        <value xml:lang="zh_CN">?</value>
>>>    </property>
>>>
>>> I do it as possible right now ...
>>>
>>> Jacque
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jacques Le Roux"
>>> <[hidden email]>

Found in code using Nabble, thanks Adrian

Jacques

From: "Adrian Crum" <[hidden email]>