Users - Part numbers

Kenneth Porter
I'm evaluating OFBiz for use in manufacturing and machine shop management.
How are customer BOM's and part numbers handled, if at all, by OFBiz? For
example, I get a BOM with customer part numbers where some parts are made
by me and some are purchased from other vendors, and the result is
assembled and shipped back to the customer. Does OFBiz model this out of
the box?

As a more general question, how should I design my part numbers? (The
company also makes its own products as well as customers'.)

(I've got the first volume of the data modeling book, but it doesn't say
anything about part numbers, except to allude that there's something in
part 2.)

Re: Users - Part numbers

Si Chen-2
It is handled out of the box.  For now, search for "manufacturing
manual" on ofbizwiki.go-integral.com

Kenneth Porter wrote:

>I'm evaluating OFBiz for use in manufacturing and machine shop management.
>How are customer BOM's and part numbers handled, if at all, by OFBiz? For
>example, I get a BOM with customer part numbers where some parts are made
>by me and some are purchased from other vendors, and the result is
>assembled and shipped back to the customer. Does OFBiz model this out of
>the box?
>
>As a more general question, how should I design my part numbers? (The
>company also makes its own products as well as customers'.)
>
>(I've got the first volume of the data modeling book, but it doesn't say
>anything about part numbers, except to allude that there's something in
>part 2.)

Re: Users - Part numbers

Kenneth Porter
--On Monday, March 06, 2006 5:31 PM -0800 Si Chen
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> It is handled out of the box.  For now, search for "manufacturing
> manual" on ofbizwiki.go-integral.com

<http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=ManufacturingUserManual>

Ok, I see how that handles BOM's. But how do I handle mapping customer part
numbers to my part numbers? What if multiple customers use the same part
(eg. some screw or belt) in their assemblies? Is there a table with tuples
of product/customer/customer-part-number?

Is there anything in the ordering machinery so that customers can use their
own part numbers? (This would be needed at all BOM levels so they can order
spares as well as assemblies.)

Re: Users - Part numbers

Jacopo Cappellato
Hi Kenneth,

I think you should look at the GoodIdentification entity: in it you can
store alternative ids for a product. You could add to it an optional
field "partyId" to filter ids per party (customer).

Also remember that in OFBiz, raw materials, subassemblies, finished
products are all stored in the Product entity (we have choosen to not
use the Part data model) so you can use the GoodIdentification for all
the boms levels.

Jacopo

Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Monday, March 06, 2006 5:31 PM -0800 Si Chen
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It is handled out of the box.  For now, search for "manufacturing
>> manual" on ofbizwiki.go-integral.com
>
> <http://ofbizwiki.go-integral.com/Wiki.jsp?page=ManufacturingUserManual>
>
> Ok, I see how that handles BOM's. But how do I handle mapping customer part
> numbers to my part numbers? What if multiple customers use the same part
> (eg. some screw or belt) in their assemblies? Is there a table with tuples
> of product/customer/customer-part-number?
>
> Is there anything in the ordering machinery so that customers can use their
> own part numbers? (This would be needed at all BOM levels so they can order
> spares as well as assemblies.)

Users - Forum

Andrew Sykes
Is anyone using the forum?