Users - How to Handle Advance Payment for a Product

Users - How to Handle Advance Payment for a Product

Vinay Agarwal

Hello,

I want to create an ongoing WorkEffort type of product whose price or occurrence rate isn’t known in advance. For this, I would like to take some advance payment and periodically recognize revenue at the actual time of WorkEffort delivery and for the exact amount. Is there a way to create a product that has advance payment associated with it?

Thanks in advance.

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - How to Handle Advance Payment for a Product

David E. Jones

Vinay,

For the most part this sort of thing isn't driven so much by product settings as by ProductStore and other such settings that are not product specific.

As we discussed before there isn't really anything built in for this, but most of the data structures that would be needed do exist, and even quite a bit of logic that should be compatible with this. A fair amount of customization/extension would be needed. You can use basic building blocks like ShoppingList, BillingAccount, Payment and Invoice (and of course OrderHeader and related, etc).

First things first though: what you are describing is not a simple business process and should be defined very carefully before you go any further, including variations and exceptions and so on.

-David

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I want to create an ongoing WorkEffort type of product whose price or
> occurrence rate isn’t known in advance. For this, I would like to take
> some advance payment and periodically recognize revenue at the actual
> time of WorkEffort delivery and for the exact amount. Is there a way to
> create a product that has advance payment associated with it?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - How to Handle Advance Payment for a Product

Si Chen-2
You can create a Payment of type CUSTOMER_DEPOSIT and then apply it to an Invoice later when it is received.  The financials module actually supports offsetting entries so it will automatically move the payment to offset Accounts Receivable when the payment is applied.

Why would you want to associate a Payment with a Product?  It seems there may be some other process you're really aiming to create instead.

Vinay Agarwal wrote:

Hello,

I want to create an ongoing WorkEffort type of product whose price or
occurrence rate isn’t known in advance. For this, I would like to take
some advance payment and periodically recognize revenue at the actual
time of WorkEffort delivery and for the exact amount. Is there a way to
create a product that has advance payment associated with it?

Thanks in advance.

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - How to Handle Advance Payment for a Product

Vinay Agarwal

Si,

Thanks. I have been looking into CUSTOMER_DEPOSIT etc and it does look like the way to go.

Vinay