Users - Entity fundamentals

Charles Johnson-2
In the tutorials we are shown examples of a Party/Person-like entity
(HelloPerson). Would it not be possible to join HelloHobby with Person?

CJ

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Si Chen-2
You mean the OFBIZ Person entity?  Yes, it would.  The tutorial was to
create a completely self-contained example, so that's why it didn't use
the existing OFBIZ entities.  In reality, of course, you should try to
do the exact opposite: reuse as many existing entities as possible.

I should make a note of this in the tutorial.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Si

Charles Johnson wrote:

>In the tutorials we are shown examples of a Party/Person-like entity
>(HelloPerson). Would it not be possible to join HelloHobby with Person?
>
>CJ

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Charles Johnson-2
That's what i thought. I hope (assume) this can be done without altering
the Person entity definition in any way? If so, i've been having
difficulty doing so. I'm just trying to create a one-to-many relation
(unlike the many-to-many relation in the tutorial) between Person and my
entity Appointment respectively. I'm also assuming that this doesn't
need the same kind of joining entity as HelloPersonHobby ...

CJ

Si Chen wrote:

>You mean the OFBIZ Person entity?  Yes, it would.  The tutorial was to
>create a completely self-contained example, so that's why it didn't use
>the existing OFBIZ entities.  In reality, of course, you should try to
>do the exact opposite: reuse as many existing entities as possible.
>
>I should make a note of this in the tutorial.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>
>Si
>
>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>In the tutorials we are shown examples of a Party/Person-like entity
>>(HelloPerson). Would it not be possible to join HelloHobby with Person?
>>
>>CJ

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Si Chen-2
So...hold it right there.  Why are you making an Appointment entity when
there is the WorkEffort entity already?

Charles Johnson wrote:

>That's what i thought. I hope (assume) this can be done without altering
>the Person entity definition in any way? If so, i've been having
>difficulty doing so. I'm just trying to create a one-to-many relation
>(unlike the many-to-many relation in the tutorial) between Person and my
>entity Appointment respectively. I'm also assuming that this doesn't
>need the same kind of joining entity as HelloPersonHobby ...
>
>CJ
>
>Si Chen wrote:
>

>>You mean the OFBIZ Person entity?  Yes, it would.  The tutorial was to
>>create a completely self-contained example, so that's why it didn't use
>>the existing OFBIZ entities.  In reality, of course, you should try to
>>do the exact opposite: reuse as many existing entities as possible.
>>
>>I should make a note of this in the tutorial.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>>
>>Si
>>
>>Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>In the tutorials we are shown examples of a Party/Person-like entity
>>>(HelloPerson). Would it not be possible to join HelloHobby with Person?
>>>
>>>CJ

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Charles Johnson-2
Ah OK. For one thing, I didn't know what WorkEffort meant. For another,
i'd need to support repeating appointments. I wonder if WorkEffort can
do that? I'm going to take a look at it now.

Let's imagine that WE didn't exist at all - can you take up the remarks
in my last posting in that light?

CJ

Si Chen wrote:

>So...hold it right there.  Why are you making an Appointment entity when
>there is the WorkEffort entity already?
>
>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>That's what i thought. I hope (assume) this can be done without altering
>>the Person entity definition in any way? If so, i've been having
>>difficulty doing so. I'm just trying to create a one-to-many relation
>>(unlike the many-to-many relation in the tutorial) between Person and my
>>entity Appointment respectively. I'm also assuming that this doesn't
>>need the same kind of joining entity as HelloPersonHobby ...
>>
>>CJ
>>
>>Si Chen wrote:
>>

>>>You mean the OFBIZ Person entity?  Yes, it would.  The tutorial was to
>>>create a completely self-contained example, so that's why it didn't use
>>>the existing OFBIZ entities.  In reality, of course, you should try to
>>>do the exact opposite: reuse as many existing entities as possible.
>>>
>>>I should make a note of this in the tutorial.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>>>
>>>Si

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

davidnwelton
On 1/13/06, Charles Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah OK. For one thing, I didn't know what WorkEffort meant.

Did you get "The Data Model Resource Book"?  Mine is on order, but
even reading through the table of contents and a few pages via
amazon.com was enlightening in terms of translating some of OFBiz
names into something I can relate to.

--
David N. Welton
 - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
 - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Charles Johnson-2
I'm certainly tempted, but there are two volumes and they're not cheap
;-)

CJ

David Welton wrote:

>On 1/13/06, Charles Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Ah OK. For one thing, I didn't know what WorkEffort meant.
>>

>Did you get "The Data Model Resource Book"?  Mine is on order, but
>even reading through the table of contents and a few pages via
>amazon.com was enlightening in terms of translating some of OFBiz
>names into something I can relate to.
>
>--
>David N. Welton
> - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>
>Linux, Open Source Consulting
> - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

> I'm certainly tempted, but there are two volumes and they're not cheap
> ;-)

The 1st is the one really needed. I bought it 3 months ago but yet have no time
to seriously read it :(

Jacques

> CJ
>
> David Welton wrote:
>
> >On 1/13/06, Charles Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >>Ah OK. For one thing, I didn't know what WorkEffort meant.
> >>

> >Did you get "The Data Model Resource Book"?  Mine is on order, but
> >even reading through the table of contents and a few pages via
> >amazon.com was enlightening in terms of translating some of OFBiz
> >names into something I can relate to.
> >
> >--
> >David N. Welton
> > - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> >
> >Linux, Open Source Consulting
> > - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

Adrian Crum
Just buy Vol 1. The paperback is reasonable. Without a copy of the book on hand,
you'll just be spinning your wheels.

-Adrian

Charles Johnson wrote:

> I'm certainly tempted, but there are two volumes and they're not cheap
> ;-)
>

> CJ
>
> David Welton wrote:
>

>>On 1/13/06, Charles Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>Ah OK. For one thing, I didn't know what WorkEffort meant.
>>>

>>Did you get "The Data Model Resource Book"?  Mine is on order, but
>>even reading through the table of contents and a few pages via
>>amazon.com was enlightening in terms of translating some of OFBiz
>>names into something I can relate to.
>>
>>--
>>David N. Welton
>>- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
>>
>>Linux, Open Source Consulting
>>- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - Entity fundamentals

It's pretty unanimous that you should get the book.

As to why it doesn't work...sorry not nearly enough information here for
me to figure it out.

Si