Users - RE : Catalog,Categories, Products

Users - RE : Catalog,Categories, Products

cjhowe
While there may be more extravegant uses of these
relationships this description is for a commercial
environment

There are six main tables that you need to be
concerend with for basic cataloging.

ProdCatalog
ProdCatalogCategory
Product
ProductCategory
ProductCategoryMember
ProductCategoryRollup

Three of these are to give information about the item
ProdCatalog
Product
ProductCategory

The other three are to describe the relationships that
exist
ProdCatalogCategory - describes what categories belong
to a catalog
ProductCategoryRollup - describes the relationship
between category and subcategory
ProductCategoryMember - describes the relationship of
a product to a category.

So, to describe the Tiny Gizmo in the Demo Catalog,
the following exists

ProdCatalog
-record for "DemoCatalog"
ProdCatalogCategory
-record for catalog "DemoCatalog" with a category of
"Catalog1" as type "pct_browse_root"
Product
-record for "Tiny Gizmo"
ProductCategory
-record for Category "Catalog1"
-record for Category "Gizmo"
ProductCategoryMember
-record for product "Tiny Gizmo" being a member of
Category "Gizmo"
ProductCategoryRollup
-record for Category "Gizmo" and "Catalog1" as the
parentCategory

This will Give you the following Hierarchy
DemoCatalog (Catalog)
-Catalog1 (Category)
  -Gizmo (Category)
    -Tiny Gizmo (Product)

===========Minh wrote:

Hi Chris,

Actually, I am trying to create a catalog similar to
the demo catalog. I
assumed that the output of the hierarchy would be
similar to the frame
that already present. If it is not, can you explain
how to?

Also, as I am in the process of defining how the
structure of our
catalog will be, are there any suggestions on how an
application's
catalogs should be structures taking into the
consideration how the
API's and other functionalities are implemented? More
precisely, what
drives the decision to make a catalog instead of a
category of a
catalog? I think intuitively one can determine this
but I am wondering
if there are theories or rules of thumbs concerning
this.

Minh

----

Message: 7

Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 15:10:16 -0800 (PST)

From: Chris Howe <cjhowe76013 at yahoo.com>

Subject: [OFBiz] Users -  Catalog,Categories, Products

To: users at lists.ofbiz.org

Minh,

Could you clarify what it is you're trying to do.  I

may have an answer for you, but need clarification as

to your question.  Are you simply trying to create a

catalog that is like the demo catalog or are you

trying to output that hierarchy to the screen?

=========Minh wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to reproduce the structure of the DEMO

CATALOG where there

is a CATALOG and a hierarchy of categories. For

example:

-->Main Catalog

    -->Category 1

          -->Category 1.a

                -->Product 1

                -->Product 2

                -->Product 3

                -->Product 4

                -->Product ...

          -->Category 1.b

                -->Product a

                -->Product b

                -->Product c

                -->Product d

                -->Product ...

    -->Category 2

          -->Category 2.a

          -->Category 2.b

 I haven't figured out the actions to take in the

CATALOG application to

be able to accomplish this.

Thanks,

Minh