Users - How to Return to a Previously Marked Screen

Users - How to Return to a Previously Marked Screen

Vinay Agarwal

Hello,

If a user clicks on an item that requires login, the behavior, as expected, depends upon whether the user is logged in or not. If the user is not logged in, then he/she goes through a set of login/register screens. After that, the user returns to the main screen as opposed to the one he/she would have reached if he/she were logged in.

Is there a way to store, (possibly in session) the target screen to return to? In that case, response for login would change from “main” as it is defined now (in ecommerce) to something that recalls the previously marked screen. It may be easily doable but I don’t know enough of syntax to figure it out myself. I would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - How to Return to a Previously Marked Screen

David E. Jones

Where is it that you are seeing it not do this? This is how it's
written, but it is certainly not trivial (in fact it's quite a pain).

Usually this problem comes up if you write your own login routine and
don't set the needed variables in the request.

-David

On Jan 25, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Vinay Agarwal wrote:

> Hello,
>

> If a user clicks on an item that requires login, the behavior, as
> expected, depends upon whether the user is logged in or not. If the
> user is not logged in, then he/she goes through a set of login/
> register screens. After that, the user returns to the main screen
> as opposed to the one he/she would have reached if he/she were
> logged in.
>

> Is there a way to store, (possibly in session) the target screen to
> return to? In that case, response for login would change from
> “main” as it is defined now (in ecommerce) to something that
> recalls the previously marked screen. It may be easily doable but I
> don’t know enough of syntax to figure it out myself. I would
> appreciate any help.
>

> Regards,
>
> Vinay Agarwal

Re: Users - How to Return to a Previously Marked Screen

Vinay Agarwal
I tried it again and found one case that does return to original screen as
desired and another that doesn't.

Case 1: Works as desired
1. Start with ecommerce main screen not logged in
2. Click on view cart
3. Click on login and then log in.
4. View cart screen is back.

Case 2: Doesn't work as desired
1. Start with ecommerce main screen not logged in, demo catalog
2. Click on giant widget
3. Click on login and then log in
4. Displays: Product not found for Product ID !

There was another case where the screen goes back to main but I can't
remember that one--will let you know if I remember.

Regards,
Vinay Agarwal