Users - Requirement/WorkEffort - request for comment

Users - Requirement/WorkEffort - request for comment

Charles Johnson-4
Silverston, on p.186 states:

"A WORK REQUIREMENT and a WORK EFFORT are two different but related
entities. A work requirement represents the need to perform some type of
work. This could be a requirement stemming from a decision to
manufacture inventory items, deliver services, conduct a project or
repair an asset of the enterprise such as a piece of equipment or a
piece of software.
    A work effort is the fulfillment of the work requirement"

As far as i can see, there doesn't so far seem to be much relating of
Requirement and WorkEffort two going on, particularly in the context of
*internal* requirements. Is this by accident or by design?

Consider the matter of sending emails:

Each email that's sent from the office is not in itself, i think, a work
effort but should be related to some other work effort. This work effort
in turn relates to some requirement. In practice, is it not the case
that every email should be recorded as a communication event?
What facilities are there to ensure that *incoming* mail is so related
where appropriate?

There must be others who have examined these issues and considered them
in light of best commercial practice and i'd be interested in commentary
on this.

CJ

Re: Users - Requirement/WorkEffort - request for comment

Si Chen-2
You might want to search back a bit to discussions I've had with David.
His opinion was that CustRequest should be used to record these things,
instead of Requirement.

Si

Charles Johnson wrote:

> Silverston, on p.186 states:
>
> "A WORK REQUIREMENT and a WORK EFFORT are two different but related
> entities. A work requirement represents the need to perform some type of
> work. This could be a requirement stemming from a decision to
> manufacture inventory items, deliver services, conduct a project or
> repair an asset of the enterprise such as a piece of equipment or a
> piece of software.
>     A work effort is the fulfillment of the work requirement"
>

> As far as i can see, there doesn't so far seem to be much relating of
> Requirement and WorkEffort two going on, particularly in the context of
> *internal* requirements. Is this by accident or by design?
>
> Consider the matter of sending emails:
>
> Each email that's sent from the office is not in itself, i think, a work
> effort but should be related to some other work effort. This work effort
> in turn relates to some requirement. In practice, is it not the case
> that every email should be recorded as a communication event?
> What facilities are there to ensure that *incoming* mail is so related
> where appropriate?
>
> There must be others who have examined these issues and considered them
> in light of best commercial practice and i'd be interested in commentary
> on this.
>
> CJ

Re: Users - Requirement/WorkEffort - request for comment

David E. Jones

Si Chen wrote:
> You might want to search back a bit to discussions I've had with David.
> His opinion was that CustRequest should be used to record these things,
> instead of Requirement.

To say what should be used more information on the intended problem to solve would be necessary. Requests are for information coming from a client/customer or prospective client/customer. Requirements can be assembled in response to those and then associated with Work Efforts to manage the actual fulfillment of requirements.

-David

Si Chen wrote:

>You might want to search back a bit to discussions I've had with David.
>His opinion was that CustRequest should be used to record these things,
>instead of Requirement.
>
>Si
>
>Charles Johnson wrote:
>

>>Silverston, on p.186 states:
>>
>>"A WORK REQUIREMENT and a WORK EFFORT are two different but related
>>entities. A work requirement represents the need to perform some type of
>>work. This could be a requirement stemming from a decision to
>>manufacture inventory items, deliver services, conduct a project or
>>repair an asset of the enterprise such as a piece of equipment or a
>>piece of software.
>>    A work effort is the fulfillment of the work requirement"
>>

>>As far as i can see, there doesn't so far seem to be much relating of
>>Requirement and WorkEffort two going on, particularly in the context of
>>*internal* requirements. Is this by accident or by design?
>>
>>Consider the matter of sending emails:
>>
>>Each email that's sent from the office is not in itself, i think, a work
>>effort but should be related to some other work effort. This work effort
>>in turn relates to some requirement. In practice, is it not the case
>>that every email should be recorded as a communication event?
>>What facilities are there to ensure that *incoming* mail is so related
>>where appropriate?
>>
>>There must be others who have examined these issues and considered them
>>in light of best commercial practice and i'd be interested in commentary
>>on this.
>>
>>CJ

Thanks Si. Please see my reply to David on this one

David E Jones wrote:

>Si Chen wrote:
>

>>You might want to search back a bit to discussions I've had with David.
>>His opinion was that CustRequest should be used to record these things,
>>instead of Requirement.
>>

>To say what should be used more information on the intended problem to solve would be necessary. Requests are for information coming from a client/customer or prospective client/customer. Requirements can be assembled in response to those and then associated with Work Efforts to manage the actual fulfillment of requirements.
>
>-David
>

>>Charles Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Silverston, on p.186 states:
>>>
>>>"A WORK REQUIREMENT and a WORK EFFORT are two different but related
>>>entities. A work requirement represents the need to perform some type of
>>>work. This could be a requirement stemming from a decision to
>>>manufacture inventory items, deliver services, conduct a project or
>>>repair an asset of the enterprise such as a piece of equipment or a
>>>piece of software.
>>>    A work effort is the fulfillment of the work requirement"
>>>

>>>As far as i can see, there doesn't so far seem to be much relating of
>>>Requirement and WorkEffort two going on, particularly in the context of
>>>*internal* requirements. Is this by accident or by design?
>>>
>>>Consider the matter of sending emails:
>>>
>>>Each email that's sent from the office is not in itself, i think, a work
>>>effort but should be related to some other work effort. This work effort
>>>in turn relates to some requirement. In practice, is it not the case
>>>that every email should be recorded as a communication event?
>>>What facilities are there to ensure that *incoming* mail is so related
>>>where appropriate?
>>>
>>>There must be others who have examined these issues and considered them
>>>in light of best commercial practice and i'd be interested in commentary
>>>on this.
>>>
>>>CJ

Further to my earlier comment, this is what Silverston has to say on
WorkRequirement: (p. 186)

"Where does a work requirement come from? A work requirement is created
when there is a need to perform some type of work by the enterprise,
either for the enterprise or for an external organisation, most likely a
customer".

Charles Johnson wrote:
> Further to my earlier comment, this is what Silverston has to say on
> WorkRequirement: (p. 186)
>
> "Where does a work requirement come from? A work requirement is created
> when there is a need to perform some type of work by the enterprise,
> either for the enterprise or for an external organisation, most likely a
> customer".

So, what is it that you are trying to do or understand? This doesn't seem to have anything to do with the OFBiz data model, but rather trying to understand what Silverston wrote. If you get hung up on individual terms used in his text I'm not sure that will be terribly productive.

If you have questions about the OFBiz data model, this is a great place to ask them, and that is what I tried to write to in my comments.

If you have questions about The Data Model Resource Book, chances are no one can help you here because none of us were involved in that book. We are just consumers of it.

BTW, replying below text is fine, but annoying if it is a reply to a long message. You might want to consider a practice of trimming the text to reply below (the conversation style), or just reply above for more general comments.

Re: Users - Requirement/WorkEffort - request for comment

Charles Johnson-4

So, what is it that you are trying to do or understand? This doesn't
seem to have anything to do with the OFBiz data
model, but rather trying to understand what Silverston wrote. If you get
hung up on individual terms used in his text I'm not sure that will be
terribly productive.

I'm trying to ensure that Requirement is correctly connected in the work
flow with WorkEffort so it is very much to
do with the OFbiz data model. However, i've answered my own question:
they are connected through WorkRequirementFulfillment

BTW, replying below text is fine, but annoying if it is a reply to a
long message. You might want to consider a pra
ctice of trimming the text to reply below (the conversation style), or
just reply above for more general comments.

OK - will do. I hope this reply is to your liking

CJ