Users - Shipping, packaging, rate calculation...

bjc

Users - Shipping, packaging, rate calculation...

bjc
First off, let me say that I'm highly impressed with ofbiz.  I
discovered it about ten days ago, and immediately felt very much at
home with the architecture;  I know just how productive this can be!
Also, I could see that you were _years_ ahead, and that you've
already tackled several of the thorny business issues that my
customers are facing these days.  So, I'm testing the waters, hoping
to be baptized as a convert!  So far, my hat is off to the ofbiz
community :-)

One thing that I need to figure out in order to serve a current
client is how the shipping estimate is obtained...   in the five-year-
old system we're porting to Ofbiz, we had built a packaging
calculator and a place for our client to add package dimensions and
weight capacities.  We then applied a relatively trivial optimization
process by trying to fit all items in an order into one box, and
moved up a box size if it didn't fit.  We kept this up until we had
to start a new box.

Pretty basic, but it obviously allowed the end user to be quoted
significantly less expensive prices from UPS than would have been
possible just shipping one "item" per box, etc.  By the way - items
are units of measure of a wholesale cloth.  One tricky element,
therefore, is that the product can be rolled up, so 20 square feet
comes in one 4 foot piece rolled up, rather than 20 stacked 1x1
pieces or a 4x5 sheet.

I've found the portion of the admin section where a shipment can be
made for the order, and packages created and filled by an employee,
but this is all long after the rate estimate and payment processing.
How does the rate estimate correlate to the packaging process?  Is it
already performing any kind of packaging calculation when obtaining
shipping quotes?  If so, where is the code for this located?
Otherwise, where exactly does the hand-off from products to what I've
been calling "shipment items" take place?  Would it make sense to
inject something to convert products to packages at that point?

I appreciate any guidance you can offer,

   Ben

Re: Users - Shipping, packaging, rate calculation...

Daniel Kunkel
Hi Ben

Welcome!

I sent out a proposal  a while back...  repeated here for an improvement
to the shipping scheme that sounds like an exact fit. There is an open
issue in Jira where you can add your thoughts on how the scheme might be
improved.

http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-669

Unfortunately, its beyond my time and resources to implement, however
with your help that might change.

---

I've got an idea for an improved shipping scheme I wanted to run by
other OFBiz users and see what everyone thought...

Although we have the USPS rate estimator working, I'm discovering that
it's very difficult to charge competitive shipping rates because the
packing material weights vary so much...

The idea I have is to add a new table of box sizes, recording both the
overall size, and the usable inner size. Then OFBiz will simply figure
out the box that's large enough for the largest item(s) and that has
enough shipping volume to handle the combined products.

The weight of this box can then be used when calculating the postage
weight for the order.

----

Can anyone help fund the development of this feature?  I've created a
jira issue for this with a few more details of the proposed algorithm,
which would be a good place to add your thoughts.

Thanks

Daniel

On Thu, 2006-03-16 at 23:29 -0800, Benjamin Cox wrote:

> First off, let me say that I'm highly impressed with ofbiz.  I
> discovered it about ten days ago, and immediately felt very much at
> home with the architecture;  I know just how productive this can be!
> Also, I could see that you were _years_ ahead, and that you've
> already tackled several of the thorny business issues that my
> customers are facing these days.  So, I'm testing the waters, hoping
> to be baptized as a convert!  So far, my hat is off to the ofbiz
> community :-)
>
> One thing that I need to figure out in order to serve a current
> client is how the shipping estimate is obtained...   in the five-year-
> old system we're porting to Ofbiz, we had built a packaging
> calculator and a place for our client to add package dimensions and
> weight capacities.  We then applied a relatively trivial optimization
> process by trying to fit all items in an order into one box, and
> moved up a box size if it didn't fit.  We kept this up until we had
> to start a new box.
>
> Pretty basic, but it obviously allowed the end user to be quoted
> significantly less expensive prices from UPS than would have been
> possible just shipping one "item" per box, etc.  By the way - items
> are units of measure of a wholesale cloth.  One tricky element,
> therefore, is that the product can be rolled up, so 20 square feet
> comes in one 4 foot piece rolled up, rather than 20 stacked 1x1
> pieces or a 4x5 sheet.
>
> I've found the portion of the admin section where a shipment can be
> made for the order, and packages created and filled by an employee,
> but this is all long after the rate estimate and payment processing.
> How does the rate estimate correlate to the packaging process?  Is it
> already performing any kind of packaging calculation when obtaining
> shipping quotes?  If so, where is the code for this located?
> Otherwise, where exactly does the hand-off from products to what I've
> been calling "shipment items" take place?  Would it make sense to
> inject something to convert products to packages at that point?
>
> I appreciate any guidance you can offer,
>
>    Ben

Daniel

*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-
Have a GREAT Day!

Daniel Kunkel           [hidden email]
BioWaves, LLC           http://www.BioWaves.com
14150 NE 20th St. Suite F1
Bellevue, WA 98007
800-734-3588    425-895-0050
http://www.Apartment-Pets.com  http://www.Focus-Illusion.com
http://www.Brain-Fun.com       http://www.ColorGlasses.com
*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-.,,.-*"*-

Re: Users - Shipping, packaging, rate calculation...

From: "Daniel Kunkel" <[hidden email]>

> Hi Ben
>
> Welcome!
>
> I sent out a proposal  a while back...  repeated here for an improvement
> to the shipping scheme that sounds like an exact fit. There is an open
> issue in Jira where you can add your thoughts on how the scheme might be
> improved.
>
> http://jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-669
>
> Unfortunately, its beyond my time and resources to implement, however
> with your help that might change.
>
> ---
>
> I've got an idea for an improved shipping scheme I wanted to run by
> other OFBiz users and see what everyone thought...
>
> Although we have the USPS rate estimator working, I'm discovering that
> it's very difficult to charge competitive shipping rates because the
> packing material weights vary so much...
>
> The idea I have is to add a new table of box sizes, recording both the
> overall size, and the usable inner size.

Usable inner size isn't difficult to know ? For example for hardware you have to
stuff the box with polystyrene, paper or such, but for shirt you don't need
it...

Jacques

bjc

Re: Users - Shipping, packaging, rate calculation...

bjc
I've been thinking about this somewhat over the last couple of days.
As a few participating in the Jira discussion (http://
jira.undersunconsulting.com/browse/OFBIZ-669) seem to imply, a one-
size-fits-all algorithm may actually fit none!  [As an aside, should
I be posting this over there - either instead of or as well as over
here?]

I also think that the degree to which each business cares is likely
to vary... at least it has in my experience.  For instance, I have a
high-end clothing retailer who simply wants to define a flat shipping
price per item based on the same packaging by type and not try to
save their clients a dime.  I doubt he'll stick to that once he gets
a $50 shipping cost for 10 pair of socks, but since the socks would
probably cost $500, I could be wrong ;-)  I also have a guy who's
selling many pounds per order of sometimes-rollable wire mesh.  That
pair alone is a pretty broad spectrum of requirements.

What I would love to see a means of associating little bundles of
rules with various levels of the entity model, and a "cascading style
sheets" approach to applying these plugins.  If I could plug in my
rules at various levels  (i.e. store, catalog, facility, product
group, product types, product, product variant, product
component, ...?) and have them override the higher-level rules, I
think that may provide the least duplication of rule sets and their
application.  It may be confusing to ask an end-user to do this,
however, so perhaps we define several of the simpler configurations
as out-of-the-box options.

Regardless, as David pointed out, the optimization problem is not a
trivial one, even in an individual case.  As others have indicated,
there are several parameters.  While certain verticals may share
optimal packaging processes, I suspect that most who have optimized
these at estimate time have done so on their own nickel.  Otherwise,
there are simply too many variables.

It can be useful to get a handle on what many of these are, however,
in order to learn how to allow customizers to add their logic...  I'm
not sure where to start collecting them so we can grow the list (the
Wiki? the Jira thread?), but, some of them that I've thought of include:

    * Split shipment okay?
    * Packaging materials
       * Volume
       * Weight
       * In-container padding and/or wrapped product and/or shape-
maintaining packaging (i.e. an expensive new suit)?
    * Packages
       * Sizes
       * Weight capacities
       * Construction materials/costs (i.e. to build a custom crate)
       * Quantity available at each facility...  do we even want to
go there?
    * Carrier
       * Package size tiers (when is 2" deeper an oversize package?)
       * Weight limits
       * Other carrier-specific variables (UPS charges more for
Residential addresses, some charge more for large shipments that
require a Lift Gate, etc.)
    * Product
       * Sold/Packaged By
          * Unit
          * Weight
          * Volume
          * Area
       * Is it stackable?
       * Is it warpable (rollable)?
       * Are pieces individually packaged?
       * Temperature requirements (i.e. refrigerated)
       * HazMat

I will most likely be devoting some time to a solution in the near
future, but don't have time or energy to solve every variation.  I'm
not yet familiar enough with the ofbiz architecture to know just how
or where to plug in such plugins, or introduce that mechanism.  I'd
be happy to build up a little more infrastructure to support this
more flexible future if I can collaborate with one of you more-
experienced developers.  Otherwise, it's probably not in my short-
term budget to tackle the broader problem...

Thanks,

   Ben