Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Ratnesh Upadhyay-2
Hello community,

There are lots of places in code where we have used
UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
. GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?

Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
Lists and normal Maps.

Thanks!!

Regards,
Ratnesh Upadhyay
HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Nicolas Malin-2
I agree, it's easy et native to compare a null value instead of call a
UtilValidate.isEmpty() method

Nicolas

Le 17/06/2016 16:30, Ratnesh Upadhyay a écrit :

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Pranay Pandey-3
+1

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Ratnesh Upadhyay <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Mohammad Kathawala-3
 Makes sense to me. If we can simply do the null check, then we should not
use UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() and increase the overhead.

+1

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 10:13 AM, Pranay Pandey <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pranay Pandey
> HotWax Systems
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Ratnesh Upadhyay <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello community,
> >
> > There are lots of places in code where we have used
> > UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
> object
> > . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> > use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> > and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
> >
> > Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings
> or
> > Lists and normal Maps.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ratnesh Upadhyay
> > HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Mohammad Kathawala
Technical Consultant / Team Lead,
Hotwax Systems,
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Amardeep Singh Jhajj-2
+1

Thanks & Regards,
--
Amardeep Singh Jhajj

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Devanshu Vyas
Completely makes sense.

+1

--
Thanks and Regards,
Devanshu Vyas

HotWax Systems
*https://www.hotwaxsystems.com <https://www.hotwaxsystems.com>*

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Deepak Dixit-3
I agree, we have to start using null check for generic value.

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 11:16 AM, Devanshu Vyas <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Completely makes sense.
>
> +1
>

> --
> Thanks and Regards,
> Devanshu Vyas
>
> HotWax Systems
> *https://www.hotwaxsystems.com <https://www.hotwaxsystems.com>*
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 8:00 PM, Ratnesh Upadhyay <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello community,
> >
> > There are lots of places in code where we have used
> > UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
> object
> > . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> > use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> > and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
> >
> > Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings
> or
> > Lists and normal Maps.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ratnesh Upadhyay
> > HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Michael Brohl-3
+1

Michael Brohl
ecomify GmbH
www.ecomify.de

Am 17.06.16 um 16:30 schrieb Ratnesh Upadhyay:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Deepak Dixit-3
I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.
For old code, Do we need to change existing code?

Thanks & Regards
--
Deepak Dixit
www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1
>
> Michael Brohl
> ecomify GmbH
> www.ecomify.de
>

> Am 17.06.16 um 16:30 schrieb Ratnesh Upadhyay:
>
> Hello community,
>>
>> There are lots of places in code where we have used
>> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
>> object
>> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
>> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
>> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>>
>> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
>> Lists and normal Maps.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ratnesh Upadhyay
>> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Pranay Pandey-3
Yes Deepak, IMO we should change it for existing code as well, because this
type of checks some times cause functional issues on null checks on
GenericValue.

My vote will be to go for it.

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Deepak Dixit <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.
> For old code, Do we need to change existing code?
>
> Thanks & Regards
> --
> Deepak Dixit
> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1
> >
> > Michael Brohl
> > ecomify GmbH
> > www.ecomify.de
> >

> > Am 17.06.16 um 16:30 schrieb Ratnesh Upadhyay:
> >
> > Hello community,
> >>
> >> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> >> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
> >> object
> >> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> >> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> >> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
> >>
> >> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings
> or
> >> Lists and normal Maps.
> >>
> >> Thanks!!
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> >> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

And also because else people tends to reproduce by C/P blocks of code

Jacques

Le 18/06/2016 à 12:21, Pranay Pandey a écrit :

> Yes Deepak, IMO we should change it for existing code as well, because this
> type of checks some times cause functional issues on null checks on
> GenericValue.
>
> My vote will be to go for it.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pranay Pandey
> HotWax Systems
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Deepak Dixit <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.
>> For old code, Do we need to change existing code?
>>
>> Thanks & Regards
>> --
>> Deepak Dixit
>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> +1
>>>
>>> Michael Brohl
>>> ecomify GmbH
>>> www.ecomify.de
>>>

>>> Am 17.06.16 um 16:30 schrieb Ratnesh Upadhyay:
>>>
>>> Hello community,

>> or

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Ashish Vijaywargiya-4
+1

--
Kind Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya

[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Ashish Vijaywargiya-4
+1

--
Kind Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya
HotWax Systems - est. 1997

Big +1 :-)

--
Kind Regards
Ashish Vijaywargiya

On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> And also because else people tends to reproduce by C/P blocks of code
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 18/06/2016 à 12:21, Pranay Pandey a écrit :
>
>> Yes Deepak, IMO we should change it for existing code as well, because
>> this
>> type of checks some times cause functional issues on null checks on
>> GenericValue.
>>
>> My vote will be to go for it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pranay Pandey
>> HotWax Systems
>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Deepak Dixit <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.
>>> For old code, Do we need to change existing code?
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> --
>>> Deepak Dixit
>>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]
>>> >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Pranay Pandey-3
+ Jacques.

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

[hidden email]> wrote:

> And also because else people tends to reproduce by C/P blocks of code
>
> Jacques
>

> Le 18/06/2016 à 12:21, Pranay Pandey a écrit :
>
>> Yes Deepak, IMO we should change it for existing code as well, because
>> this
>> type of checks some times cause functional issues on null checks on
>> GenericValue.
>>
>> My vote will be to go for it.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Pranay Pandey
>> HotWax Systems
>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>>
>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Deepak Dixit <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.
>>> For old code, Do we need to change existing code?
>>>
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> --
>>> Deepak Dixit
>>> www.hotwaxsystems.com
>>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 1:36 PM, Michael Brohl <[hidden email]
>>> >
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Pranay Pandey-3
+1 Jacques.

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM, Pranay Pandey <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> + Jacques.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Pranay Pandey
> HotWax Systems
> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Jacques Le Roux <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> And also because else people tends to reproduce by C/P blocks of code
>>
>> Jacques
>>

>> Le 18/06/2016 à 12:21, Pranay Pandey a écrit :
>>
>>> Yes Deepak, IMO we should change it for existing code as well, because
>>> this
>>> type of checks some times cause functional issues on null checks on
>>> GenericValue.
>>>
>>> My vote will be to go for it.
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Pranay Pandey
>>> HotWax Systems
>>> http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
>>>
>>> On Sat, Jun 18, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Deepak Dixit <
>>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we can make it part of best practice and use for new code.

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Scott Gray-3
+1, good idea thanks Ratnesh

Regards
Scott

On 18 June 2016 at 02:30, Ratnesh Upadhyay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello community,
>
> There are lots of places in code where we have used
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue object
> . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
>
> Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings or
> Lists and normal Maps.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Ratnesh Upadhyay-2
Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs on it. I'll create logical sub
tickets to establish this practice in OFBiz.

Regards,
Ratnesh Upadhyay
HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> +1, good idea thanks Ratnesh
>
> Regards
> Scott
>
> On 18 June 2016 at 02:30, Ratnesh Upadhyay <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello community,
> >
> > There are lots of places in code where we have used
> > UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
> object
> > . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should we
> > use directly null or not null check instead of UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> > and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
> >
> > Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings
> or
> > Lists and normal Maps.
> >
> > Thanks!!
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ratnesh Upadhyay
> > HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

Re: Use of utility method for checking null GenericValue

Paul Foxworthy
See Jira issue OFBIZ-4427 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OFBIZ-4427.

Ratnesh is absolutely right. UtilValidate.isEmpty and ...isNotEmpty should
only be used in places where "emptiness" is relevant. They should not be
used when all that is needed is == null or != null .

The issue has a patch that is now quite old, and a couple of unresolved
questions.

On 24 June 2016 at 00:24, Ratnesh Upadhyay <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thanks everyone for your valuable inputs on it. I'll create logical sub
> tickets to establish this practice in OFBiz.
>
> Regards,
> Ratnesh Upadhyay
> HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 3:04 PM, Scott Gray <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > +1, good idea thanks Ratnesh
> >
> > Regards
> > Scott
> >
> > On 18 June 2016 at 02:30, Ratnesh Upadhyay <[hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hello community,
> > >
> > > There are lots of places in code where we have used
> > > UtilValidate.isNotEmpty() or UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue
> > object
> > > . GenericValue is never empty. Its always null or not null. So should
> we
> > > use directly null or not null check instead of
> UtilValidate.isNotEmpty()
> > > and UtilValidate.isEmpty() for GenericValue objects ?
> > >
> > > Basically these validation methods should preferably be used on Strings
> > or
> > > Lists and normal Maps.
> > >
> > > Thanks!!
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Ratnesh Upadhyay
> > > HotWax Systems | www.hotwaxsystems.com

--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
PO Box 2773

Phone: +61 3 9585 6788
Web: http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/
Email: [hidden email]
--
Coherent Software Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.coherentsoftware.com.au/

Bonsai ERP, the all-inclusive ERP system
http://www.bonsaierp.com.au/