Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

Mark-60
Hi everybody,

I just started working with ofbiz today.
After downloading Si Chen's version 7445, everything is running smoothly when just starting it using the startofbiz.bat file.

Next, I wanted to use my MySQL database (4.1.19). So I dropped the jdbc driver jar into the entity module's lib directory and changed the entityengine.xml file to use the mysql connector.
I ran:
    %JAVA_HOME%\bin\java -jar ofbiz.jar install -readers=seed > install.txt
The tables where created OK and I could not find any error messages in the install log.

Now comes the problem: I try to start the engine again using the startofbiz.bat file, and after a little while it dies with a NullPointerException.

It happens in this block of DatabaseUtil.java:

                            ColumnCheckInfo ccInfo = new ColumnCheckInfo();

                            ccInfo.tableName = ColumnCheckInfo.fixupTableName(rsCols.getString("TABLE_NAME"), lookupSchemaName, needsUpperCase);
                            // ignore the column info if the table name is not in the list we are concerned with
                            if (!tableNames.contains(ccInfo.tableName)) {
                                continue;
                            }

ccInfo.tableName is null, as are pretty much all other fields of the ccInfo object, so the tableNames.contains() call gets the NPE .

Does anybody know what causes this problem?

Thanks,

MARK

Here is the stacktrace:

C:\WorkSpace\ofbiz\ofbiz_7445>"c:\WorkSpace\ofbiz\j2re1.4.2_08\bin\java" -Xms256M -Xmx512M -Xdebug -Xnoagent -Djava.compiler=NONE -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=5005 -jar ofbiz.jar > logs\console.log
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at java.util.TreeMap.compare(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.TreeMap.getEntry(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.TreeMap.containsKey(Unknown Source)
        at java.util.TreeSet.contains(Unknown Source)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.getColumnInfo(DatabaseUtil.java:1041)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.checkDb(DatabaseUtil.java:154)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.checkDb(DatabaseUtil.java:130)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.datasource.GenericDAO.checkDb(GenericDAO.java:1108)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.datasource.GenericHelperDAO.checkDataSource(GenericHelperDAO.java:208)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.GenericDelegator.<init>(GenericDelegator.java:195)
        at org.ofbiz.entity.GenericDelegator.getGenericDelegator(GenericDelegator.java:127)
        at org.ofbiz.catalina.container.CatalinaContainer.init(CatalinaContainer.java:173)
        at org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.loadContainer(ContainerLoader.java:150)
        at org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.load(ContainerLoader.java:74)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.initStartLoaders(Start.java:257)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.init(Start.java:96)
        at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.main(Start.java:412)

The last few lines in the log are:
11390 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:816:INFO ] - group by not in select   [true]
11390 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:817:INFO ] - column aliasing          [true]
11390 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:818:INFO ] - order by not in select   [false]
11390 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:820:INFO ] - alter table add column   [true]*
11390 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:821:INFO ] - non-nullable column      [true]*
11406 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:858:INFO ] Getting Table Info >From Database
11484 (main) [       DatabaseUtil.java:993:INFO ] Getting Column Info >From Database

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

Mark-60
MySQL had InnoDB since 4.0 - my 4.1.19 is running innoDB, the ofbiz
database is created using innoDB as well.
As far as I know, 5 only has added very advanced stuff like clustering,
stored procedures, triggers, etc, none of which is used by ofbiz.
Or is there anything else that  is new in 5 that would fix my problem?

Thanks,

MARK

From: "Mark" <[hidden email]>

> MySQL had InnoDB since 4.0 - my 4.1.19 is running innoDB, the ofbiz
> database is created using innoDB as well.
> As far as I know, 5 only has added very advanced stuff like clustering,
> stored procedures, triggers, etc, none of which is used by ofbiz.
> Or is there anything else that  is new in 5 that would fix my problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MARK

Why not use Postgresql ?

Jacques

> David Welton wrote:
> >>  Next, I wanted to use my MySQL database (4.1.19).
> >
> > As an aside, IMO, you should really consider something else - either
> > Postgresql, or at least a recent (5) Mysql with InnoDB.
> >
> > --
> > David N. Welton
> > - http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/
> >
> > Linux, Open Source Consulting
> > - http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up newinstall

Mark-60
Well, MySQL 4 is just what I already have running anyway...

So if this is really the reason for my problems, I have no problem changing to whatever else works, but
a) is MySQL 4.1 the problem?
b) What is the best bet to fix it? PostGreSQL? MySQL 5?

Maybe I'll try MySQL 5 tonight, just because I'll only have to spend time on downloading and installing it, but not on learning to configure, secure and maintain it (which I would have to if I switched to PostGreSQL)

Thanks,

MARK

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up newinstall

You may also try HSQL : very fast. Not really recommended for exploitation but faster for test.

Jacques

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

Mark-60
OK, I just installed MySQL 5.0 and tried it again:

1. %JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -jar ofbiz.jar install -readers=seed > install.txt

2. startofbiz.bat

Caused same exception:

[...]

What can I do?

Is there any other step (or parmeter) I need to take? I gave full permissions to that MySQL user ID for the database that is used - no global permissions, however.
The install log file does not seem to have any errors. Does the log entry "Admin socket not configured; set to port 0" mean anything?

Thanks,

MARK

David Welton wrote:

 Next, I wanted to use my MySQL database (4.1.19).

As an aside, IMO, you should really consider something else - either
Postgresql, or at least a recent (5) Mysql with InnoDB.

--
David N. Welton
- http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/

Linux, Open Source Consulting
- http://www.dedasys.com/

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

BJ Freeman
did you update the jbdc driver?
the way to separate the ofbiz problems and outside influences, is to run
  ofbiz under the derby.
if ofbiz works under that, then change to your db.

Mark sent the following on 5/8/06 10:28 PM:

> OK, I just installed MySQL 5.0 and tried it again:
>
> 1. %JAVA_HOME%/bin/java -jar ofbiz.jar install -readers=seed > install.txt
>
> 2. startofbiz.bat
>
> Caused same exception:
>
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>         at java.util.TreeMap.compare(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.TreeMap.getEntry(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.TreeMap.containsKey(Unknown Source)
>         at java.util.TreeSet.contains(Unknown Source)
>         at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.getColumnInfo(DatabaseUtil.java:1041)
>         at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.checkDb(DatabaseUtil.java:154)
>         at org.ofbiz.entity.jdbc.DatabaseUtil.checkDb(DatabaseUtil.java:130)
>         at org.ofbiz.entity.datasource.GenericDAO.checkDb(GenericDAO.java:1108)
>         at
> org.ofbiz.entity.datasource.GenericHelperDAO.checkDataSource(GenericHelperDAO.java:208)
>         at org.ofbiz.entity.GenericDelegator.<init>(GenericDelegator.java:195)
>         at
> org.ofbiz.entity.GenericDelegator.getGenericDelegator(GenericDelegator.java:127)
>         at
> org.ofbiz.catalina.container.CatalinaContainer.init(CatalinaContainer.java:173)
>         at
> org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.loadContainer(ContainerLoader.java:150)
>         at org.ofbiz.base.container.ContainerLoader.load(ContainerLoader.java:74)
>         at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.initStartLoaders(Start.java:257)
>         at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.init(Start.java:96)
>         at org.ofbiz.base.start.Start.main(Start.java:412)
>
> What can I do?
>
> Is there any other step (or parmeter) I need to take? I gave full permissions to
> that MySQL user ID for the database that is used - no global permissions, however.
> The install log file does not seem to have any errors. Does the log entry "Admin
> socket not configured; set to port 0" mean anything?
>
> Thanks,
>
> MARK
>

> Si Chen wrote:
>
>> Try 5.0.  It is really much better.
>>
>> Mark wrote:
>>
>>>MySQL had InnoDB since 4.0 - my 4.1.19 is running innoDB, the ofbiz
>>>database is created using innoDB as well.
>>>As far as I know, 5 only has added very advanced stuff like clustering,
>>>stored procedures, triggers, etc, none of which is used by ofbiz.
>>>Or is there anything else that  is new in 5 that would fix my problem?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>
>>>MARK

Re: Users - NullPointerException when starting up new install

Mark-60
Well, the main difference as far as I can see is that the derby DB did not have to go through the seeding process, so I am not sure what data is in there vs what data would be in it if I went through the seeding process with Derby the same way I did it with mysql.

Since there is no error message at all, I am wondering if it maybe has to do with the seeding process - maybe something is wrong there and things are left out or created wrong.I tried both "seed" reader only and "all" readers, but ended up with the same problem...

MARK