Users - Auto approving Credit Card orders ...

Users - Auto approving Credit Card orders ...

Brad Plies
David & Ian, I have a similar scenario as Ian's. For some orders, for us
to approve the order, the customer must secure the order with a valid
credit card even if they are ultimately paying by check or wire. At the
time of the order creation a mere authorization is performed. Obviously
a failed authorization gives the user an error message and takes them
back to a page for them to make any corrections. A successful
authorization places the order into a queue for manual processing by an
authorized employee. Authorizations that had a mismatched zip code or
something are manually followed-up with the credit card banks to combat
fraud in a way similar to Ian's. From this queue, the orders are
"approved" or canceled based upon the results of the manual verification
(if it was required as our policies require). The authorization *may*
later be captured when the order is being shipped. In our situation, if
it is like Ian's, we do not have or desire an automatic approval in
general. Automatic capture of payment is certainly not desired for us
because fulfillment of the order should be several days away which, as
you stated, could potential violate some merchant agreements.
Additionally in our case some orders may not actually be paid by a
credit card at all, but a valid authorization was required to confirm
the order in the first place, so a capture may never occur and the
authorization should be left to expire after some time. Some
establishments for some market-sensitive products require a customer to
secure their orders with a valid credit card in the event the customer
does not come through with the agreed payment terms (late fees,
cancellation fees, losses from failed transaction).

Just an example use case to consider.

Brad Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 11:23:44 -0700 From: "David E. Jones"
<[hidden email]> Subject: Re: [OFBiz] Users - Auto approving Credit
Card orders ... To: OFBiz Users / Usage Discussion
<[hidden email]> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
cards the auto-approve will only happen if the authorization succeeds.
Of course, if it is setup to use the dummy authorization this will
always succeed. The trick is that if the authorization fails then the
order will be canceled. There are payment methods that support off-line
payment and such, but if you want to require them to enter a credit card
then you'll probably have to make some code changes. Note that the
downside of not doing automated credit card processing is that you can't
authorize the card when the order is placed, so you have no idea if the
card is good or not. For the fulfillment process this gets in some shady
areas because when you run the card manually you generally authorize and
capture at the same time, and then if you don't have it "packed" you are
technically breaking credit card usage rules for sales that are shipped